NEurope
Retro_Link

'ORB' (New game for Revolution!!)

Yeah perhaps we´ll never see that game running on a console.

And perhaps the game has not even been 10% ready, but...back in the days there were gamestudios you have said the same about, which are now some of the biggest.

Interview with Crossbeam Studios;

http://www.cubed3.com

Recently, we carried a news piece on Orb, a game devised by independent developer Crossbeam Studios with a release aimed towards Nintendo's Revolution. We got in touch with Greg Szemiot of Crossbeam to talk about Orb and their thoughts on Revolution...

Cubed³: Please introduce yourself, your company, and describe your role within the team.

Greg Szemiot: My name is Greg Szemiot, I am the Founder and one of three Lead Designers and Directors at Crossbeam Studios Entertainment.

C3: How many people form Crossbeam Studios? How is the workload, considering your state as an independent developer and the scope of the project?

GS: In total, considering all the teams, around 17 people. The Orb team accounts for 12 of those people. With a team so small you think we'd be trying to do some smaller games... I mean, teams like Retro Studios have 30 people, Silicon Knights has 75 I believe split between 2 teams, The Zelda team I'm told is 60 people. We're trying to create a game of the same quality as those teams with half the people, it's a lot of work, a lot of pressure, and we've all been under stress, one of our concept artists even developed hives at one point... We'd like to have more people to help ease the pressure, so anyone out there with some talent feel free to contact us.

C3: Orb is intended for Nintendo Revolution. What platform do you have in mind for your other titles, 'Darkness' and the as-yet unnamed title? Could you say a little bit about each of them?

GS: This is kind of an interesting question, because just after James Bond and I decided to move to Revolution, I told Greg Nichols, the lead designer on Darkness and he said he'd love for it to be on Revolution as well. However, Darkness is still in design, it's actually been in design longer than Orb (doesn't help that Greg Nichols is the weapons system designer on Orb). As for the unannounced title...it's a FPA (First Person Adventure, á la Metroid Prime) that would fit right onto Revolution.

C3: Orb is described as 'action/adventure with RPG elements', which sounds like a very interesting mixture indeed. Just how far down the RPG route is it likely to go, and do you think this could alienate sectors of the gaming community?

GS: Well...RPG in this case mainly talks about the leveling up aspects of the weapons systems and magic systems. It's not going to be things like experience points and stat screens. That's why we say RPG elements. I am not really scared of alienating gamers. I think people who love a good story and solid gameplay will enjoy Orb immensely. I feel fans of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Myst, Skies of Arcadia, and many other top games could find something to love in Orb, and of course for each gamer it could be something different.

C3: The overall reaction to Orb at university was hugely positive. Which comments, if any, made you particularly proud and determined to go ahead with development of the game?

GS: Well, to be honest, the first in depth story I wrote was Orb 2, so some of the responses about it were from that story, while others were about Orb 1's storyline. I've heard many people say I was overly descriptive, that my stories dragged on and on. But aside from the overly descriptive nature, people liked my dialogue, how the characters had depth and actual emotion, and how I had fleshed out a whole universe. I did other versions where I toned down the descriptive detail and that version people said felt like a great movie or game because the pacing was right. In fact, when we started work on the game, someone said "Why are you ruining this story by making a game from it? A movie would be so much better." If we get the support from gamers, we even had plans for a movie, but that's a big if.

C3: Are there any particular inspirations and influences for Orb, from other games, media or life in general, throughout the team?

GS: Well, the obvious game is Zelda. But Skies of Arcadia, Eternal Darkness, Final Fantasy, and others did lend some inspiration to the gameplay and some of the world dynamics. But really, a lot of ideas and info just came from real life. I mean, I took an anthropology course when working on Delphire's culture, a bio course working on the creatures, and other courses covering various aspects. We do a lot of brainstorming, I can't tell you how many things in Orb started as some simple idea that ended becoming very complex in a couple hours of talking and throwing ideas around. It usually started with something like "you know, we have this fountain in the middle of the town...how can we mess with this and make it cool and not like every other fountain we've seen?"

C3: How did you originally come up with the storyline? How did it begin and how did it/what caused it to evolve into the form it's in now?

GS: The original draft of the storyline was I think 5 pages. It was just the draft for Orb 1, and the idea actually came from a series of dreams I'd been having at the time. When I couldn't figure out where Orb 1 was going... I wrote Orb 2 and just made the ends meet. The game originally had anthropomorphic animals a la Starfox, and used elemental themed magic and dungeons. We dropped the elemental stuff about a year and a half ago (which required a re-write of most of the game), and then we dropped the anthropomorphic characters about a year ago, requiring a rewrite as well. The current form of the storyline is the end result of a lot of people. I used to just work by myself, but the team has come up with some great ideas and characters that really made the storyline that much better. In the concept art we've released is a character with wings coming from her back...That whole character is based off of one simple idea our former lead concept artist had, we took the idea, ran with it, and now she's a major character in the whole series.

