NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

The Official 2023 Events Thread—Of E3 Hesitancy and Other Things

E3 2023 Nintendo

Nintendo reportedly skipping E3 2023 entirely

Nintendo has always been a big part of E3, but rumor has it that the Big N will be skipping this year’s trade show. That’s according to IGN, who “has heard from multiple knowledgeable sources that Xbox, Sony, and Nintendo won’t be part of E3 2023 or have presence on the Los Angeles Convention Center showfloor.”

E3 has not been the powerhouse that it was since the coronavirus pandemic started in 2020. After attempting an online-only version in 2021, the show was scrapped entirely for 2022. Now E3 is looking to make a big return for 2023, but if none of the console manufacturers are there, that would certainly hurt.

Before moving to Nintendo Direct formats, Nintendo held an in-person conference at E3 each year. However, even after moving to online presentations for fans instead, it did at least appear on the showfloor with playable games. Fans have also typically grown to expect a major Nintendo Direct event in June to coincide with E3.

IGN claims, via a source, that there have been “ongoing frustrations” with the ESA, with the site stating that the organization has “incredibly mishandled the E3 brand over the last three years.” The same source says multiple E3 organizers have left the ESA, “leaving a new group to sweep up after them” ReedPop, who has been brought on for E3 2023, has also been criticized for its handling of the event and how there’s “a lot of missing information” – including what the show will actually be like this year.

E3 2023 will take place between June 13 and June 16. The last two days will be E3 Gamer Days in which the public can attend.

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-reportedly-skipping-e3-2023-entirely/

And so it begins. Interesting to read that all three are apparently digging their heels in—looks like it's going to be a long way back for E3.

In other news, last night there was a Square-Enix livestream for Theatrhythm Final Bar Line which you can still catch up with and of course last week we had the SteamWorld Telegraph: Special Broadcast where Build was shown off. 

Spoiler

Some dates of note:

GDC 20-24th March
Summer Game Fest 8th June - ??
E3 13th-16th June
Gamescom 23-27th August
TGS 21-24th September

• Thanks 1

I mean, it makes sense. Tears of the Kingdom will be out by the time E3 is here. And their next console isn't happening until next year at the earliest.

State of Unreal is returning at this year's GDC on March 22nd for more of a look at what those wizards have been working on:

• Thanks 1

A new Capcom Spotlight arrives next week starting from 22:30 GMT on Thursday 9th March, with the pre-show starting at 22:10:

Feels like we're starting to hit our stride a bit with presentations now as everyone tries to squeeze them out before the end of the traditional financial year at the end of March :p

Think this is our first Not-E3 show to get a date?

The Starfield Direct will be taking place Sunday 11th June following the game's delay to September: 

47 minutes ago, Julius said:

Think this is our first Not-E3 show to get a date?

The Starfield Direct will be taking place Sunday 11th June following the game's delay to September: 

It's not just Starfield Direct, Microsoft also announced an Xbox Games Showcase happening that same day right before the Starfield Direct as well...

So they're basically going ahead with their usual E3 show at their usual time... just not at E3 itself.

I hope for Microsoft's sake that they have a killer second-half 2023 lineup of major 1st party exclusives, because the current drought is killing their console...

Edited by Dcubed

22 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It's not just Starfield Direct, Microsoft also announced an Xbox Games Showcase happening that same day right before the Starfield Direct as well...

So they're basically going ahead with their usual E3 show at their usual time... just not at E3 itself.

Yeah, late on a Sunday evening, perfect to doze off to :p kind of surprised they gave Bethesda a 10 minute spotlight for the trailer/delay/Direct announcement, but hey, fair enough! Probably the smart move

24 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I hope for Microsoft's sake that they have a killer second-half 2023 lineup of major 1st party exclusives, because the current drought is killing their console...

