NEurope
Sméagol

Volunteering

I need to get to bed early today, because I actually have an early volunteering shift tomorrow! So I'm keeping this shorter than I'd otherwise have.

Who's doing any volunteering? Regularly or occasionally? And what do you do?

My first volunteer job (I believe) was at a local cinema (LantarenVenster in Rotterdam, if you ever visit). I've done that for many years, but it's also been a few years now since I quit. I quite miss it actually. Our job was to welcome visitors and check their tickets. It was a cool hangout. While at some point I didn't need the perk of watching films for free, as I got a cinema subscription (which got me access to other cinemas as well), it was cool to be able to go to jazz and other music concerts, as long as they weren't sold out. I saw Gregory Porter that way I believe, though occasionally I did just buy a ticket for popular concerts.

I haven't had a regular volunteer job since, although I've worked at plenty of local festivals, usually music festivals, and those are lots of fun. Well usually, depends a bit on the job too. One particular festival I've had to count incoming visitors a few times.. That's boring. But I've also been a stagehand at that same festival, and that's great. 

Next 2 weekends I'll be working at a animation festival, which is going to be much fun. I usually just stick to local festivals because of the travel expenses, but last year I decided to make an exception for this festival, and it was a lot of fun, so this year I'm back. For next weekend I've actually arranged to spend the night there. Next weekend is in Utrecht, a very fun city (probably my favourite city next to Rotterdam actually), and the weekend after will be in Amsterdam. They have a games department where I'll also be working.. it'll be the first time I'll touch a Switch in months haha.

In April I'll have another local music/art festival lined up.

But I'm looking at doing some regular volunteer jobs again. I'm considering a local youth theatre, a pop podium, and some others. Currently I'm also signed up for Red Cross, however I still need to get my first aid certificate, so I'm not actively working for Red Cross right now. When I do, I'll be at festivals and other events, providing first aid when needed.

There's a particular reason I've started this thread today.. and that's The Olympics. Even the Olympics have volunteers apparently, and you can apply for the 2024 Olympics in Paris since yesterday. I mean, there's a bit of an entry barrier.. it's essentially a working vacation where you don't get paid. But it looks like a fun and unique experience I don't want to miss, and something that'll be interesting on your resumé, so I've applied just now. If you're also interested, you can apply here:

https://www.paris2024.org/en/volunteers/

• Like 2

I have friends that volunteered at the 2012 Olympics and they loved it. Good for you @Sméagol, how did it go? I hope you get it!

I’m the Head Coach of a Trampoline Club and we’re run completely by volunteers. I absolutely love it & it’s such a buzz seeing someone’s delight at successfully pulling off a skill they’ve been working hard towards & knowing you’ve contributed to that feeling of excitement.

I’m actually pretty highly qualified and could charge a decent rate. I’ve been asked before why we do it voluntarily and myself and others do it as we love it, plus we can make it much more affordable (we are one of the cheapest sports clubs in the area) and so more people can do it. We have a British Champion, and myself and the other volunteers get just as much of a thrill whether someone’s completing a routine at a National competition, or whether it’s someone landing their first ever somersault.

I’m a huge fan of doing sports and the benefits of it. I know it’s not the same type of voluntary work as helping those in need, so I’m not going to pretend that it affects society in the same way. I love doing it though, and was humbled to be shortlisted for the ‘Volunteer of the Year’ at a regional Sports Awards evening a few years ago.

Edited by WackerJr
  • Like 2

On 08/05/2023 at 8:31 AM, WackerJr said:

I have friends that volunteered at the 2012 Olympics and they loved it. Good for you @Sméagol, how did it go? 

I won't hear until.. August I think.

On 08/05/2023 at 8:31 AM, WackerJr said:

II know it’s not the same type of voluntary work as helping those in need, so I’m not going to pretend that it affects society in the same way. 

Don't sell yourself short, sounds like a good thing you're doing. I myself am increasingly realizing the importance of sports and exercise. If you're making this more accessible to more people, that's a good thing.

• Thanks 1