C3: What has been the reaction to Orb from publishers that you've shown it to thus far (if any)? Have any other developers commented upon it or shown interest?

Well, publishers we've not talked to yet, at least not seriously. It's a bit of a catch 22 that many publishers won't talk to you unless you have a game published already. This industry has not been very indie friendly for years... hopefully that will change. But in terms of other developers, the storyline has gotten great responses from other developers. One of CSE's old friends would actually beg us for more storyline info so he could read it to his kids at night, and they loved it. The surprising thing is he would read it again before going to bed while smoking a nice cigar just so he could enjoy it himself. It was great to hear it does work on different levels. Other developers have commented on how deep the storyline is, asking how do we plan to fit all this into one game and still have enough for a whole series. Yet others have commented on our tests and early screens from other engines and such saying we really pushed the atmosphere far and matched the storyline perfectly.

C3: Could you give us any hints about Orb's planned uses of the Revolution controller, or any of Revolution's other features?

GS: Well, aside from the basics (using the pointer for aiming, attacking, and magic) we could use it for many other things that are story based. Unfortunately I'm not able to talk about those just yet. We're trying to keep as much of the story under wraps as possible because there's plenty of twists and turns and with a story so deep, there's so much to be discovered that the less you know when you begin playing, the better.

C3: If the chance arises, what are your thoughts of incorporating Wi-Fi Internet technology into Orb?

GS: Well, not in Orb , the game is designed for single player only...However, we've been tossing some ideas around like new chapters to add on between the time Orb 1 and Orb 2 release.

C3: In an ideal world, who would you like to publish Orb and why?

GS: Nintendo, because we feel the game first off, will work best on Revolution, fits in with Nintendo's library of franchises, and Nintendo is also more likely to try things that are new and different. The only thing that worries me is Nintendo has thrown out far too many game ideas because they think it won't fly, when in fact they are great ideas. They are too scared of not making it.

C3: Is there any particular reason for having the Revolution as system of choice? Have you and the team been regular Nintendo supporters or is it more to do with the new direction the company is offering?

GS: Well, I know almost everyone on CSE has a lean towards Nintendo in console preference, and that is not surprising given Nintendo's history. I'll say the new energy and direction Nintendo is going is very exciting, and as developers we definitely like the challenge of trying to push our game to new heights.

C3: What would your dream project be if Nintendo chose to let you use some of its IP?

GS: Well, for me, I'd say Eternal Darkness or Starfox. One of my co-workers here said he'd do Zelda, but is far too humble to take that project, so he'd do Eternal Darkness as well. So I'd say all around, if we we're asked to do the sequel to Eternal Darkness, we'd jump at it.

C3: Greg, thank you for your time. Are there any final words you would like to say to conclude?

GS: Nothing at this point except keep a lookout for some new info from us soon. I'll make sure to keep you guys informed on any further updates, in the mean time, we'll have the new site up soon and hope you guys will enjoy it.

Sounds as though they are real supporters of Nintendo!

That's 3 possible Revolution games from this developer!

They are developing 3 games at once no wonder why nothing is finished except design cases, artwork or story. This interview reassures my suspicion even more.

Apparently some of you are not familiar with the idea of indie developers. So anyone who is not a multi-million dollar studio can't make games according to some people.

Well, CSE actually has an engine liscensed, we are working on a demo for E3 (to shop around to publishers and we'll be giving certain media outlets access to it as well) and contrary to Cubed3's report, that is not an ingame shot but just a quick model test (they have since corrected their article).

We have one main project, Orb, the other two are just ideas on the drawing board, not in development yet.

As for this other things, concept art is just that, concepts. No need to rip a game apart based on it, or the extremely small sliver of a storyline we've given out so far. We want to give away as little as possible, but that basically means we have to cut down on what makes the story unique.

I was hoping more of the gaming community would be open minded when we announced our intentions, especially Nintendo fans, and we've had many people on boards like Revolution Report showing alot of support and asking questions... and I am happy to answer them all as best I can.

I just ask, keep an open mind and don't judge a game so very early on in development.

~Greg Szemiot

No offense but 5 years != early development.

There are many great "garage" games out there but something about "ORB" doesn't feel right at the moment. But as usual I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.

It hasn't been in development for 5 years, it's been in design... and has actually had to go through 2 complete rewrites when we changed stuff such as character races and elemental themes. Development has actually only been going on for a few months.

Well, CSE actually has an engine liscensed

Why do you assume that that's a big thing? There's a few commercial game engines out there that are available for a low price. I'm guessing you're using either Torque or Qube?

I just ask, keep an open mind and don't judge a game so very early on in development.