Always been the case for me that Xbox just needs to work on their curation, let alone their actual output (which has been...sparse, to put it kindly). It's all well and good buying up every other studio going, but if you don't space out their releases and end up with first-party droughts, and don't fill those droughts with must-play third-party AAA titles (with exclusivity, if you can get it)? I just can't personally find the desire to pick up a machine mainly for a legacy catalogue and indies, regardless of their quality, I need to be confident about what's coming. Right now I do still think Xbox are looked at, perhaps a bit unfairly, as still just being Halo/Forza/Gears (I'd argue +indies now too?) by the industry at large. Maybe Starfield is the start of that narrative changing, but at the same time, Bethesda have had some misses over the last few years and so the pressure is on, because you know that game is going to be coming in hot and a potential mess in need of fixing. 

Comparison is the thief of joy, as always, but I look at PlayStation and know that on the first-party front I can at least expect Spider-Man 2 by the end of this year, and I get Final Fantasy XVI in the next few months and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth within the next 12? 

And then I look at Nintendo. Does my Switch gather more dust than I ever thought it would? Honestly, yeah. But will I be buying whatever the Switch successor is on Day 1, knowing full well that Nintendo is going to crank out some must-play titles for it? Hell yes I will. 

I feel like Xbox promised a lot back in 2020 leading up to the launch of the Series X|S, and some 2½ years removed from it's launch, I think it's fair to say that they've struggled to live up to their promises. 

• Thanks 1

For anyone wanting to catch up. 

Featured Titles

• INAZUMA ELEVEN: Victory Road
  • DECAPOLICE
  • FANTASY LIFE i: The Girl Who Steals Time
  • MEGATON MUSASHI: WIRED
  • Professor Layton and the New World of Steam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And there it is…

https://www.ign.com/articles/e3-has-been-canceled?utm_source=twitter

Almost a year after announcing its return, the Entertainment Software Association announced today to its members that this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), has been canceled, IGN can confirm.

The event was supposed to be held from June 13th through June 26th at the Los Angeles Convention Center and would have been the first in-person E3 event since 2019.

Two sources have confirmed to IGN that the organization announced the cancellation via an email sent out to its members today. The email said that while E3 "remains a beloved event and brand" that the 2023 version "simply did not garner the sustained interest necessary to execute it in a way that would showcase the size, strength, and impact of our industry."

The ESA concludes the email by reiterating its commitment to advocacy work.

RIP E3 (1995-2023)

Edit: ESA Statement…

This was a difficult decision because of all the effort we and our partners put toward making this event happen, but we had to do what's right for the industry and what's right for E3. We appreciate and understand that interested companies wouldn't have playable demos ready and that resourcing challenges made being at E3 this summer an obstacle they couldn't overcome. For those who did commit to E3 2023, we're sorry we can't put on the showcase you deserve and that you've come to expect from ReedPop's event experiences.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 1

THQ Nordic announced their Digital Showcase yesterday, which will be taking place on 11th August:

Alone in the Dark, the recently announced Trine 5, and Outcast 2 have all been confirmed to be showing up. 

Oh, and also, The Game Awards are hosting a concert to commemorate their 10th anniversary at the Hollywood Bowl on 25th June:

Only two Japanese games listed in the rundown smh :nono:

More details on the Xbox Games Showcase and Starfield Direct have dropped (previously announced to be taking place Sunday 11th June) – Showcase starts at 18:00 BST, with the Starfield Direct immediately following. 

Xbox-Starfield-Direct-Hero-Image-37faabd

No surprises there considering that they've had that 10:00 PDT / 18:00 BST slot on a Sunday for a while now, then! 

Anyone else feeling this announcement timing being a bit suspicious? Right off the heels of Redfall's poor reviews in an attempt to distract? No? Just me?

35 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Anyone else feeling this announcement timing being a bit suspicious? Right off the heels of Redfall's poor reviews in an attempt to distract? No? Just me?

Hard to say.

On the one hand, I'm pretty sure it was around this time last year (late April/early May) that they confirmed their showcase details. 

