N-Europe

NME Awards

Platty

Ok i went to one of the many shows last week, was awesome seeing We are Scientists & Arctic monkeys but tonight is the actual awards so is anyone watching??

There has already been a superb performance by Razorlight showcasing a new song but if you cant be arsed to win here are the winners:

Best British Band

Arctic Monkeys

Best International Band

The Strokes

Best Solo Artist

Kanye West

Best New Band

Arctic Monkeys

Best Live Band

Franz Ferdinand

Best Album

'Employment' - Kaiser Chiefs

Best Track

'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor' - Arctic Monkeys

Best Video

'The Importance Of Being Idle' - Oasis

Best Music DVD

Live8

Best Event

Carling Weekend: Reading And Leeds Festivals

Best TV Show

'Gonzo'

Best Radio Show

Zane Lowe (Radio 1)

Best Film

'Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire'

Best Website

NME.COM

Best Venue

Brixton Carling Academy

Hero Of The Year

Bob Geldof

Villain Of The Year

George Bush

Best Dressed

Ricky Wilson

Worst Dressed

Justin Hawkins

Worst Album

'Back To Bedlam' - James Blunt

Worst Band

Son Of Dork

Sexiest Man

Pete Doherty

Sexiest Woman

Madonna

http://www.nme.com

Now dont get me wrong i love the Arctic Monkeys and they fully deserved the best new band award but the others? hmmm

I was going to watch it but that present is such an unfunny tosser I switched over after the Razorlight perfomance (interesting new song, slower but nice. Johnny Borrell's new hair is bad though) to Angel on Sky One and am now watching Veronica Mars, much better night.

Personally I feel Juicebox is a better video, then again I enjoy smuttiness.

Complete fucking douschebags the lot of em. Respect to Arctic Monkeys for getting where they have, but NME have taken away any credibility they had in that swamp of hype. Next week I'm guessing the front page will have a big close of Alex Turner 'coolest man alive' according to the tossers, with 'It's really happening now!', then maybe some Morrisey, Maximo Park, Ian Brown, the lot. And Pete Doherty sexiest man? HE IS AN UGLY SKAGHEAD!

I know a lot of you are having ago at NME for the winners but in actual fact they were all voted for by readers of the magazine and in some catergories viewers of T4, HMV online customers and so on and so forth.

But of course i suppose NME could have rigged it all up and the average joe's vote didnt mean fuck all but i dont see why they would do that.

fuckthenme.atspace.com is a brilliant piss-take site for you fellow haters, but it was better when it actually parodied the look exactly from the site. They've stopped updating now, but I can only presume this is because NME is beyond parody now. New Musical Express is a funny name really when the same old tired bands or bandwagon-jumpers are paraded across the cover each week to go with bloody trends. No Sigur Ros, Cooper Temple Clause, Mars Volta, Mogwai, Aloha, or a load of other new or otherwise bands with brilliant new music, just the same boring formula. And why do they bullshit so much to sell copies??? 'Mike Skinner goes into rehab' this week, when he was actually filming a new video. 'Radiohead - new material?!' - no thats a 1987 demo or two...'Summer Tour Revealed?!' - no a one off Big Ask charity gig featuring Thom and Jonny...'V Festival Headliners?!' - no, thats just bullshit full stop. And to declare Ian Brown 'godlike genius' has to have some sense of irony. I could go on...but i won't. The fact that these results were voted for by fans just shows how much damage such an accessible mag can do to the 'indie' loving music public anyway.

In your opinion of course Schizoid Man.

I buy NME and Q on a regular basis and like them both, however i never use them to judge what music i like, same goes for a games magazine, i never really listen to reviews good or bad, i make up my own mind as i think most people do. Magazine's are too opinionated and do try to shove things infront of you just like anything in the media world.

One good thing i do like about NME is the listings of upcoming gigs and tours from bands at the back and also the bit that lists gigs going on that week no matter how big or small (kinda like a mini time out) Ive manage to get to lots of gigs around London that i didnt know about just from seeing it at the back of the NME one wednesday morning.

What pisses me off is that NME at the moment is all like, "oh yeah the British music scene" and basically ignores any other music scene in other countries and plays out that right now the UK is where "it's at". And it's total bollocks, aside from the fact pretty much every band that won these awards I hate, they're loads of of new bands in America hat are fucking brilliant but NME don't give their time too at all.

I saw some of this last night as I was channel flicking, but the presenter was such a drip I couldn't bear to watch it all. His jokes were about as dry as the magazine itself. It was horrible television, saved only by Kanye West's little speech for Best Solo Artist, and Bob Geldof accusing them of rigging the Best Event category in favour of Carling, who coincidentally sponsored one of the awards.