NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Sonic Superstars

Brand new 2D sidescrolling Sonic game with 3D graphics.  4 player Co-op.

You’re welcome @Cube

tumblr_omp36dLrWU1us4qppo1_500.gif

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

Almost expected it to be called New Sonic the Hedgehog when they revealed it.

Looks good, though. I like the new style and it seems to add some new gameplay. Co-op could be fun as well.

Looks interesting, hopefully coop doesn't make the levels too empty when playing alone.

It's a bit random how a new Sonic and Star Trek gane were both announced on the same day.

• Haha 4

It's a promising reveal, here's hoping they get the physics right. If the co-op is online, I'd be up for playing through it with others.

sonicsuperstarsbanner.620x0.webp

Sonic Superstars announced for Switch

Now up on the main page.

Overview and trailer.

- - - -

This looks fantastic, classic Sonic, with the generations aesthetic, plus the 'Mania' and 'Origins' feel to it with the multiple playable characters.

The drop-in, drop-out co-op is really what sets this apart though, as this could work very well indeed.

New emerald powers were touted as one of the features, which could prove to be either interesting, or more throwaway...

Those wisp-type transformations look fun, for instance, though the 'Sonic summon' at the boss might be a bit overpowered, though we'll see how it plays out.

Sonic has definitely needed something new in the 2D games, with Sonic Frontiers providing that for 3D Sonic, Sonic Superstars looks like it'll do the same, in its own way.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Glen-i said:

It's a promising reveal, here's hoping they get the physics right. If the co-op is online, I'd be up for playing through it with others.

Welp, so much for that dream. Co-op is local multiplayer only.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Welp, so much for that dream. Co-op is local multiplayer only.

Remember that time when I naturally assumed that Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe would have online multiplayer?

Yeah... exactly the same thing here, I naturally thought that this would have online multiplayer by default.

Then again... if it's too challenging for the developers to get it working well for a platformer, online, then it's probably best not to include it.

But still... drop-in, drop-out co-op... I thought online was almost certain for Sonic Superstars as it seemed like a natural fit, oh well.

Edit... it's even in the press release, in the article, which I posted...

More Friends, More Fun – For the first time ever in a Sonic game, play through the entire campaign with up to 3 other players with drop-in and drop-out four-player local cooperative play.

I must have just read the word 'local' as 'online' and not even registered that it wouldn't have online play... it was early when I posted it. ::shrug:

Edited by S.C.G

The game is being co-developed by Arzest (Naoto Oshima is apparently designing an all new character for this game).

• Thanks 1

The multiplayer doesn't excite me much, but the release of a brand-new 2D Sonic with proper physics does! :bouncy: I don't expect it to be as good as Mania, I just want it to be decent, and sell well.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Why? 

It's now coming out around the same time as Super Mario Bros Wonder...

Poor Sonic just can't catch a break.

Edited by Dcubed

Ah, yes. But they could be aiming for a September release. That still autumn at least. 

sonicsuperstarsbanner.620x0.webp

Sonic Superstars all Emerald Powers revealed

Now up on the main page.

Links back to the original Game Informer exclusive article and Nintendo Everything for the information.

- - - - -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Out on October 17th. Just days before Super Mario Bros. Wonder. That's just bad timing... 

• Thanks 1

sonicsuperstarsmultiplayertrailerreleasedatebanner.620x0.webp

Sonic Superstars multiplayer trailer and release date

Now up on the main page.

Overview and multiplayer / release date trailer.

- - - - -

This is actually great timing, it'll mean that Sonic Superstars can be blasted through, mere days before playing Super Mario Bros. Wonder, which is surely a good thing.

A new Sonic title and a new Mario game within the same week? This is a great time for game releases.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Out on October 17th. Just days before Super Mario Bros. Wonder. That's just bad timing... 

...and Spider-Man 2, which is also releasing the same day as Wonder. I totally agree. Going up against the sequel to PlayStation's bestselling game on PS4 and, well, the behemoth that is a Mario game? Well, that's just...

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

VORXMaW.jpeg

Utter bloody suicide

Yeah, I don't think Dcubed is wrong on this one. Though, I do think it sets itself up quite nicely as a little pick-up at a potentially solid discount going into the Black Friday/Christmas period! 

4 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

This is actually great timing, it'll mean that Sonic Superstars can be blasted through, mere days before playing Super Mario Bros. Wonder, which is surely a good thing.

A new Sonic title and a new Mario game within the same week? This is a great time for game releases.

Well at least someone else on here isn't all doom and gloom over it's release date! :D still looks super charming, though. Hopefully it delivers, it does look promising! 

Now I'm going to quickly see myself out before anyone here realises I've never completed a Sonic platformer before... :p

• Thanks 1

Seems to me that someone at Sega still thinks it's the 90's and Sonic can step up to a Mario game.

November 24th, the original Sonic Tuesday, is on a Friday this year. Missed opportunity. 

The RRP is £5 more for Sonic, so it's potentially more expensive than Mario so people may lean towards getting Mario if they are on a budget.

I like that the digital deluxe version has a skin based on Sonic's original design. I don't like that it's locked to the digital version(?).

Also semi relevant:

sonicsuperstarstriooftroubletrailerbanner.620x0.webp

Sonic Superstars Trio of Trouble prologue video

Now up on the main page.

- - - - -

It's a decent animated prologue, about 5 minutes long, has some fun call-backs, and a bit of game footage in the credits.

sonicsuperstarsbattlemodebanner-1.620x0.webp

Sonic Superstars shows off new multiplayer Battle Mode

Now up on the main page.

Overview and a selection of screenshots.

- - - - -

Well... at least Sonic Superstars has an online multiplayer mode now, not the main mode, but it looks to be a decent addition. :peace:

Did anyone buy this?

I did and i’ve just finished story mode. I played the Switch version and enjoyed it - classic 2D Sonic and they have really nailed the MegaDrive physics which is great to see.

I agree with the review scores - it is a 7/10 game at best:

- Graphics on Switch are pretty basic which is inexcusable when you have Mario Wonder showing beautifully.

- Music is hit and miss. Such a shame they did not use the Sonic 2 boss theme imo

- Camera is a little too close for my liking resulting in some cheap hits. 

- bonus stages are a little naff and uninspiring.

- i’ve been glitched a few times resulting in once having to reset

- unlockables are disappointing as they can only be used in the battle mode. 

I did enjoy it and it is very like the MegaDrive classics but it is not quite there. The bosses are great. Some of the levels do have a interesting twist too. 

After nearly 30 years since Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I think the 2D series should just be better than this game. I’d say this is the series Mario U moment - a little bland but standard 2d platforming. 

I enjoyed Mania more and wishes we had a Mania 2 instead. 

Discounting Mania, I think this is the best 2D Sonic game since the MegaDrive classics. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this