NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince (1st December 2023)

So, uh, yeah, I guess it's Dragon Quest Day, so for the 25th anniversary of the series this video was put out – ending with the reveal that a new entry in the series is in development for the Nintendo Switch! 

That music is charming as all heck, as is what I've seen and heard about the Monsters games. Definitely going to be keeping an ear to the ground on this one! :D

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, geez. Please come out in English! I would like nothing more!

I can’t imagine that it’ll actually launch on Switch at this point in its life, but either way I’d be very happy to see a new DQM game.

Let’s just hope that this time it gets an English release.

The trailer is in English (subs) so seems likely to get an English release.

I've only played Joker 1 & 2 but they're really good games.  I don't think anything took me longer to learn than the synthesis of the first one, but it's great when you get to grips with it,  Definitely interested in this one.

Wow, did not expect an update on this so quickly!

The Dark Prince arrives 1st December 2023:

DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS: The Dark Prince follows Psaro and his companion Rose as they travel through the demon realm of Nadiria. Explore and scout monsters onto your team, freely combine raised monsters to create more powerful allies, and take on enemies with your powerful team.

Friendship with Pokemon SV is over.

Now best friends with DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS: The Dark Prince.

This must have been in development longer than they let on then. They got Treasures and this out before the DQIII remake?! :cry:

Weird that they didn't/couldn't show this properly a couple of weeks ago. Due to a deal with Nintendo or something?

Phew! Glad it's getting localised. You can never tell with Dragon Quest spin-offs.

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

A demo is available now!

Well, that got buried!

That's my night sorted!

There was some footage in the Japanese Nintendo Direct where the demo was announced. Must have been too many RPGs in the other Directs and they missed it or something. ::shrug:

17 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Still Switch exclusive?
BOOOOHHHHHH!

Give it a year.

The demo didn't get my hopes up, mind. What with the frame rate being actually atrocious. Even for a Turn-based RPG.

Played the demo back in September and thought it showed good promise. Looking forward to release day, especially since finishing last year/starting this year with DQ Treasures was lovely.

18 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Give it a year.

The demo didn't get my hopes up, mind. What with the frame rate being actually atrocious. Even for a Turn-based RPG.

"Oh, geez. Please come out in English! I would like nothing more!" 

Best Funny Eye Roll Animated GIFs in 2023

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Well...hope it plays better than it looks.

I've been reading the impressions over and Era and those playing it seem to be really enjoying it. I suppose it's a bit like Dragon Quest Treasures that released this time last year. The game wasn't a looker by any means and the optimisation was pretty rough, but it was a really fun game to play.

My old, impatient self can't deal with the slow battle system.

Put it on a newer console, remove the load times before each battle, make battles faster, get the fps at least stable and then we can talk :p

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

My old, impatient self can't deal with the slow battle system.

Put it on a newer console, remove the load times before each battle, make battles faster, get the fps at least stable and then we can talk :p

Also, add trophies. :p 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Also, add trophies. :p 

I mean, that goes without saying :p

ps5-platinum-trophy.large.jpg

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you pick this up, @darksnowman? Noticed you were on it last night but wasnt sure if it was the demo or the full game.

Yep. Took two weeks but I got around to treating myself to it. You should try the demo if you're on the fence.

Demo progress doesn't carry over (though you get access to whatever you wrangled) so I've to redo the opening hours. The demo prevents you from taking on the cyclops in the first area so naturally I made a beeline for it last night then promptly fled after it OHKO'd one of my monsters. I will take great pleasure in beating and scouting it later on. There's a WiFi shop and online battling that wasn't in the demo. Couldn't afford anything in the shop and tried the battle mode that autobattles you through thirty encounters. My fledgling party won 1/30. I'll take it.

Looking forward to getting to some synthesis. I remember before I played DQM on DS, synthesis sounded daunting because I imagined it as splicing creatures together to produce monstrosities like those fossil Pokémon in Sword and Shield.

Actually glad to see there is some DLC as it's something I want(ed) for Treasures. Provided it's worthwhile, it's nice to know there could be something to eventually come back for.

Just wish DQ IV was a bit fresher in my mind. It's been many years so some of the finer details might be lost on me.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this