NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Anakenobi

* Should Revolution feature more weird "japanese" games? *

And by that I meant those weird japanese games that seem to be sold only in Japan but as of late have made it to the Nintendo DS in America and Europe (Nintendogs is one of them).

Would you like games like Dating simulators (I think they're called bishoujo) and Majong games and more fishing simulators and whanot.

Maybe we be surprised like when Animal Crossing made it over here in the West! Who knows!

Would you be game for games like that?

:grin:

Friggin Yeah! Games like this are really catching on and growing. there is a market out there and if Revolution can bring these games to Europe and the Americas, then by all means, bring it. :grin:

I'd love to see new genres come over here. I'd buy dating games. I'm not a fan of Western tastes, I can't stand the FPS genre. I want Bistro Cupid!

Didn't like Animal Crossing though. No game ever felt more pointless.

Keep up the wiered Japanese games. Sometime they turn out to be absolutly amazing. But not too many. We don't want the Revolution to be labelled as the console for just those kind of games.

Well, taking the DS as an example, we've seen a lot of educational games and "utilities" released for it in Japan, while the US and Europe seem hesitant to release anything like that for it. I would probably buy them, because I find myself buying anything Nintendo puts on the market these days, but I don't see many other people following suit.

But then Nintendogs is a virtual pet, which has already proven to be a genre popular worldwide, while Otona DS Training is educational software, and has a very scuppered career in the west.

The Revolution may be able to help the DS and itself. We found out that it will be able to download and beam DS demos to your DS, so if they're not sure if something will sell, they can demo it and find out how popular it is. If they find some way of doing this with slightly off-the-wall Revolution games as well then we may be in for a treat.

But we really don't know what kind of gaming Nintendo has up its sleevies for the Revolution yet.

Yeah, more weird japanese games = good :)

But more in the likes of Doshin, Katamari etc then fishing games.

Thing is, having quirky Japanese games would lead to a lack of Western developed games, and therefore less sales.

*Those* sort of games are seen as weird, kiddy or stupid by the mass-market. If the public perception is that those are the only type of games the Revolution supports, and coupled with Nintendo's kiddy image, it would lead to dwindling uptake out here.

If the uptake isn't strong, developers will then forgo their "innovative" games in favour of the technically more powerful platforms. Then, the effort involved in putting a game on a less powerful platform will mean that many developers will not bother. Especially with rising development costs.

The lack of support for the platform will mean there will be comparitively less games for the Revolution. And consumers will buy the other consoles for the same reasons they bought the XBOX and PS2 over the GCN. ie. No games means that consumers see it as a lesser platform.

And thus the world will explode into ash...

Those of you who read all that, well done. I hope you can appreciate the vicious cycle the above entails, especially since if the initial uptake is poor, since Nintendo will be forced to bring out those crazy Jap games in order to provide more games for this market leading to yadda yadda yadda.

I would love to have more original japanese games. Killer7, Tales of Symphonia, Animal Crossing and many more are great games. Of course western developers have great games aswell but they feature different settings which I am not that interested in.

I personally prefer japanese RPGs over games like Fable or KOTOR - not because they are bad but they don't have the RPG elements I want. So I definitly want more (weird) japanese games !!

I say yes too! Cause when I look around stores now, all I see in the Cube shelves are just...crappy games that no one even heard of all so cheap too.

Yet upon checking Japanese release lists, I notice theres really allllllot more games available. T_T we just never see em here.

So yes, I'd love to see the ("weird") Japanese games come out on Rev (fullytranslated of course n_n)

There is a reason the west don't get thoses games the majority don't like them at all and they would sell horribly. Myself i like the games and i know many others do aswell but there just not enough of us for it to be a option.

Not strictly a Japanese title but only releasing Winning Eleven in Japan was a crime against Europe the home of Football not just GC owners.

Yet it comes to DS!

Good move Konami.

Let's hope they don't repeat this fiasco.

Thing is, having quirky Japanese games would lead to a lack of Western developed games, and therefore less sales.

I'm afraid that assumption makes the rest of your post moot, in my opinion.

More 'quirky' games do not equate to fewer conventional games. I don't think anyone is suggesting that traditional Western games should be dropped entirely in favour of titles like Electroplankton and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, merely that more such games should see the light of day outside of Japan.

Although foreign genres don't tend to do that well in the West, perhaps people will be more willing to try new things when they've already accepted controlling games with a TV remote.

Sign in to follow this