I really want to keep an open mind, but I have doubts aswell. Keep working at it though, and I really hope you get somewhere with shopping it around at E3 this year.

Well, that's what you get by releasing info too early. It might turn out good anyhow, but releasing this info with a bad screenshot (or model test that was released as a screen) and a plain average story you can't impress the audience, and they judge on first sight. You could've waited until E3.

The problem is that I saw more than enough talented people struggle with game development. Artists, sound technicians, story writers are usually easy to come by but a good coder is not that easy to get.

A mate of mine tried and terribly failed. It started as a very promising project with 6 people (1 coder, rest art guys). The main story was around pirates - combined RPG + RTS elements, superb graphics and after 1 year there was nothing except drawings and a few sound samples. So they changed some stuff bought an gfx engine instead of coding it. Stocked up the team (still one coder but 3 more artists) and again a year later the engine they bought was outdated and the had to buy something new. Many people joined to the team many left and in the end they had a debt of about 120.000€.

So I just want to advise people to be carefull. Look there are so many mods for popular games in "development" but maybe 5% actually make it even though you already have a nice editor and the basic models.

You better improve your English because as far as I know not every forum members works for Revolution Europe. I guess fair criticism is not something you can cope with Scrapanatchi!

ironic to say the least, and if we saw a zelda screen that looked the same everyone would be juzzing over it

ironic to say the least, and if we saw a zelda screen that looked the same everyone would be juzzing over it

If Nintendo released a Zelda screen looking like that, I would think "WTF?!", but I would still be fairly confident that the end product would be great.

When a unkown developer releases a screen looking like that, I just think "Looks (mainly) like shit", and interest in that game would drop.

Nintendo has a track record of making great games, that's why.

And please system_error, do remove that picture, it doesn't do you any good IMO.

EDIT: This post doesn't reflect how I feel about ORB etc, except for that picture. It was mainly a reply to dabookerman.

Agree. That screen looks terrible and it shouldn't have been released.

You can't stop people from making a judgment on first sight. The screen makes it look bad and therefore the game looks bad. Don't release stuff when you haven't got anything to present.

And please system_error, do remove that picture, it doesn't do you any good IMO.

Which picture?!?

@Scrapanatchi: Look I do NOT enjoy "bashing" people I am just very sceptic about games which seem to generate much hype especially if they ride on the Revolution "wave". I really would like that you finish your game and have great success. I am sorry if I sounded rude but it is very dangerous as a small developer to create too much hype. I surfed through your forums and found many interesting things and the artworks and the story you made so far are really good in my eyes but my question is what will follow now. The sad thing about independent game development is that less than 5% will have commercial success if they have a release version at all. I hope this is not the case for ORB or any of the other projects you are currently working on. I just had the feeling (and it is not more than a feeling) that you are currently in a very hard phase with ORB - much was done, some things changed, the decision to support the Revolution and without a good plan AND team it will be very hard to finish your project.

I am really sorry I am just not a person who can put much faith into something at this early stage. I was disappointed too many times and lost friends and money through that.

ppl, check out their site, it launched

-> http://www.crossbeamstudios.com/ - mainpage -

Games:

-> http://www.crossbeamstudios.com/orb.shtml - Orb Information -

Story:

In ages past, the great army of the Kulon raged a terrible war with the people of this great land of Delphire. They came from shadow, and destroyed everything in their path. Men, women, children, all dead in their wake. That was all long ago... however, the ancient army of the Kulon have risen again from the mists of time, and one of their fiercest warriors has just crowned himself ruler and has started a battle for all out control over the people of this ravaged land.

His evil plot calls for the abduction of one of the world's Imanti, the so called 'guardians of the faith' to the people of Delphire. However, the guardian they abduct on one night has three students, and they will not let him go so easily.

So begins a quest through the land of Delphire, through ancient ruins and thriving towns, through the frozen wastes and the tropical beaches, even through time itself. As you quest, you'll find out that your teacher is just the beginning, that much more hangs in the balance than anyone suspects. Things are happening here that nobody understands, and the greatest discovery of this land, has yet to be made.

Planned Features:

- A vast world to explore, make discoveries, form alliances, uncover the secrets hidden deep in the past.

- A storyline featuring over a dozen main characters with over a hundred supporting roles.

- Innovative 'non-elemental' magic system incorporated into the very fabric of the game world.

- Customizeable weapon system with hundreds of possible combinations.

-> http://www.crossbeamstudios.com/thorn.shtml - Thorn Game Information -

Story:

Explore the dark underworld of a planet on the fringes of human colonization. After retiring from the Earth Defense Forces three years ago you have received a strange message from your former squad mate. They seem to be on their death bed on a planet lost to the depths of the bureaucracy. You arrive after many days travel to find his body missing, yourself a fugitive, and the situation falling apart very quickly around you.

