NEurope
Julius

Pokémon Presents: 27th February 2023 @ 14:00 GMT

Here we go again! 

It's finally time for a Mystery Dungeon Explorers remake, right? Right?! And how can we forget a genuine GOTY contender in Pokémon Sleep?! 

More seriously though, probably Scarlet & Violet DLC getting announced, and maybe an update on the new Detective Pikachu game? Crazy that we're seemingly entering the final stretch of the Switch's life and it's still nowhere to be seen. 

(and idk maybe get some more old games on Switch while you're at it with the eShops closing next month please & thank you)

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Kinda hoping that it ends up being an all new PKMD game and not just another remake.  I mean, Explorers of Sky DX would be nice and all, but it’s also pretty sad that we haven’t had an all new PKMD game for 7 years now…

That being said, I’ll gladly take anything PMKD related (as well as all of the past Pokémon titles on GB/GBA/N64 NSO; thank you very much!

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

Kinda hoping that it ends up being an all new PKMD game and not just another remake.  I mean, Explorers of Sky DX would be nice and all, but it’s also pretty sad that we haven’t had an all new PKMD game for 7 years now…

both-is-good-both.gif

I get where you're coming from...but also Explorers is basically the Chrono Trigger of this spinoff series. It's pretty undeniably the best one, so it'd be a very Square Enix-esque move to remake a lesser received game in the series, skip remaking/re-releasing the best one, and then jump to making a new one. I mean I'll take a new one, but remaking the best one and having it be on modern platforms is the move I'm pulling for. 

And yes, I'm still salty we don't have Chrono Trigger on the Switch :p

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

That being said, I’ll gladly take anything PMKD related (as well as all of the past Pokémon titles on GB/GBA/N64 NSO

You'll get a Magikarp Jump port and nothing more :p

But seriously, I think if we're actually going to see the legacy core series titles come to NSO, now really is the time to start making those announcements, what with GB/GBA being announced in the recent Direct and the 3DS and Wii U eShops going down at the end of next month. I'm still half of the mind that they won't end up on NSO if they do come, because again, there's just too much money being left on the table otherwise.

And if they come in any form, NSO or piecemeal, I expect a trickle at best after potentially shadow-dropping the Gen I (and maybe Gen II?) titles which are VC on 3DS on Pokémon Day. I'll be shocked if we get them all at once, especially the GBA games. 

3 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Bollocks to Mystery Dungeon, give us Rangers NAAAOW.

See the above GIF :p

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Julius said:

See the above GIF :p

NOOOOO. You've had many years of Mystery Dungeon whilst the Rangerers have had nothing. Now you must wallow in the shadows!

Just now, EEVILMURRAY said:

NOOOOO. You've had many years of Mystery Dungeon whilst the Rangerers have had nothing. Now you must wallow in the shadows!

Maybe if you Rangerers actually bought the damn games, we wouldn't be here.

That's what happens when you churn out two sequels in far too short a time, I suppose.

Also, how the hell are you supposed to circle as fast as you need to on a Switch screen for those games!? Go on, try doing that on a Switch and let me know how long it takes you to scratch it.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Glen-i said:

Also, how the hell are you supposed to circle as fast as you need to on a Switch screen for those games!? Go on, try doing that on a Switch and let me know how long it takes you to scratch it.

You waggle the joy con like you did in Galaxy. I'm so innovative.

Just now, EEVILMURRAY said:

You waggle the joy con like you did in Galaxy. I'm so innovative.

That would be even less accurate!

Unless Ranger gets a severe shift in how it's played, I'm afraid that the 3DS was that series last chance. It's a shame. They're quite good. But to be honest, you only need to play the third one, then you've pretty much seen what there is to see.

Also doesn't help that Creatures Inc. is likely working on that rumoured Detective Pikachu sequel.

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

That would be even less accurate!

*more challenging

C'maahn work with me here. All I have are straws to clutch.

I honestly don't know where the franchise is going now. I feel it hit its peak now*, I can imagine some DLC coming, and most likely some more additions to Pokémon Unite or the other free tat they've slapped the franchise on (café mix etc), or new instances thereof. But evolution of the main franchise... No idea. What I would like to see is a New Ranger game  proper 3D remastering of a previous game, remaking it in the vein of Scarlet/Violet because that's what the kids want nowadays. Maybe Black and White as that's the last one not redone (I think), but instead of the big open S/V bullshit with teeny looking towns, do something similar to Xenoblade Chronicles.

*not quality peak, it hit that awhile back.

They will capitalise on the 3DS eShop closure to port classics like Pokémon Rumble to Switch. Or will they have the courage to put Pokémon Dash up against MK 8 DX? I've no realistic demands or expectations for this, but if there's a great game revealed then count me in.

Just wanted to respond to these:

1 hour ago, Julius said:

It's finally time for a Mystery Dungeon Explorers remake, right?

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

That being said, I’ll gladly take anything PMKD related (as well as all of the past Pokémon titles on GB/GBA/N64 NSO; thank you very much!

Mystery Dungeon Shiren the Wanderer is 50% off! So you can enjoy the real thing right now instead of hoping for another watered-down Pokémonised version! :grin: 

Even you, @EEVILMURRAY.

Can't believe @Glen-i didn't mention PMD...

1 hour ago, Julius said:

I get where you're coming from...but also Explorers is basically the Chrono Trigger of this spinoff series.

Tell me you've no idea what Chrono Trigger is without telling me you've no idea what Chrono Trigger is. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Tell me you've no idea what Chrono Trigger is without telling me you've no idea what Chrono Trigger is. 

