NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection (Vol. 1 - 24th October 2023)

Deserved a bit more attention than it got in the Showcase, but alas, another MGS Collection is on its way, starting with Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater as part of Volume 1, releasing in Autumn 2023. 

No word on Volume 2 or what will come with it, but it sounds like it's very much in the works to release during the series' 35th anniversary celebrations:

We will deliver the METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION series, the most complete compilation that celebrates the 35th anniversary of the series. The METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION allows fans to play the games as they were, as first released on the latest platforms.

Well, MGS lives and breathes, and OG Snake Eater isn't getting buried below the remake either. Wonder how Kojima is going to be treated in the credits for this collection? 

Switch video:

Edited by Julius

Why do I get the feeling that these versions will be based on the vanilla releases and not the upgraded Integral/Substance/Subsistence versions?

Really hoping I’m wrong here… These games really need a good re-release.

Edited by Dcubed

Hoping they've done something more than a simple re-release with graphics as are, but a framerate/HD boost.

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Why do I get the feeling that these versions will be based on the vanilla releases and not the upgraded Integral/Substance/Subsistence versions?

Really hoping I’m wrong here… These games really need a good re-release.

I mean, based on the wording on the official site, that's what I feel like they might be hinting at. Both MGS2 and MGS3 talk about Substance and Subsistence being later releases...

[MGS2 description]

This game depicts two different events: Solid Snake investigating a new kind of Metal Gear as part of the Tanker Incident, as well as FOXHOUND's newest member, Raiden, taking on a group of terrorists who have captured an off-shore facility in the Big Shell Incident. This game, released on the PlayStation 2, introduced players to the character of Raiden, who inherited many techniques and ideas from Solid Snake. In addition to a first-person aiming feature, players also had access to a variety of new actions, such as holding up enemies and also disposing of their bodies. It was labeled "the best gameplay system of the 21st century." An ultimate edition of the game called "Substance" was released later. This title was the fourth game released in the official history of the Metal Gear franchise.

[MGS3 description]

The story that tells the beginning of the epic saga. It covers the events of both Virtuous Mission and Operation Snake Eater, detailing how the man code-named Naked Snake earned the title of Big Boss. While previous games in the Metal Gear series took place in more urban settings and involved infiltrating buildings, this game is set in an unforgiving jungle. In addition to hiding in the shadows, players can use uniforms and face paint as camouflage to blend in with their surroundings. This gameplay system was expanded upon in Metal Gear Solid 4. An edition boasting the ultimate survival experience called "Subsistence" was released later. This title was the fifth game released in the official history of the Metal Gear franchise.

Weird way to phrase things on a page about a collection of remasters that show no gameplay screenshots, that's for sure. 

MGS makes no mention of Integral or Twin Snakes, though I guess that's not too surprising, seeing as this isn't a Twin Snakes remaster and Integral is the version of the game synonymous with the name over here in the west (and I had no idea it existed before now) where I feel the series had a wider reaching impact. 

There's no way they're stupid enough to have these be the original unaltered versions...right?

Then again, this is Konami...

2 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Hoping they've done something more than a simple re-release with graphics as are, but a framerate/HD boost.

Yeah, considering that Bluepoint's HD Collection originally released on PS3/Xbox 360 brought things up to 720p/60fps, I'm going to be shocked and very disappointed if these aren't 1080p/60fps versions of the games.

We definitely shouldn't be downgrading back to the original versions of the games over a decade from that collection's release, so there's no way they're stupid enough to have these be the original unaltered versions...right?

Then again, this is Konami...

Just had a thought.  They'll have to re-work the Psycho Mantis battle in MGS1 into something different.  Realistically, as it stands it would be difficult as controllers are now wireless and memory is built in.

1 hour ago, Jimbob said:

Just had a thought.  They'll have to re-work the Psycho Mantis battle in MGS1 into something different.  Realistically, as it stands it would be difficult as controllers are now wireless and memory is built in.

Well, plenty of games today recognise save data from other games, so that wouldn't be hard.

The second controller trick, though? Yeah, that won't work.

They already dealt with it in the PS3 release. Apparently you paused the game and pressed R3 to switch controller ports.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

They already dealt with it in the PS3 release. Apparently you paused the game and pressed R3 to switch controller ports.

Oh right, bit lame, but I guess it works, it'll be neat if they do it a different way for this collection.

25 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Played it a few years ago on my PS3 and I think it was pause the game, press the PS button to bring up the XMB, then switching to the second controller? Unless that would be a shortcut to do that? 

Not sure, and I do think it falls short of the desired effect, but then again, my first time going through some classics on the PS3, nothing was smooth sailing. Like having to create a virtual memory card :laughing: 

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Oh right, bit lame, but I guess it works, it'll be neat if they do it a different way for this collection.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if it was an in-game option through the pause menu seeing as, system-wide, I think getting a standalone Player 2 on modern consoles is a bit of a hassle (if you can do it at all, that is, because I have no idea when it comes to the PS5, and the idea in my head seems like it wouldn't work because of how other sign-in home menus work). 

