NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan

Total smoking ban in pubs and clubs.

Yes, shame they've got as much chance of enforcing it as they do on buses, trains and cinemas, all of which I have smoked freely in/on.

Freeom of choice (aka Doing what the feck you want)

Freeom of choice (aka Doing what the feck you want)

Exactly, no smoking laws do fuck all, all they do is make smokers a little more careful, doesn't actually stop them, and it never will.

Brilliant, brilliant news. Your personal freedoms become irrelevant when they infringe mine.

I would say the owner of the pub should decide on wether he allows smoking at all, bans it or try it with a limited area. Furthermore I am pretty sure that nearly every pub, club owner would allow it (assuming no food is served) because there are a lot more smokers + non-smokers (who don't care about the fume) than other customers. In public places like a restaurant, shops, government office, ... I fully support a ban on smoking.

I do smoke and I do support the health system with horrible taxes on cigarettes. I don't want to stop because I can't. I know it is bad and I know I can die but I still won't stop.

I do smoke and I do support the health system with horrible taxes on cigarettes. I don't want to stop because I can't. I know it is bad and I know I can die but I still won't stop.

This is why smoking should be banned altogether really. It's a terrible addiction and even when you feel yourself getting sicker and sicker you wont stop until you die.

pubs could just open up a smoking floor, charge people who choose to go in there the amount they'd get fined if/when they get caught. bonus being, if they don't get caught it would be a nice earner.

basically, it would be come like a private club.

and I think I read they were going to put up the maximum fine to the establishment from £20 to £200.

and to those who ask why not have freedom of choice, the thing is really in my town the only places to go out with friends are smoking establishments.

so the choice is stay at home on my own, or inhale smoke.

this way, smokers have the choice of stay at home with a fag, or to go out and not smoke inside.

and tbh, smokers say are they expected to go outside to have a smoke, well, yes.

if I wanted fresh air I had to walk out into the cold to get fresh air, so if you want polluted air go ahead, see how you like it.

final point.

smoking

stinks

reduces the ability to taste and enjoy flavours in food

discolours the body, clothing and decorations

fire risk

reduces aerobic fitness

reduces effectiveness of haemoglobin and myoglobin

affects nervous system.

costs loads.

to be totally honest, I am completly lost why anyone would enjoy smoking, no one I've ever spoken to has provided a convicing reason why its nice.

oh well.

Number 1 killer in Europe are heart diseases - so why not ban fat too? If there is no freedom of choice I demand that people with overweight (who are a risk group concerning heart diseases) have to eat diet meals, do sports every week.

Also alcohol kills a lot of people - and even more innocent people than smoke does. So away with booze too.

Cars are pretty dangerous too but nobody seems to care what fumes they put into hair. Ever heard of the gas in hairspray? Ozon layer doesn't like that one...

I know this won't happen but there are so many things that hurt the public health and nothing is done against it.

I think banning them is a good idea, i mean ok fredom to chose to smoke is one thing, but forcing others to breath it in as well is anouther.

Number 1 killer in Europe are heart diseases - so why not ban fat too? If there is no freedom of choice I demand that people with overweight (who are a risk group concerning heart diseases) have to eat diet meals, do sports every week.

Also alcohol kills a lot of people - and even more innocent people than smoke does. So away with booze too.

Cars are pretty dangerous too but nobody seems to care what fumes they put into hair. Ever heard of the gas in hairspray? Ozon layer doesn't like that one...

I know this won't happen but there are so many things that hurt the public health and nothing is done against it.

Overweight people are only hurting themselves with their poor diet and lack of exercise. Smokers however, hurt other people when they light up.

As regards to booze, every single person who smokes in a pub is hurting another human being. Every single person who drinks in a pub is not.

And I'm pretty - pretty - sure that people care about the environment. Just a hunch.

Do you know what it costs to support someone with a heart disease? No offense to anybody but it is hilarious expensive. Smokers pay more taxes because they belong to a risk group.

People in a heart disease risk group don't pay anything and don't have to fullfill certain conditions. I do!

Also drunken drivers affect others. I doubt that more people die because of passive smoking than accidents caused by drunken people! I also believe that the smog caused by cars is fare more dangerous than cigarettes.

That price is on the head of one person who has made the choice to live an unhealthy lifestyle. Smokers make that choice for other people. This really isn't about money, it's about the freedoms of non-smokers. Obesity may cost *you* money in the long run, but it doesn't cost you your life or your health.