It's the most critically acclaimed game in the series.

Despite being the most critically acclaimed game in the series, it's not available on modern platforms. In general I think they just call that "pulling a Square Enix". 

It has the best soundtrack in the series, and one that's honestly up there for me with some of the best. There are tracks in the game which straight up sound like they belong in Chrono Trigger. 

It has brilliantly realised characters, writing, and clear and distinct themes, which it tackles pretty much flawlessly against a very similar story backdrop. 

And when I compare it to Chrono Trigger, it's largely because of how close it comes to its vibe (and story) at times, whether it be the extremely animated sprites to, well, all the time travel stuff. It's not surprising at all when you consider the lineage of the Mystery Dungeon series tracing back to Koichi Nakamura working on and directing multiple projects spearheaded by Yuji Horii. 

But yeah, you got me, I've got absolutely zero idea what I'm talking about when it comes to not one but two of my favourite games :peace:

Edited by Julius

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

But yeah, you got me, I've got absolutely zero idea what I'm talking about when it comes to not one but two of my favourite games :peace:

I'll have to bow to your superior PMD knowledge on this one... because... otherwise... :confused: 

...otherwise this could keep me awake at night. :p 

7 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

I'll have to bow to your superior PMD knowledge on this one... because... otherwise... :confused: 

I mean it wasn't a perfect analogy to begin with, but nothing ever is :p basically: great game, similar vibes (tonally, musically, thematically), completely disrespected by their publishers with no release on modern consoles

7 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

...otherwise this could keep me awake at night. :p 

Ah, so we should continue? :laughing:

pokemon-sadism.gif

Quick @Glen-i get in here for the ol' alley-oop :p

12 minutes ago, Julius said:

I mean it wasn't a perfect analogy to begin with, but nothing ever is :p basically: great game, similar vibes (tonally, musically, thematically), completely disrespected by their publishers with no release on modern consoles

Ah, so we should continue? :laughing:

Later:
uc?export=view&id=1Xw94RbJLIVrk2Hwp1w3pdw5N35zQfLdE

I've just lost 20+ minutes thinking about this without typing anything. :laughing: IT DOESN'T ADD UP.

Nope, still nowhere near getting it but then I've not played the Explorers game, and saying a game is "the Chrono Trigger of the series" is conjuring up something I can't figure out how to make work with a Pokémon title. :peace: 

In fact, it seems @Dcubed is the only person making any sense here. :eek: Indeed they could do us a favour by announcing some games for the GB/GBA NSO service and forget about remakes. Could even throw in Transfer Pak connectivity with the N64 NSO Stadium games when they're at it.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

In fact, it seems @Dcubed is the only person making any sense here. :eek:

Bloody hell! Must be something seriously wrong around here then!

• Haha 2

pokemonpresents27022023banner.620x0.webp

Pokémon Presents 27.02.2023 to be shown on Monday 27th February

Now up on the main page... ::shrug:

• Thanks 1

There's so much advance notice I had to check a few times I hadn't read the date wrong. 

It'll be 11pm in Okinawa so I'll probably be asleep because I'm old. 

On 21/02/2023 at 3:49 PM, darksnowman said:

Can't believe @Glen-i didn't mention PMD...

Haven't been able to get online much this week. But seeing as you're clearly jonesing for it...

On 21/02/2023 at 4:30 PM, Julius said:

Quick @Glen-i get in here for the ol' alley-oop :p

See, you want an Explorers remake, @Dcubed wants a new entry. I can't decide which I'd prefer!

As far as the factors surrounding the gameplay go, nothing in any Pokémon game has nailed it like Explorers of Sky has. It's a good looking game with an excellent plot, superb music and an extensive amount of content to it. But since then, I've played Super Mystery Dungeon, and the gameplay in that is challenging and has a dearth of mechanics in it! I've since wanted an Explorers remake that keeps most of the non gameplay stuff intact, but uses the gameplay stuff seen in Super.

Rescue Team DX can be described best as "Rescue Team with Super's gameplay". So take Super's gameplay, and Rescue Team DX's gorgeous watercolour art style, and plonk it in Explorers, and that's dream game territory!

But there's arguments for a new entry in my head. Of course, a new story is always exciting. Spike Chunsoft have really excelled in bringing great plots to the Pokémon franchise, so I'm up for anything their writers whip up. And to put Dcubed's point another way, we haven't had an MD game with any Pokémon from Sun/Moon onward! We haven't had Incineroar or Toxtricity yet, and I really want to see their takes on characterising them.

Now, there's a chance that a theoretical Explorers remake would have more modern Pokémon, but after Rescue Team DX, I don't expect anything more then what was already there, plus Slyveon, and maybe Arceus.

Of course, I wouldn't be expecting Mystery Dungeon more then I normally do, if it wasn't for that thing Dcubed showed me a little while back. Can't remember the details, but it had Spike Chunsoft listed in a trademark for some Pokémon thing with the 1993 date next to them, which is when they did their first Mystery Dungeon. It's too convenient. And after the disappointing year of Pokémon games last year, I really need a good Pokémon game again.

• Like 1

Oh wow! Pokémon Concierge looks good!

Hopefully it doesn’t get cancelled before the first series comes out.

Edited by Dcubed

Just now, Dcubed said:

Oh wow! Pokémon Concierge looks good!

Agreed, but it'll be cancelled after 1 season since it's Netflix.

• Haha 1

A Pokémon Sleep update?!

F I N A L L Y

GOTY 2023 has arrived :p

Edited by Julius