I'm curious to see if they do have Mantis reading your "memory card" this time, too, considering that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and (hopefully) Suikoden will both be out on modern consoles by then, but given this is Konami, I could see them giving it a complete pass. I think I remember reading something about the PC version skipping that dialogue? ::shrug:

• Thanks 1

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on the Nintendo GameCube still has the best dialogue for the Psycho Mantis fight...

I doubt this will be topped, as it's an example of a remake made at the right time, likely never to be repeated.

For many, this was the first version of MGS that they would have played, and completed.

And while it's good to see the series getting remastered or re-released, I'm grateful for The Twin Snakes. :smile:

I'm guessing that because it's in two volumes, the first would be MGS, 2, & 3... while the second will likely be MGS 4, 5 and possibly the inbetween games/oddities or maybe not.

Definitely the fourth game though, as I don't seem to recall that ever getting re-released on anything other than the PS3.

This deal is getting better all the time! 

The game's page is now up on the PlayStation Store, and with it come some more details: including confirmation about the versions of the games included, as well as the news that Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake are also packed in! 

The origin of stealth action returns. METAL GEAR SOLID: MASTER COLLECTION Vol. unifies the beginning of the METAL GEAR gameplay experience in one single package. Infiltrate enemy fortresses all over the globe, complete your missions with stealth and experience the thrilling cinematic story of the METAL GEAR series.

Volume 1 line-up features the original titles and beginning of the METAL GEAR series:

Metal Gear

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Metal Gear Solid (Including VR Missions/Special Missions)

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (HD Collection version)

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (HD Collection version)

This collection includes the classic versions of the games, complete with minimal edits to copyrighted contents.

Regional versions of the titles are available as additional downloads.

An awesome update, and there we have it: the complete and definitive HD Collection versions of the games (so, Subsistence and Substance confirmed) :bouncy: I'm guessing since it's how it worked in MGS3 HD that Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 are going to be included from that menu and not separate installs? 

Think I'm going to need to get a shift on and play through Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes and V before this collection drops and then revisit it all from the beginning :D never did get around to Metal Gear or Metal Gear 2! 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Wow! Looks like Konami might actually have not screwed it up! Amazing!

Volume 1 is arriving October 24th, and will also be on Switch! 

@Ashley any chance of moving this thread over to Nintendo Gaming once you get the chance, if it's possible please?

Appreciate that most interested on here would likely be playing on Switch :peace:

EDIT: thanks @Ashley, appreciate it! :smile:

Edited by Julius

Sweet! Will be buying it in that case!

Nice that it includes other ancilliary stuff like the MGS Database and the Graphic Novel.  Gives me hope that MGS4 will be coming in Vol 2 alongside MG Acid 1 & 2 and Ghost Babel :)

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/06/metal-gear-solid-master-collection-vol-1-switch-physical-version-requires-downloads

According to Konami's official website, the hard copy version of the game on this particular system will require some additional downloads. This includes 24.1GB and + 30 GB for bonus videos, with just "2.4 GB front loaded" onto the game card. Here's the full breakdown of the required space and downloads you can expect:

- Physical Version : 24.1GB ( *Front loaded onto cartridge 2.4GB )
- Metal Gear Solid- Master Collection Version : 4.8GB
- excl. MG&MG2 : 3.4GB
- incl. MG&MG2 : 4.8GB ( Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake : 1.4GB )
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Master Collection Version : 8.0GB
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Master Collection Version : 12.2GB
- Bonus Content : 1.0GB + 30 GB for bonus videos

You might want to reconsider getting the physical version...

• Haha 2

Just realised that this was the first time we'd actually seen footage of gameplay for this Collection, which is kind of wild...

...and also really smart. I'd imagine the Switch version is going to be the "weakest" version in terms of technical performance (considering the age of these games I'm not saying it'll struggle, I'm just saying MGS3, even in the Bluepoint remasters, dropped some frames back on the PS3 with certain weapons), so this sets the bar as low as it reasonably can be for the performance of the game. 

Also, big get to have them save the date for the Direct too, even if it made its appearance at PlayStation last month seem pretty lacklustre. 

Heck, maybe that's why they did it? ::shrug:

Backdoor. Shady. Deals. 

Switch should be more than fine for these. The other consoles will just add a better 4K mode probably.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Previews are going out now...

https://www.nintendolife.com/features/hands-on-metal-gear-solid-master-collection-vol-1-could-be-so-much-more-but-isnt

720p 30FPS on all platforms (half the FPS of the original HD Collection).

#FucKonami.

Welp, guess I'll be waiting for a hardcore sale on these then, that's very disappointing.

Just to clarify, the article does state that on PS5 (and PS4? The phrasing isn't super clear) and Series X that while still 720p on those consoles, it will be aiming for the target HD Edition frame rate (which was 60 fps). 

We asked about performance on PS5, Xbox Series X, plus the newly announced PS4 release; Konami clarified that the games will be targeting the same resolution (720p) and frame rate of the initial HD releases. Given that Switch isn’t running them at 60fps, we suppose we’ll have to wait and see how things fare on the other platforms.

