NEurope
Ashley

The Super Mario Bros. Movie (April 7th UK)

thesupermariobrosmoviedirecttobebroadcaston09032023banner.620x0.webp

The Super Mario Bros. Movie Direct to be broadcast on 09/03/2023

Now up on the main page.

Times for all regions, embedded YouTube video, link to the website, and the Plumbing commercial from earlier this month.

The direct is still a week and a half away, at time of writing.

- - - - -

On 22/02/2023 at 6:12 PM, BowserBasher said:

Just posting the image larger as I think it's funny that Toad seems to have smart steering on. He has the antenna that you have on the back of your kart the you do.

There's a reason you were the one to spot this. ;) 

It's a-been-a bumped up – to April 5th! 

Per Variety:

Universal and Illumination's "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" will now hit theaters around the world two days earlier than expected, the company announced Tuesday. The movie's new release date is Wednesday, April 5, instead of its original Friday, April 7.

In addition to going wide domestically, "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" will release in more than 60 markets around the world, including China, Australia, France Germany, Italy, Brazil Mexico and the U.K. and Ireland.

There are around 10 markets in Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Eastern Europe opening on a variety of dates in April and May, Universal also announced. "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" will release in Japan on April 28, timed to the Golden Week Holidays.

Likely targeting some five-day opening records of some sort with this two day bump – opening night was always going to be big, and so was it's opening weekend, so why not stretch that out and open on the Wednesday instead of the Friday, eh? 

money-nintendo.gif

Edited by Julius

The release date was always April 5th here in Denmark due to Easter holidays on Thursday and Friday (movies usually premier on Thursdays here). You don't have days off due to Easter in UK? 

24 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

You don't have days off due to Easter in UK? 

Over here we get the Friday off for Good Friday and the Monday off as Easter Monday (which I guess might technically be a carryover from not being able to make the Easter Sunday a bank holiday) :peace:

But honestly when you put it that way I do question why it was billed for the 7th in the first place. Our cinemas would probably still be open anyways but you're right, the Easter weekend was always going to be a weird weekend to premiere. 

This reeks of someone going to book time off for Easter and then realising that they were about to premiere on what is a national holiday in a bunch of countries :laughing:

If anyone spots that tickets are on sale in the UK could you ping this thread please? I'm rubbish at noticing stuff like that

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

If anyone spots that tickets are on sale in the UK could you ping this thread please? I'm rubbish at noticing stuff like that

I'll try keep an eye out :peace:

Given that the Direct for the final trailer is on Thursday 9th March, and with the 10th being a Friday and Mario day, at a guess it'll go live then, if not early the following week? 

Or it'll just be a random Tuesday as is often the case :laughing:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

For what it's worth tickets usually go on sale a week at a time. I can't remember what day it is but if you look at one of their websites you should be able to see the cutoff date based on the listings. 

15 minutes ago, Ashley said:

For what it's worth tickets usually go on sale a week at a time. I can't remember what day it is but if you look at one of their websites you should be able to see the cutoff date based on the listings. 

Yeah that's what I was getting at above, it's normally Tuesdays for Odeon (or was in the past when I was regular in the pre-COVID times) and a couple of other places, but of course ymmv when it comes to other chains, and especially independent places. 

I don't think this film is quite big enough to be one of the films which is an exception to that and has tickets drop the same day as the final trailer (such as with Star Wars or Endgame), but then again, they did give everyone a good two and a half weeks of notice for the final trailer and it's Direct, so they very well could be gearing up for that "Tickets available now/tomorrow!" ::shrug:

Thanks guys, shows how often I go to the cinema that I figured tickets might be out weeks/a month in advance for this. Guess I'll keep an eye out around the trailer/Direct like you say @Julius just in case.

Looking at the box office of previous Illumination films it seems like breaking $1BN is a possibility - would definitely be surprised if it doesn't at least overtake Warcraft as the highest grossing video game adaptation.

Finally got round to checking and it has releasing in Argentina around the same time so providing I can find a version either with Spanish subs or (maybe preferably, if unlikely) dubbed with English subs I'll check it out there. 

Friendly reminder that the Direct and final trailer are going live tonight:

You know, in case you understandably completely forgot about it happening in the two weeks since it was initially announced :p

• Haha 1

In fairness I did. That'll be 7am for me so I'll watch it when I'm up. 

Also skipping this trailer, but I hope people hate it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I probably won't watch it either. As excited as I am for the film, I have already seen far more than I would most other films. I tend to go in having watched just one trailer, sometimes just the description and poster lol. 

• Like 1

Watched the trailer (the direct is 40 minutes?! Unless that includes the countdown) 

I wonder if they've only shown a little bit of Pratt's dialogue across all of them following comments on the first, of its just reflective of the fact Mario doesn't actually talk that much in the film. Petty sure both Bowser and Peach got more dialogue than him in this trailer. 

6 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Watched the trailer (the direct is 40 minutes?! Unless that includes the countdown)

I just watched it, skipped through most of the talking parts at 2X speed, then watched the trailer.

For anyone who hasn't seen the Direct yet...

The start point for the Direct part is around the 30:00 point, and the direct ends at around the 36:45 point.

You can watch the video here.

Good trailer, I'll put the 'Roundup' article up either later or tomorrow. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G

Yeah I just started playing it and it came up as 7 minutes so guessing it's something that's fixed after the stream ends.

Watched the direct and counted and Mario says 13 words (and some noises)

• Thanks 2

Good trailer, not that it needed much more to really hype the movie up mind.  Doesn’t spoil much, but if you’re going to see the film anyway and are worried about seeing too much beforehand then you’re not missing out here.

They really are including plenty of gaming references and displaying a strong knowledge of the franchise.  So far, so good!

• Like 1

This movie is looking amazing, everything about it just seems perfect to me. The offical site for the film has been updated, its designed to look like the actual website the Mario bros use to promote their plumbing business: https://www.smbplumbing.co.uk/

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2

I know the one the other week was marketed as the final trailer but so is this one from the other day and I'm sure there's a few new bits:

• Like 1