Planned Features:

- A futuristic world steeped in paranoia and the occult.

- A storyline exploring the occult underworld

- Innovative controls designed from the ground up for the Revolution FHC.

yes... both those games seem to be headed, if everything goes well... for revolution And they seem to have potential, now we just have to wait and see

both pages have new artwork for the games in question and in my opinion... it looks awesome, these guys seem to have some good taste, although the characters in Orb may seem a little "stange" they are well made nonetheless and I love the artwork for it.

Scrapanatchi if you think ppl like bashing each other here, you clearly don't know many forums. It's true that everyone is being overcrtitical with this game. I mean there's a few art pieces a screenshot and it's a game that's being developed by an indie dev. The important thing now isn't the quality of the game, but the support companies are giving Revolution.

Scrapanatchi if you think ppl like bashing each other here, you clearly don't know many forums. It's true that everyone is being overcrtitical with this game. I mean there's a few art pieces a screenshot and it's a game that's being developed by an indie dev. The important thing now isn't the quality of the game, but the support companies are giving Revolution.

I disagree. It's not our fault that we're overcritical, it's the developer's mistake of releasing info when it isn't ready. Also, I prefer quality over quantity, and I feel like the support will be good enough.

This piece of artwork is fantastic; there are so many great themes/ideas that it suggests!

Suggests we could be in for a very dark, action packed, futuristic, intense game!!

infaltration.jpg

http://www.cubed3.com

'Thorn' is an action/adventure game that is being poised to use unique and innovative controls designed from the ground up for the Revolution's freehand controller. The game is set in the future in a world drenched with paranoia and occult happenings.

In 'Thorn', your character was previously a member of the Earth Defense Forces. Having retired three years previously, you receive a mysterious message from one of your ex-squad members, which tells you that he is in extreme, near-death danger on a planet out of the reach of bereaucracy. Being concerned, you head off only to find your friend has disappeared, you have become a fugitive, and things just keep going wrong. Alone, you are left to explore the dark underworld of a planet that is only balancing on the edge of human colonization.

The character artwork for ORB is also looking MUCH better!!

Maron_sword.jpg

mahtenbg.jpg

This piece of artwork is fantastic; there are so many great themes/ideas that it suggests!

Suggests we could be in for a very dark, action packed, futuristic, intense game!!(...)

Finally someone who agrees with me, they might lack a curriculum with published games, but they are aiming for quality and seem to be quite ambitious... that's something a lot of established studios lack, and should be praised, of course if they can pull it off or not is a big question, but it doesn't hurt to support them and give them our support, because if I was a developer I would apreciate it, a lot. I mean... they aren't making (or attemping to) make the game, for themselves, and for what i've seen in artwork it's a few notches up from the regular standard, like it or not... it's a matter of taste.

And I totally agree with you, the best part seems to be the scenario, theme and mood they are going for, if they can pull it off... I'm interested.

New Artwork for Thorn!

RevThornArtwork3.jpg

This game is looking like it could have great potential IMO; the artwork so far is really impressive in terms of atmosphere and location!

I think you need to look past the early stuff and think of the potential. Crossbeam studios sound like they are pure gamers and are hungry for quality. I like the sound of them because they are not monkeys like developers under EA's wing who are told what to create, they create what they want and no one can tell them different as they are an indie developer. I'm excited about there projects.

As for a publisher Nintendo will be ideal and yes in the past they have een afraid of very new things but I think they have changed they have made some very new things on DS and are publishing Trauma Center in europe which is very new. Perhaps once your build is to a good level where most of the elements of the game are shown get in contact with nintendo, all you can do is try.

A question- Is Crossbeam a UK company?

I personally think the story looks great and the gameplay sounds good, I'm hoping I'll be able to get into it. Alot of action adventure games don't really quite fit with me (Dark Cloud, FF:CC etc) but Zelda and SFA seem to just click for me.

Can't wait to see some more stuff at e3.

This is another thing thats making me really look forward to Revolution, the amount of small ambitious developers making games for it, there are bound to be some flops but some could be huge successes and amidst all the crap ports and yearly sequels its a refreshing change to see so many small developers working on ambitious projects.

Click Skippy for a preview of 'Orb' with more concept art and discussion from the creators.

CoolRoo.jpg

To be honest me and skip aren't majorly impressed by this title yet.. the concept art isn't even beginning to touch on the stuff you see for movies like Spirited Away by Studio Ghibli or anything you'd expect to see on the walls as you walk into the reception of Pixar studios.

This is concept art for the game Myst V, Orb's work just doesn't begin to compare and I think they have a long way to go still.

frontpage.jpg

I will watch the title.. this is what Nintendo wants, they're getting the fresh meat.. they've got a lot of ideas and with a bit of guidance and money they could probably create an average quality title for their first game.