Something else interesting is that they mention the version they played games and spotted the copyrights are from the 2012 HD Editions:

Speaking of missed opportunities, we were also surprised to discover that Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater are based on the HD Collection editions that were released for PS3 and Xbox 360 back in 2012. We say ‘based on’, but in truth Konami has made no effort to hide this fact (and to be fair it did announce them as such with an admittedly slim banner on the collection’s promotional material). The menus for both games just flat out have ‘HD Edition’ plastered on them, with ‘© 2012 Konami’ still there as well.

This is just a little bit of a curiosity, as while the HD Editions of 2 and 3 released on PS3/Xbox 360 in 2012 in the EU and Oz, the collection was released in Japan in 2011 in the US and Japan. Now, I know Nintendo Life is run out of the UK, so maybe that's why they mention the 2012 release, but they mention that they played the Switch version specifically – part of me wonders if this release (or maybe even the Switch release specifically) is based on the Vita release of the games, which was released in all regions in 2012? But then even then I swear reading that certain areas in that version of the game would run at 60 fps ::shrug:

A last thought on this: while I'm sure they were compensated for it, it's strange to me how Bluepoint straight up haven't been recognised, as far as I can tell, during the promotion of this release, considering that these ports are straight up their work on the game (albeit somehow inferior?) and the constant references to their HD Editions. Very curious to see how credits are handled, but to be honest at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if they're the exact same as in the original HD Edition releases and they forget to include the new guys who have worked on this particular port job. 

Considering this is Vol. 1, I do kind of want to see Konami attempt (and fail to) untangle the mess that is MGS4. We also haven't seen their Suikoden remasters in a while...

1 hour ago, Julius said:

A last thought on this: while I'm sure they were compensated for it, it's strange to me how Bluepoint straight up haven't been recognised, as far as I can tell, during the promotion of this release, considering that these ports are straight up their work on the game (albeit somehow inferior?) and the constant references to their HD Editions. Very curious to see how credits are handled, but to be honest at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if they're the exact same as in the original HD Edition releases and they forget to include the new guys who have worked on this particular port job. 

Knowing Konami? I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the credits sequences out of all three games in their entierty... That's exactly the kind of thing that they'd do...

I'm not normally one to complain about frame rates but in this case it's completely unacceptable to limit the game to 30 FPS considering they all ran at 60 on Xbox 360 with no issues - 720/60 should have been the bare minimum for Konami to aim for

Any chance they patch these at some point down the line to run at a higher frame rate?

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Knowing Konami? I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the credits sequences out of all three games in their entierty... That's exactly the kind of thing that they'd do...

Yeah, totally agreed.

Makes MGS4's opening credits an interesting one when it goes on for 10 minutes and you see Kojima's name like 5 times. 

Even more interesting if they re-release V considering that every mission has those credits :laughing:

Did Kojima preempt all of this by plastering his name over everything? :p

5 hours ago, killthenet said:

I'm not normally one to complain about frame rates but in this case it's completely unacceptable to limit the game to 30 FPS considering they all ran at 60 on Xbox 360 with no issues - 720/60 should have been the bare minimum for Konami to aim for

Not that I disagree, and I think the Switch is more than able to hold its own when it comes to running these, but the wording in the article seems to suggest this might only apply to the Switch...which I'm sure will go over well if that does turn out to be the case. 

The games included in this collection ran pretty much flawlessly on PS3 too when I played them a couple of years ago, though there was one moment in Snake Eater where the frame rate did dip using a shotgun, and it was only made so noticeable because of how flawlessly it otherwise ran. 

I think I'll wait to see how it turns out and then hope a sale that'll hopefully come at some point, there are a few extra tidbits but my PS3 is still hooked up and so getting these will only really be to have the convenience of access on a newer system. It's such a shame I think, bringing a legendary collection of games back to the forefront and onto modern platforms in such a half-arsed way, but such is the state of the big publishers in the industry ::shrug:

EDIT: looks like this could be soft-confirmation of other platforms being 1080p/60fps ~

Seems in line with what Nintendo Life were saying before. It's kind of mental that Konami haven't confirmed it either way, you'd think performance should be front and centre for a remaster, especially a collection of them! 

Edited by Julius

Here we go, some clarity on the game's performance on each platform, per VGC:

• All platforms except Switch – 1080p / 60 frames per second target

• Switch (docked mode) – 1080p / 30 frames per second target

• Switch (handheld mode) – 720p / 30 frames per second target

So the Switch has been shafted seven ways to Sunday, as was expected after the previews. That's a massive shame. 

Oh, and amidst all this talk about performance a PS4 version was announced to be in the works:

And there will also be a disclaimer upon opening the game about potential outdated content:

Hmm. Best to be on the safe side, but also curious what exactly it is that they consider outdated. 

55 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

1080p on PS5/Series X is still crap, just less crap than the Switch version.

Agreed, though considering that for a hot minute everyone was worried that we were getting 720p ports, I'm fine with it. 

Surely Konami aren't smart enough for a simply marketing stunt like that, lowballing performance of re-releases for a decade old collection, before giving us what it was before? ::shrug:

Sign in to follow this