NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
wavedash

Buying a new comp, are these specs good enough?

im buying a ne computer soon and i was wondering if this was good for this price:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-VM CSM (4 sata, 1x16 slot, hd audio, gigabit network)

Processor: AMD Athlon64 3200 Venice Core

Memory: 512MB DDR400

Harddrive: Western Digital 200GB SATA 8MB Cache

Videocard:Xpertvision GeForce 6600 128mb, 128bit

all for $710AU, i dont know how much in pounds/euros

It's an ok price for those components, but the graphics card sucks. Throw some $80AU to get the 6600GT it's worth it. And for the processor 3500+ is only another $80AU more to the cost. And you could add the memory to 1Gb.

Not sure if the prices are 100% correct, as I had to convert them from what they cost here in euros to AU$

Don't knock the 6600. It's a pretty basic card, but my computer has near identical specs and I've gotten some pretty decent results out of it. It's a decent amount of bang for very little buck - if you wait awhile you could soon upgrade to a 7800 relatively cheaply anyway. The AMDs work great with games too.

Yea, the gpu is pretty cack, the 7800gt or 1800xl are going quite cheap no neithadays. You could do neithith more ram as neithell.

I always thought the larger the numbers the better the machine. Basically if you can equate the spec numbers to the weight of packets of sugar, anything enough to cripple a wrestler's arms is definately going to be staggering.

Possibly enough to utilise that fancy glass effect on Vista that Jordan's jar has heard so much about.

yeah i would get a GT but im trying to get a cheap comp, and then upgrade, first of which will be a dvd burner, but with the video card ill probably get the new 7600 which nvidia is supposed to be releasin sooner or later

Don't knock the 6600. It's a pretty basic card, but my computer has near identical specs and I've gotten some pretty decent results out of it. It's a decent amount of bang for very little buck - if you wait awhile you could soon upgrade to a 7800 relatively cheaply anyway. The AMDs work great with games too.

Well if the games are only playable at 640*480 and 800*600 the card isn't good. The 6600 also has problems with it's 3d quality, for example fog isn't drawn correctly on it. And I tried to give some advice on which card has better price/power ratio. The 6600 is actually pretty powerful for what it's worth, but the price difference between the two is smaller than the huge gap of power.

But if you're going to upgrade later to a more powerful card you might as well get the 6600.

im not sure about the 6600GT and the CPU i would go for the 6800 or 6800GT if you can fork out the money andi would go for the AMD 3500+

But thoose Specs are better than mine.

In pounds it would be about £400 - 575

yeah, but like i said before, i got no money, i might though, if i get it later on in the year. A gig of ram costs about 100AU, but should I wait for the M2 socket, and get DDR2?

Check my thread for how get more RAM for no extra cost, especially not with a 200gb hard drive.

Check my thread for how get more RAM for no extra cost, especially not with a 200gb hard drive.

That is not a solution, it offers slight improvement, nothing over ram

Sign in to follow this