NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan

Total smoking ban in pubs and clubs.

MPs have voted by huge margins to ban smoking from all pubs and private members' clubs in England.

Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the change, expected to take effect in summer 2007, would "save thousands of people's lives".

Ministers gave a free vote amid fears Labour MPs could rebel against plans to exempt clubs and pubs not serving food.

The Commons decided by a margin of 328 to ban smoking from all pubs. It then voted by 200 to extend this to clubs.

The Cabinet had been split on how far restrictions - set out in the Health Bill - should go, with Conservatives calling government policy a "shambles".

(more in article link below)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4709258.stm

Thoughts? If anything i can't see how this has a downside. I'm sick of going to pubs where i'm breathing in other peoples smoke. How this will effect businesses however, is another matter.

I think no smoking in pubs is wrong...though clubs are quite different really.

And I don't smoke by the way.

This is great news. Also, iirc, smoking will be banned anywhere that sells food sometime this year.

This is great news. Also, iirc, smoking will be banned anywhere that sells food sometime this year.

That should have been the 1st thing to have been banned anyway...This gov.t is so crap!!

That should have been the 1st thing to have been banned anyway...This gov.t is so crap!!

That's what I'm saying- this year, so its effectively already been banned.

Mind you, this Government is pretty crap... Conservatives ftw!

Thank god. I bloody hate pubs (though at 14 i guess iom not supposed to enjoy them) but if i have to sit in one they're always hot, smell and somky. Most of all this caused by smoke.

I echo most of your thoughts that this is a good thing and cannot wait for it to talk effect, especially where I work! Cannot wait for the day that I don't come home from the pub stinking of smoke!

extra initiative for people to give up too, time will tell tho. the british public have a knack of hating change, this new legislations in a for a bumpy ride

Why is it apparently going to take a year? Surely they could do this by this summer. Or even Christmas. The campaign could be "a smokefree christmas" or something.

Anywho I was in a local Weatherspoons and was downstairs. Heard some old guy moan that smokers have to sit upstairs now and how non smokers should. Felt like telling him "Well if you smoke downstairs its gonna rise up to the non smokers you daft old sod" (the upstairs is a balcony rather than a seperate floor).

And I look forward to when it happens very much. Only a few of my friends smoke but I think its dirty and filthy. My friend asked me to buy him some fags yesterday from a shop because he was smoking one and I said no because I don't condone it in any way. It sucks and is so fucking stupid.

I can understand the ban in restaurants and clubs, but I always thought that pubs were designed to fit smokers, even if they do serve food. Whats wrong with the old smoking and non-smoking sections.

restaurants and pubs i can understand. But clubs? not a chance. try telling a bunch of mashed clubbers they cant smoke and there'll be a riot

Its good news for non smokers, but its bad news for the pub owners who will lose custom because clients wont go there for a drink and a smoke.

I'm happy with this because I am a none smoker. But I do understand how this could annoy lots of people who smoke...

I can understand the ban in restaurants and clubs, but I always thought that pubs were designed to fit smokers, even if they do serve food. Whats wrong with the old smoking and non-smoking sections.

Because, as is the case with my work, unless these areas are actually seperate rooms (and I haven't EVER seen a pub where this is the case), the smoke still wofts over to the non-smoking area, more or less making the fact that it is 'non-smoking' obsolete!

Propaly something about that these are just designated zones nothing that really stops the smell.

Smoking should still be allowed in pubs, as pubs go with the image for smoking and relaxing..

So we should encourage people to relax by smoking?

Im not too fussed either way, however i do hate coming out of a pub or club and stinking of smoke even tho i dont smoke myself, tis rather annoying that.

If they wanna ban smoking in public places then stop selling cigarrettes...but no of course they wont, tax on fags brings in way too much money for the government.

Whats wrong with the old smoking and non-smoking sections.

the only place ive seen a good smoking and non smokin area is at an airport, where the smoking area was outside and there were two sets of soundproof doors to go between them

aaaaaaaa (and thats a girly hi pitched scream) i cant belive it, its just a bad dream, it will be gone when i wake up! :nono::nono::nono:

what the funk happend to choice?

im all for no smoking in food areas put is this a ban every were?(will check in a min)

cant it just be ........smoking pubs...........non smoking pubs? and have no part in smoking areas and non smoking areas in the same pub. :wtf:

:mad::weep:

Sign in to follow this