NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Nintendo Direct (8th February 2023 @ 22:00 GMT)

That was a nice Direct.  I got MOTHER FUCKING ADVANCE WARS and a few nice bonus things too :)

Well. Thought that was shaping up to be pretty lacklustre which is no bad thing as there's plenty to be getting on with, but it picked up from Sea of Stars for me.

Put me down for Pikmin, Ghost Trick, Sea of Stars, Etrian Odyssey, GB and GBA, Baten Kaitos, Fantasy Life, maybe Blanc and Megman. I'll give Omega Stars a go for sure. Tears of the Kingdom obligatory purchase. Hope it's decent. And short.

I'm interested in a new Advance Wars, but after the delay, I'll see if I think this one needs the "support". 

Not sure at all about the Splatoon 3 DLC! Want to know more about Fantasy Life, like, do I need to buy the 3DS DLC before that's gone forever or will the Switch game have that content??

Tron Identity could be interesting? And Decapolice?

• Like 1

No Dragon Quest 3 HD but I can finally play Ghost Tiick without having to pay stupid prices for it now.

Was surprised ot see an actual Samba de Ammigo game too.

Edited by martinist
spelling

11 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Oh God, Ganondorf sounds SO bad! :cry:

If you've played Zelda before you'll know that he is bad.

7 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

That was a great direct. That new track they've made for Mario kart look awesome and I’m really happy to have Birdo back, I used that character all the time on Wii

Hope it opens the door for more characters like Diddy and maybe the train kart from Double Dash too.

Looked like those Gameboy and GBA games were being demo'd on your account. 

• Like 1

Went to check the UK Nintendo Store in case Prime Remastered was already up for pre-order physically, and the site has crashed from a high volume of users.

Seems about right, between a delayed physical release of Metroid Prime Remastered and the Tears of the Kingdom CE :laughing:

Edited by Julius

That was extremely void of any actual Nintendo games... Pikmin 4 and TotK were the only ones created by Nintendo, the rest were remasters or DLC.

I think the biggest surprise for me is you can pre-order a free to play game. 

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

GB Tetris coming to Switch, incredible!

Why is it never the DX version though?

• Thanks 1

Great Direct.

- Tears of the Kingdom looks amazing, they knew they had to show lots of new gameplay and that's what we got. Still feels like there's one more big trailer left to come though. It was never going to be a longer segment than what we got.

- Pikmin 4 also looks great. Fun and clean graphics.

- After all this time, just a casual Metroid Prime shadow drop. LOL

- Yoshi's Island course in MK8 looks great! 

- Nice to see Advance Wars lives. It was only a matter of time.

- GB and GBA is a nice addition to NSO. Looking forward to playing the Oracle games again for the first time since they were released.

- Loved Fantasy Life on the 3DS so will definitely pick this new one up. And a new Layton?!?!

- DecaPolice looks pretty good actually, and I'm not normally into turn based JRPG type games.

- Octopath 2 looks like a huge step up, graphically.

- I know a ton of people love Fire Emblem and Xenoblade but it feels like both games show up in every single Direct so for me personally it was nice to see them limited to just a couple of quick headlines this time around.

Overall, for a console that's nearing the end of its life (ish), B+ Direct.

Edited by Ronnie

The biggest shocker of this Direct, by far, is the rebirth of Level 5.  No, really, it's insane!

I'm SO happy to see them back in bed with Nintendo and looking like their old selves again! I honestly thought that the company was basically done for good!

NOBODY saw it coming! It's so fantastic to see them back! Hopefully this relationship continues long into the future and we continue seeing them kicking arse like they did back in the DS and 3DS eras! :D

Edited by Dcubed

On 07/02/2023 at 8:26 PM, Jonnas said:

Hopes and Dreams

• Still waiting for that Advance Wars release date...
  • ...and maybe a remaster of Baten Kaitos and/or Skies of Arcadia? :D

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!

KjFwApX.gif

Hopes and Dreams

• Translated versions of the SNES Fire Emblems
  • New Wario Land!

Ok, so. We did get a rerelease of the best Fire Emblem AND of the best Wario Land. I really can't complain.

Realistic expectations

• I expect FE Engage DLC to be officially revealed. Its contents have been datamined, and if they're correct, I'm excited to see it in motion.
  • On a similar note, no DLC whatsoever for Three Hopes. Doesn't sound like they ever had a DLC plan for that game.
  • Pikmin 4: the first real look into the game
  • Tears of the Kingdom: an in-depth look. 5 minutes at most.
  • Miyamoto: "The Mario movie is almost out! Super Nintendo World is already open! Bye!"
  • (further) Roadmap plans for Mario Kart, Switch Sports, and Splatoon 3

Only one point completely wrong. Pretty good prediction, if I say so myself!

