NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Katie

2 Hours sleep a night?

Thats just what this planet needs, humans destroying it for an extra 6 hours a day.

I saw that - and was thinking about how boring life would get if there wasnt sleep. Well, my life would be anyway...

Man, I could've used that stuff... I had to do with two hours of sleep without having a pill to help me. Which is probably why I kinda collapsed and got depressed and had to quit school. ='D

I'd be useful in an emergency, like when you have to work through most of the night but I can imagine people relying on them a bit too much.

There are already drugs to help people function without sleep.

I've been taking them for years.

hehe, more time for gaming :D

But I don't think this won't have any negative side effects after all, over the thousands of years the body had enough time to develop an effective sleep pattern and messing with it surely wouldn't be good. After all you need the light sleep, where you dream in order to be able to cope with the problems of the day. And in sleep the heart doesn't have to work so hard but with only two hours I think there would be little recreation time.

I was recently in a lecture about sleep. You only need about 2hours of "deep sleep" (wich comes after 4hours or so of normal sleep). But i don't agree with it. I'w never considerd taking pills a good way of human evolution.

I had less than 2 hours sleep last night. And several beers too, My week has been pretty much like that and I'm functioning fine. Who needs a pill for what insomnia does naturally?

The army would probaly be intrested in them. I think the sounds pretty neat, mean i could do more work in a day, and have more time to read/surf the net/ play games/meet friends.

I was recently in a lecture about sleep. You only need about 2hours of "deep sleep" (wich comes after 4hours or so of normal sleep). But i don't agree with it. I'w never considerd taking pills a good way of human evolution.

I thought it was of every 4 hours of sleep 2 is deep sleep, 30 mins are light sleep and 1 hour 30 mins are something else, and this is repeated about twice during the night. (equalling 8 hours of sleep). anyway I think these pills should only be used if say you are working on a project or are in the army or something not taken every night.

If it gets perfected enough so that there's no side-effects or anything then I'd probably use some but not every day. More like once a month or less...

I only had 3 hours sleep last night and im i wreck right now.

Went to the NME gig at Brixton, got pretty drunk, got home about 1:30 - 2am and then had to get up at 5am for work! and i drove into work today probably still over the limit and mega sleepy but meh...i made there and back alright :)

Im now home and gonna have a sleep for a couple of hours before i go out later about 8 or something.

/bed

I like to sleep, it gets me off the pc, my 40+ hours a week aren't doing me any good and sleep rests my eyes.

*waits for emo's thoughts and knowledge*

In weekday I get about 6 hours of sleep. So after a few days I start getting dreary and napping after school. But then I have about 8 hours on sat (have to get up for footy) then 12 hours on sun. Then it starts again.

I hardly sleep enough as it is, 2 hours would make me even more screwed.

Apparently though, you only need about 20-50 minutes of sleep, the rest is just your brain getting your body ready for the next day. It just annoys me how you feel more asleep when you wake up than when you go to bed! :)

These would be awesome. I often find that there's too much to do in one day and have very little sleep most nights (6 hours or so). As for taking pills, I dunno' i dont really want to put anything into my body that could mess up the natural 'rhythm'. I really should priortise instead...

What is the aim for this pill? Sure a small minority will be interested, but its totally un-natural. Sure we are basicly killing off everything natural, but i personally think sleep is vital. I'd rather sleep than have constant pills.

But on a positive side, it may improve already usable services. Public transport will no longer be restricted by the time. New york could litterally be the city that never sleeps instead of being a city with random cases of insomnia.

Also some illnesses require you to rest, it wouldnt be fully restful if you didnt sleep, so if those pills are introduced, drug companies would make even more money by selling drowsiness pills.

In a way, people will become more grouchy that they are constantly in work their lives, increasing crime and killing society.

I'l keep looking into this, its interesting.

REM is the key in sleep. there are 5 stages (according to my a-level learning, which is at risk of being over-simplified) of which the other key one is Slow-Wave Sleep. The others all play their own roles in releases of hormones and what-not, but generally they're phases that the brain goes through in working up-to and down-from. I guess this drug would kick the brain into REM sleep bypassing the other phases, which in general would seem ok (you'd still get your dreams so it's cool!), but there will be side effects, and the possibility that teh brain itself becomes dependant on the drug.

.. but i think the main point is who on earth wants to sleep only 2 hours a night every night?!

Most people actually over sleep. Where the body has its wanted amount of sleep and has rested, but you dose on regardless, then when you wake up you feel grocky/more tired than when you slept. >< - I hate that.

I took sleeping pills for over two years, and had a very strange and horrible ordeal coming off them. I suffered from insomnia because of shit at home back when i was 15/16. Really affected me.

Ah well, I try and get about 5-7 hours now. Sometimes I need to take a pill to make me dosy and leak the needed stuff into my pineal gland (the sleep gland).

Why can't we just sleep the natural way? And if people use these sleeping drugs that means more hours at school/work will happen. :shock:

Why can't we just sleep the natural way? And if people use these sleeping drugs that means more hours at school/work will happen. :shock:

Maybe not.....Leisure time!?!?....Everyone knows the West doesn't get enough.

Sign in to follow this