NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Gary Lineker vs the BBC (and the Tories)

I'm in Japan at the moment and making a conscious effort to not bother with news but this broke through social media and while I'm not a soccer fan I am fascinated with how this has clashed with politics. 

There's obviously the angle that the BBC isn't applying it's policy in the same way (look at Alan Sugar's Twitter feed), the double standard of the Director of the BBC helping get Johnson a loan but apparently that's not bias and the utter fallout going against them as seemingly all football coverage is essentially non-existent today because everyone has stood in solidarity with Lineker. 

I know we have fans on this forum who can speak to that angle and I'd be curious to hear your thoughts about the situation and the impact (will you miss MOTD?) and obviously any wider thoughts on the whole mess.

Yes I did that on purpose to an noy people

• Thanks 1

I think it's absolutely hilarious. This could not have gone worse as a PR exercise. 

Unfortunately, I don't think it actually means anything in the long run. The fact that the heads of the BBC operate with such glaring bias will just get kicked under the rug, and nothing will change. Gary will probably be allowed back next week, and they'll pretend he got a slap on the wrist and carry on.

I am happy at how the footballing community all closed rank around Lineker though. They may have their personal rivalries during the season, but as soon as someone starts chatting shit against one of the legends of the game, they all club together to stand with him. 

You got me to look up what this was all about, because I'm not into football one bit, and after looking into it. Yeahhhhh...

I agree with @bob in terms of the long run. The only reason this is backfiring in the BBC's face is because it's football, and if there's one thing you don't do with the general British public, it's mess with football. The majority couldn't give a toss about the more and more obvious right wing bias the BBC is showing. Good on Gary for sticking to his guns so far. And good on all the other pundits for backing him up.

Edited by Glen-i

Apparently MOTD is only going to be 20.mins long, because they can't get anyone to commentate on the matches, or talk about them in between, or even interview any of the players.

I kind of want to watch it, but at the same time, I'll be boycotting it.

• Haha 1

Was checking last night for any footy and thought it was hilarious there was a minute-by-minute for this unfolding instead. The list of BBC double-standards that Skysports person reeled off was quality. The clip should be included in this:

I see Rishi is saying this Linekar thing is a matter for the BBC, not the government. Come onnnn.

43 minutes ago, bob said:

I am happy at how the footballing community all closed rank around Lineker though. They may have their personal rivalries during the season, but as soon as someone starts chatting shit against one of the legends of the game, they all club together to stand with him. 

Yes, I agree.

Though it's not like they depend on the beeb since they all present/do punditry/co-commentate for other channels.

10 minutes ago, bob said:

Apparently MOTD is only going to be 20.mins long, because they can't get anyone to commentate on the matches, or talk about them in between, or even interview any of the players.

Wonder how the Bargain Hunt ratings today were. :laughing: 

Liverpool will have been glad they had one less media outlet to explain themselves to. Idiots. 

• Thanks 2

A matter of impartiality!? From the Tory dick suckers at the BBC!? FUCKING LOL!

You can't make this up!

4 hours ago, bob said:

How long is it normally? Feels like 2 hours. 

6 hours ago, Ashley said:

How long is it normally? Feels like 2 hours. 

Averages usually around an hour and a half.

Can feel like hours depending on how long they waste on United.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/bbc-apologises-sports-shows-pulled-145102953.html

"Working hard towards resolving the situation" which I can only think of happening in thrice ways

• Lineker apologising
  • BBC apologising
  • BBC paying Lineker (and maybe more) off and both pretend it didn't happen

First one I don't think will happen. I understand the BBC looks their impartiality, but to enforce that upon each of their employees is pure ridiculous. But it'll blow over as most things do...

Yeah I imagine they'll say they've come to an agreement but it'll be nothing really. From what I've seen the impartiality thing is really for news staff and he's freelance so not bound by the same rules as strongly. 

4 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/bbc-apologises-sports-shows-pulled-145102953.html

"Working hard towards resolving the situation" which I can only think of happening in thrice ways

• Lineker apologising
  • BBC apologising
  • BBC paying Lineker (and maybe more) off and both pretend it didn't happen

First one I don't think will happen. I understand the BBC looks their impartiality, but to enforce that upon each of their employees is pure ridiculous. But it'll blow over as most things do...

Or they replace everyone and reboot MOTD... 

I honestly wouldn't put it past the BBC to do this.  They weren't afraid to reboot Top Gear after what happened with Jeremy Clarkson, and that's literally the BBC's single most popular programme.

Other than there's a slight difference threatening a staff member with violence and pointing out that the government's policy is cruel. 

Not that I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but if they did it would show further proof that the BBC has a bias under current management. 

This is a non story to me. I remember years ago (2008), the press went on and on about Jonathan Ross who went to a Russell Brand show on the BBC and said some silly things. The whole thing was blown up by the press. When the BBC is in the news, I lose interest in the story. It's bread and circuses.

I don't have a TV license and I don't watch TV. If Gary Lineker wants to say something on his own twitter account then that's up to him. If he says something political on MOTD then that is a completely different angle.

PS - Ashley, enjoy Japan!

Edited by sumo73
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sumo73 said:

PS - Ashley, enjoy Japan!

Thanks, I'm now in Mexico! But I did enjoy Japan.

Wasn't the Brand/Ross thing also a bit more personal; as in, weren't they commenting on the bosses daughter or something?

Anyway, Lineker is returning to talk about kicking a ball while the organisation "reviews their policies".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Thanks, I'm now in Mexico! But I did enjoy Japan.

Wasn't the Brand/Ross thing also a bit more personal; as in, weren't they commenting on the bosses daughter or something?

I think Brand was calling dude who played Manuel in Fawlty Towers and was talking about plowing his daughter 

It's the point that the BBC is back in the news again which I talked about earlier. For some people, it will move away from Gary Linker and what he said and move into x person is paid too much and we should defund the BBC...

I remember waaaay back when the "Dodgy Dossier" was a thing and that gentleman who was hounded to death by the press committed suicide: The BBC newsroom had a distinctly anti-government bent to it, you could tell the hosts were practically spitting venom over the way that the press were being used as the scapegoat for the misdeeds of the Labour Government.

Sign in to follow this