It's a bit pathetic to say Well They Can Do This And That So Why Can't We It's More Dangerous Nah Nah Nah Nah. Drink driving is a problem that's being dealt with. It's a A LOT easier to ban smoking than it is to stop drink driving - because not all drinkers are drink drivers but everyone who smokes in a public place is affecting the health and freedoms of others.

Personally I love the new law, I hate smoke but I like going out so I no longer need to worry about the 2 getting in the way of each other.

It's a bit pathetic to say Well They Can Do This And That So Why Can't We It's More Dangerous Nah Nah Nah Nah. Drink driving is a problem that's being dealt with. It's a A LOT easier to ban smoking than it is to stop drink driving - because not all drinkers are drink drivers but everyone who smokes in a public place is affecting the health and freedoms of others.

Sure it is easier but for example here (Austria) I can still drink 0.5l beer and I am allowed to drivea car. Also if I cause an accident when I am drunken that is in court an advantage for me. I understand your point but where are the laws and the harder punishment for people who drink?

Moreover why not leave the decision with the owner of a pub. I would support a real seperation of smokers and non-smokers. Without being sarcastic I think the smoking area would be a lot more crowded. Of course I am talking of a real seperation not those imaginery signs because smoke doesn't care about those.

I just hate the point of such final decisions. NO SMOKING at all rather than - seperated areas or smoking bans in a few certain places.

Hehe a good question but why do you eat sweets, drink coffee? Smoking for me is the best way to relax in the few short breaks I have over the day. At university I have nearly no time to eat something and in those 5 minute breaks I smoke a cigarette and relax in the sun. Maybe that sounds strange but that is how I feel about it.

PS: 20 cigarettes cost here from 2.80 - 3.60€

Hehe a good question but why do you eat sweets, drink coffee? Smoking for me is the best way to relax in the few short breaks I have over the day. At university I have nearly no time to eat something and in those 5 minute breaks I smoke a cigarette and relax in the sun. Maybe that sounds strange but that is how I feel about it.

PS: 20 cigarettes cost here from 2.80 - 3.60€

I don't eat sweets or drink coffee usually.

personally smoking would stress me out rather than relax, Although I guess perhaps its similar to sucking a thumb, or using a dummy as a child, so perhaps it creates some level of comfort in that way?

though if that was the case then sucking a thumb would be cheaper and healthier..... so probably not.

Yes, shame they've got as much chance of enforcing it as they do on buses, trains and cinemas, all of which I have smoked freely in/on.

Well thats just fucking self centered. If someone did that in a cinema/bus that I was in I'd gladly "tell on them" because they're being a prick. I like you Rokhed, but thats just terrible.

this should have happened ages ago. people dont want to suffer death just so someone else can have a bit of pleasure from a fag

good news. people have a right not to die

Well the non smoking ban has been here for ages now, and its great. At first everyone was bitchin about it like you are all now, but i think it really became integrated. Its just normal to go outside the front door now, and most nightclubs have an area in the nightclub you can smoke, say with an open roof.

Its also great to meet new people when your out smokin by yourself, the amount of people you talk to is unreal. I dont smoke though.

Recently, i went to belfast clubbing. I nearly fuckin died from the smoke. My lungs were FUCKED. I have never been exposed to that much smoke in ages, and boy did it punch me in the face. Next day, clothes smelt of smoke and my lungs were all weird. It was fucking disgusting. I'm glad that smoking ban is coming in in northern ireland, so when i go clubbing there again, i wont be nearly dying.

To add to that, last time i went to Manchester Apollo to see Kaiser Cheifs, by the end of the ngiht i was finding it slightly hard to breathe, though this will have had something to do with the amount of people in the same room, a lot at the back were smoking and i could definitely taste it in the air.

True, alcohol related incidents cost the NHS much more a year than smoking. I understand that it can affect a wider range of people in the immediate area. But the repucussions of alcohol abuse can be far more disturbing, and what has the government done about that? 24 hour licensing. The problem is that they are both socially accepted that can be taxed. If cannabis could be controlled, legislation might be different.

Waaaaaaaayy im glad this is coming in. Those pricks that light up infront of you and expect you to be fine with it while they casually blow shitty smoke in your face. Its coming in next summer right? Thats long enough for most smokers to give up/cut down.(feel free to moan at me)

All I can say is.

YES.

BAN SMOKING. it fecking kills people and makes all my clothes utterly stink. As well as that a friend of mine developed lung cancer from 2nd hand smoke playing the tuba in a jazz bar in London.

Sign in to follow this