On the other hand, it's a Wednesday. I could be wrong about this, and maybe it's just because I feel we rarely get random important news drops from Xbox in general, but thinking back I don't feel like they've given many updates on Wednesdays before. 

But either way: eh ::shrug: I'm not going to sit here and pretend I'm super interested in what's been going on with Redfall or what we'll see in terms of first party stuff from Xbox next month, so if that's what they're trying to do, it's falling on deaf ears in my case. 

We're looking at an unsurprisingly stacked list of devs and publishers for next month's Summer Game Fest:

Can't wait to catch the highlights :p

04:42 - Fashion Dreamer
09:44 - PROJECT MAGIA 1
2:06 - PROJECT LIFE is RPG
14:51 - STORY OF SEASONS
19:45 - Rune Factory
28:11 - DAEMON X MACHINA: Titanic Scion

• Thanks 1

Ryu Ga Gotoku (Yakuza/Like A Dragon, Judgment) have announced they will be a hosting their very own RGG Summit - Summer 2023 on Friday 16th June 2023 @ 12:00 JST (that's 04:00 BST for us Brits):

Gaiden is still scheduled for release this year, so surely we see some news on that, and with Like A Dragon 8 scheduled for next year, maybe we'll get a little something for that too? 

Capcom Showcase has been announced and will be taking place on 12th June 2023 (next Monday!) at 23:00 BST:

"Roughly 36 minutes" is very, very funny to me

(also hopefully they continue the trend from last year by improving on the previous year's show)

Friendly reminder that Summer Game Fest is tonight:

Don't think I'll be tuning in live, I didn't for The Game Awards last year – just seems a better use of my time to check out the highlights or tune in if I catch wind of anything major being shown off. 

Got to imagine we get a new Armored Core VI trailer with it coming in 2½ months, maybe some Death Stranding 2 (and maybe show the Kojima doc trailer here for the sake of it?), but other than that? I think Microsoft might have actually snagged some of the more spicier stuff this time around (such as a certain Persona, according to the rumours). Demos for AC and Final Fantasy XVI getting announced would be awesome, and the timing seems potentially right for those? 

Up until the Naughty Dog update on Factions a few weeks ago I would've hoped a little for that even after it wasn't at the PlayStation Showcase, just because of how they turned up last year with some concept art and some stuff for the show, but now...I don't know what Naughty Dog talks about this year to celebrate the 10th anniversary? Which is such a shame! 

But yeah, expectations are low outside of From and Kojima turning up in some capacity, as they're known to do for Keighley ::shrug:

I'll check it out at some point, depending how late I stay up I'll watch it live or the highlights. Does this have a 'main' live events or will they be spread out over some days? I found this on Wiki, I know XBOX will have their own event at some point (perhaps as part of this or separate?) but I don't know about the others, I've been in kind of a Nintendo bubble since the pandemic lol so not too sure on shows now that E3 is gone. 

2023[edit]

The fourth Summer Game Fest will take place in June 2023, as a combined digital and physical event for the first time, to be held on June 8 at the YouTube Theater in Los Angeles; a physical component was available to the press in 2022.[6]

The following companies will be featured:[24]

(Pleasantly) surprised to see Sandland getting a game, hope it’s decent.

Nintendo, Xbox and Bethesda will all be turning up to next month's Gamescom. 

Nintendo (per VGC):

Nintendo will attend Gamescom 2023 later this year, it's confirmed.

Following a claim from the event's organiser that a "major company," would return to the show, Koelnmesse and The German Games Industry Association have now confirmed that Nintendo will exhibit after a four-year absence.

[...]

"We are excited to announce that Nintendo will be exhibiting at Gamescom2023," organisers said. "Many more exhibitors will follow in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!"

Xbox and Bethesda:

This and Tokyo Game Show are starting to look real promising as things stand. Fingers crossed for some cool updates and announcements! 

Sign in to follow this