NEurope
Ashley

The Super Mario Bros. Movie (April 7th UK)

There will be a post-credits scene so hang around for the credits.

Also, Chris Pratt and Seth Rogen have talked about their roles and voices in the movie:

Pratt : “You know, come watch the movie. Go watch the movie and then we can talk. I really think that once you’ve seen the movie – you know what, in all honesty, I think you probably need to watch it twice. I think that in all honesty though is that this is a passionate fanbase and it makes sense. I understand, I’m part of it. This is the soundtrack to your youth. You don’t want someone to come along and cynically kind of destroy it as a cash grab with a movie. I fully understand that, you do not want that to happen, and there are so many hearts and souls and minds dedicated to making sure that didn’t happen.”

Source: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhj4dHIzUao

Rogen: “I was very clear, I don’t do voices. And if you want me to be in this movie, it’s gonna sound like me and that’s it. And that was the beginning and end of that conversation. I was like, ‘if you want Donkey Kong to sound a lot like me, I’m your guy’. But it did seem to work, you know. I think in the film and in the game I think all you really know about Donkey Kong is that he throws barrels, and he does not like Mario very much. That’s honestly kind of what I ran with – this idea that he hates Mario, that they have an adversarial relationship, that he’s annoyed by him, that he doesn’t want to be stuck with him, that he wishes he was on this adventure without him. To me that was funny and that was kind of the root of the character, and it was born out of the mythology of the games.”

Source: https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/seth-rogen-donkey-kong-voice-super-mario-bros-movie/

Especially Seth Rogen's comments makes me a bit sad. It sounds like he didn't make any effort but we'll see. Will be seeing it on the 5th.

Unfortunately DK definitely does sound exactly like Rogen. That's the only voice work that I'm not a fan of, at least from what we've seen. Which is a shame cause everything else about DK looks great.

What should DK sound like? I don't think i've ever heard him talk in anything yet.

45 minutes ago, bob said:

What should DK sound like? I don't think i've ever heard him talk in anything yet.

He has a couple of spoken lines in Donkey Kong 64.

Which, to be fair, it's Donkey Kong 64, the further away the IP gets from that, the better.

48 minutes ago, bob said:

• Thanks 2

It still, to this day, baffles me that DK has a surprisingly good singing voice in that show.

That actor was hired with only the most specific of priorities.

• Haha 1

We don't know that's not what Seth Rogen sounds like when he sings...

3 minutes ago, bob said:

We don't know that's not what Seth Rogen sounds like when he sings...

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
  • Haha 1

I honestly can't wait to see this. It looks incredible and there's going to be so many easter eggs that will be missed without multiple viewings.

• Like 1

Getting great reviews from people who've seen it. Not sure when official reviews are out though.

Overall consensus seems to be: fun, amazing animation + music/sound, great voice acting, a million easter eggs but the storyline is weak. So basically, a Mario game on the big screen.

And one bad one:

Edited by Ronnie

"overly goofy, bare-bones plot, filled with bad jokes" is what I'm expecting with the people involved tbh. 

Had a look at cinemas here and there's one advertised as subtitled but doesn't clarify what the audio language is so going to try and ask them at some point on the off chance it's English. 

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

"overly goofy, bare-bones plot, filled with bad jokes" is what I'm expecting with the people involved tbh. 

What about you know, fun? That's what the majority consensus is.

16 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

What about you know, fun? That's what the majority consensus is.

You seem to have mistaken what I said as criticism. 

• Thanks 1

Is this the thread we argue about a film none of us have seen yet?

Dunno but I'm looking forward to seeing the film regardless. 

Why? The film is trash and you shouldn't waste your money.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bob said:
13 hours ago, Ashley said:

Why? The film is trash and you shouldn't waste your money.

I waste my money on trash all the time. My money helps pay for you to be here 😋

Reviews are coming out now... Currently sitting at a 48% on RT as of the time of smashing random letters on this keyboad...

mariodies.gif

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

The Guardian doesn't like it, but their film reviews always tend to be bitter and angry anyway. 

A cinema chain has confirmed that their subtitled showing is English audio but there's another a bit closer that's not responded but think I'll give it a go. Conventional wisdom is that the word they've used indicates it's Spanish subtitles but original audio. Just a shame it's at 20:45 and I'm old 😅

Update

On the flip side, The Verge is much more positive (giving credence to the idea it's main audience is fans as to be expected). There's nothing spoilery in that review but an interesting reference to a specific game early on may be one so perhaps worth avoiding until after you've seen it in case. 

"it uses every possible opportunity it has to make its various fantastical worlds feel like living, breathing, organic places that you’d want to spend hours exploring"

Not a film for the ages—it felt like a sting of cutscenes that was missing in between progress bits, but I thought it was solid enough for Godzilla fans like us who enjoy a good old Mario romp with stuff in the background to nerd out over while nice renditions of series music play. The blue Luma for best newcomer? (Provided it is a newcomer and they didn't yoink it from something I haven't played/ don't remember...?) Final confrontation seemed reminiscent of the finale of the Sonic movie...?