• Baten Kaitos Collection makes me really happy. It's so great to see some quirky classics resurface;
  • Advance Wars resurfaces! :bouncy: What an unbelievably bumpy road;
  • The datamine for Fire Emblem Engage was right on the money. Hector looks more baby-faced than I'd like, but Soren and Veronica look excellent;
  • GHOST TRICK!!!!!!!111!!!!1!!
  • Pikmin 4 looks lovely. Not sure I like the dog, but I do love the Ice Pikmin;
  • Layton returns! :o Respect;
  • There were two detective games with RPG battles, and I don't think I'm feeling the genre fusion;
  • I REPEAT! GHOST TRICK!!11!!
  • GB and GBA games on the NSO was superb. Finally, a good reason to subscribe to the service;
  • Metroid Prime shadow dropped? Mo'like mah jaw-dropped, amirite? Great to see one of the best games ever, returning in good form like this;
  • Tears of the Mononoke Kingdom be looking great. I actually like Ganondorf's voice, it matches the various gruff, evil laughs we heard from him throughout the decades.

So yeah, I really liked this direct. Packed to the brim with a lot of exciting content for me personally, and also not for me personally!

EDIT: In the middle of all this excitement, I even forgot something that's also exciting: We Love Katamari :yay:

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Still feels like there's one more big trailer left to come though

I expect it's own direct will crop up. Honestly expected them to give a timeframe at the end but I'd guess in a month's time it might get it's own dedicated direct

Sea of Stars looks stunning. One of the prettiest pixel art games I've seen in a while.

nintendodirect08022023roundupbanner.620x0.webp

Nintendo Direct 08/02/2023 Roundup

Now up on the main page.

N-Europe's roundup of the event, featuring a formatted press release, and video embed. :peace:

- - - - -

Thoughts...

• Metroid Prime Remastered, finally! (almost) Waiting for the boxed copy.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom... decent trailer, might buy it, but probably not for £70.
  • PIkmin 4... looks good, though I lost interest in the franchise a while ago.
  • Game Boy and GBA games on NSO... yep, it's a start, nice to see Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare on there.
  • Mario Kart 8 DX dlc... nice new track, new characters too? Add a load of them, it'll add more variety.
  • Ghost Trick, Etrian Odyssey & Baten Kaitos remasters... another way to play these games is definitely welcome.
  • Everything else... yep.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

might buy it, but probably not for £70.

It's not £70

32 minutes ago, bob said:
1 hour ago, darksnowman said:
The Power Pro Baseball game is only 79p and I'm not seeing what the catch is because according to Konami, it does not have microtransactions and will receive roster updates. Seems like a good deal. ::shrug: 

The catch is that once you've downloaded and installed it, you end up with a baseball game.

I think you might have cracked it.

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

It's not £70

OK, not for £60 then.

I looked at the price on the US press release, which was $69.99... I'm used to the dollars price ending up being the same in pounds, so I guessed it would be around £70. ::shrug:

(I could only see a US press release around when I went to post the roundup, I'll edit the RRP now)

I'm glad to see that this isn't the case.

Typically, first-party Nintendo games have been around £49.99 for a physical copy, then with various offers on eBay, I've been able to get new Switch games, not long after release, or even on a pre-order for around £42... so perhaps getting a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom for around £55 physical at around the release date might be possible, unless there is a really good pre-order bonus item which might negate some of the extra cost of course.

It looks good, if it has more in the way of dungeons or temples in this game, I can see more people potentially purchasing it, and sticking with the game for longer.

I noticed that the original Breath of the Wild is on 'sale' for around £40 on the eShop... which seems good for digital, I just rebought a physical copy of the game for £35 before the price probably goes up again. (I had the Collector's Edition, but sold it a short while ago)

I might go back to the original to see whatever I missed from years ago.

15 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Would be keen to hear @RedShell's impressions of this Direct :)

I don't reckon you would. :heh:

Yeah... the truth is I remain seriously unimpressed with Nintendo's upcoming Switch plans. :hmm: That's not to say it was a bad Direct, just that it was bad for me. If I could erase my memory of the past few decades and all of the games I'd already played, then I would've loved it! :hehe: As things stand though, watching that Direct felt like watching a repeat. :blank:

Still looking forward to Zelda at least, and the new MK8 track looks good (hopefully they chuck that one on Tour at some point too, although it also just got an original track in the form of Piranha Plant Cove).
Actually, Pikmin 4 is looking pretty great as well, but unfortunately I've enjoyed that series less and less with each instalment so it's not something I'm interested in checking out either. ::shrug:

But hey, it's all good, I've got enough to keep me going on PC (am re-subbed to Game Pass :D) while I wait for Nintendo to get creative again. :)

Edited by RedShell
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Typically, first-party Nintendo games have been around £49.99 for a physical copy, then with various offers on eBay, I've been able to get new Switch games, not long after release, or even on a pre-order for around £42... so perhaps getting a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom for around £55 physical at around the release date might be possible, unless there is a really good pre-order bonus item which might negate some of the extra cost of course.

ShopTo have it up for pre-order for £49.85

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this