NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragon (27th July 2023)

A new Wednesday, a new game announcement – and a pretty neat one at that! 

Series icons Billy and Jimmy Lee are joined by Marian, returning as a fully realized, firearm-wielding ranged fighter, and newcomer Uncle Matin, a riot-shield-wielding powerhouse. Tag in and out as the classic Lee duo or switch it up with different characters. With two-player local cooperative play, the action quadruples as you and a friend clean up the mean streets.

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons is coming to PC, PlayStation 4 & 5, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch this fall from Modus Games.

Here's a bit more of an overview from Modus Games:

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons is a cooperative beat ’em up featuring tag team duos of fighters infused with roguelite elements to deliver classically informed, highly replayable Double Dragon-style brawls with a new edge that will revitalize the iconic franchise.

New York City in the year 199X: the city has been devastated by nuclear war. Its citizens fight for survival as riots, crime, and chaos flood the streets. Criminal gangs terrorize what remains as they vie for dominance. Unwilling to endure these conditions any longer, young Billy and Jimmy Lee take it upon themselves to reclaim their city.

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons gives players incredible, seamless tag team abilities and a multitude of strategies for devastating combos, defensive, and offensive moves across the game’s 13 unique playable characters.

Endless playthrough possibilities are made a reality with the game’s dynamic mission select function—the order in which you choose your mission will affect the mission length, number of enemies, and overall difficulty. Players choose between missions housed within city sectors, pursuing the leaders of four deadly gangs across unique stages packed with melee weapons, dangerously devoted members and varied environments perfect for all-out fights.

Cash is earned by using a Special KO on opponents, while health boosts are earned by performing Crowd Control moves, which are special KOs that knock out multiple enemies at once. Spend cash at the end of each stage to unlock powerful upgrades for your chosen characters or choose to save up your cash. Experiment with different duos, pursue alternate builds for your fighters through upgrades, and change the order in which they challenge the city’s sinister gang leaders.

Should a session end in defeat, players can convert any remaining cash into tokens usable to permanently unlock extra characters and bonuses in between sessions, making every battle serve a purpose. But buying a Continue with that token to instead extend a promising round of gang-slugging action is worth considering, too…

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons recalls the series’ classic aesthetic with refreshed pixel art visuals, sporting updated-yet-faithful appearances for both returning heroes and villains and a stirring soundtrack that keeps players ready for the next fight. With unlockable bonuses, adjustable difficulty levels, optional permadeath, and infinite modes, Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons is a robust revitalization of the series’ signature side-scrolling action. Online cooperative play is planned as a post-launch update later this year.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Can’t say I had Roguelike Double Dragon on my bingo card this year, but cool; I’ll tick it off anyway!

That's a very interesting direction to take a 2D side scrolling beat-em-up. Colour me intrigued.

Edited by Glen-i

doubledragongaidenriseofthedragonbanner.620x0.webp

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons is coming to the Switch

Now up on the main page.

Full overview, and trailer.

Thanks to @Julius for the heads-up on the news. :smile:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

Game has been bumped up from Autumn/Fall...to July 27th!

Overview trailer:

The Double Dragon brothers return in this fresh addition to the iconic beat 'em up franchise. With tag-team action, roguelite elements, and 13 playable characters, Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons is now available for pre-order and will launch July 27, 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Considering how absolutely packed Autumn is, I'm not surprised.

Fine by me!

I can't really explain how attached I am to Double Dragon.  Whether this is very much like Double Dragon... we'll see!

• Thanks 1

doubledragongaidenriseofthedragonsnewtrailerbanner.620x0.webp

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons new trailer

Now up on the main page.

Overview and character trailer.

- - - - -

This looks decent, I've pre-ordered it seeing as it can be bought for little over £20 for the physical version at the moment.

I haven't really properly played any new Beat 'Em Up's since Streets of Rage 4, so this should be decent for what it is.

• Thanks 1

doubledragongaidenriseofthedragonlaunchtrailerbanner.620x0.webp

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons launch trailer

Now up on the main page.

Overview and launch trailer.

- - - - -

Did anyone else pick this up on the eShop? (or physically?)

I bought it on two platforms, I'll probably be playing the Switch version first though. :smile:

• Thanks 1

I've played this now on the Switch.

If you want to see what an (almost) full playthrough looks like...

Check out the stream...

custom-5458d573-9c11-4c08-9070-031713b41a23-640x360.jpeg

Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons on the Nintendo Switch. (04/08/2023)

Skip to the last hour if you want to see the last (almost) complete playthrough, as this game does take an hour or two to get into.

I like how the game is setup, you choose from one of the four different missions, which are placed in different locations, taken over by various gangs. Each area is then divided into three stages or so, which are all basically part of the same area, and at the end of each stage, you get to choose how to upgrade your character.

I'm not too sure how the token system works, but if you set the continues to 'unlimited' at the start, it's not actually unlimited, but it's tied to how much cash you have in game, but at least it gives you enough for a couple of continues.

Of course, you could have more continues, if the opt not to buy any upgrades at the end of each stage, but you'll want the upgrades, as it makes the game more fun to play.

Anyway, just from the first playthrough, I can see that this is a great game, well worth playing, and it'll likely take a few tries to beat, unless you get lucky with the enemy placements, repeated combos gaining you healing items, which you'll need to maintain your single life for each character, per continue.

I'll be playing some more of this for certain. :peace:

• Thanks 3

Oh wow, that looks closer than I gave it credit for.  Great music and sound effects.  I'd have absolutely loved this on local co-op when I was young.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I'm defo adding this to the wishlist now. Cheers for the footage!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Free DLC is coming April 4th.

New characters, new modes, online co-op, and a VS mode, among other smaller things.

Online co-op is very much the thing that excites me the most. Probably time I jumped on once April comes around.

Edited by Glen-i

37 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Probably time I jumped on once April comes around.

You're in for a treat. One of my fav games from last year.

Update's out now. I think it's still on sale, but not certain, I bought it last week, but was waiting for now until I actually start it. Would anyone here be interested in playing it with me at some point?

Sign in to follow this