Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Your Gaming Diary 2023

Posted (edited)

Quick and dirty new thread for 2023.

My first game of the year:

Abzû

abzu-pc-spiel-steam-cover.jpg

Beautiful exploration game (similar to Journey - which is no surprise given it's from the same team). The music is exceptional, too.
Highly recommended if you want to wind down and relax.

And first Platinum of the year goes to:

Seasons after Fall

20230104185645.jpg

Enjoyed it, but it was a tad too long, in my opinion.

Started playing Devil May Cry 4 in preparation for the sequel which I should be able to pick up next week.
Also been playing Chasm on PSVita but man...it drags when you go for 100% completion. It's a pretty small Metroidvania, but even after a patch it received in 2020 which was supposed to improve backtracking, it's still tedious. This game will take me a while. Only playing 15-20 minutes per day (if at all) :D

Waiting for my mate to pick up his copy of Far Cry 6 so we can indulge in some good old co-op gaming.

Edit: Speaking of Far Cry 6. Did some stuff alone in order to unlock co-op and this happened:

Spoiler

:D

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Devil May Cry 4

60165_full.jpg

Oh boy, what an unfinished mess this is.

First the good:

• fighting baddies is awesome - it's Devil May Cry, so it's great :p
  • it doesn't look too bad considering its age
  • music is great

Now the bad:

• camera sucks ass - sometimes the walls become your greatest enemies because they block the view
  • the audio mix - dialogue is too quite, same goes for music (which sounds a bit weak, too - a shame because there are some cool tracks in this one)

And finally: The ugly, which I'm gonna put in spoilers because I'm gonna talk about the half-way point and the end.

Spoiler

After about half of the missions you switch characters, which is pretty cool, but also kinda sucks because you've just gotten used to playing as Nero and then Dante gets thrown into the mix.

What's so ugly about this? The fact that you backtrack through all previous missions as Dante. And no, dear devs, adding stuff like poison gas and occasional new enemies doesn't miraculously make this good. You also fight the same bosses again.

But that's not even the worst part. No no no. That is the final to last mission...you get to play a fucking dice board game (which you played once) a few times and every time you reach the goal you fight one of the bosses again.

:nono:

It's a one-and-done game for me, which is a shame as I've played the previous entries of the series a couple of times (except DMC2, since it's supposed to be complete and utter trash and I will never ever play it).

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

The Solitaire Conspiracy

20230107125123.jpg

A wonderful twist on the good old Solitaire mechanics.
The trophy list isn't too challenging, but the countdown mode was pretty intense. Didn't expect my heart to race this much during wave 14 :laughing:

Highly recommended, especially for the current price of 1.19€ :peace: (on PSN, not sure about other platforms)

Devil May Cry 5

UUnpHLJqLAIJX5HioswiPuAm.png

Almost perfect.

It's way better than its predecessor, but having to play as different characters and the fact that Dante's moveset changes slightly at a certain paint takes one point away. Whenever you start to feel comfortable with a character the game just says "nope, time for something else". Sure, that means variety, but in this case I'd have preferred just one character with an expanding arsenal of weapons and moves, not 3.

I really hope that the next game will focus on only one character, but given how this one ends it's highly unlikely.

Still, wonderful game and I'll keep my Vergil playthrough for some other time.

9 Monkeys of Shaolin

20230112150526.jpg

An ok side-scrolling beat 'em up. Nothing more, nothing less :p

Chase: Cold Case Investigations ~Distant Memories~ (3DS)

Chase_Cold_Case_Investigations_banner.jp

A download-only game that will be lost after March.  I got this for free years ago through My Nintendo, and I have to say that playing it now I'm so relieved I didn't pay anything for it!

It's an incredibly short visual novel crime mystery where you read a few short interviews between detectives and a few people involved in an explosion a few years prior.  Occasionally you choose an answer to a question, but getting them wrong isn't really punished as a 'Game Over' reverts you to the start of the conversation.

One short case later and that's it.  Where the likes of Phoenix Wright have enigmatic characters, the few here are really devoid of personality.  I despised the lead detective, who spends most of his time shutting down and insulting his colleague, belittling her with comments such as "idiot" and insulting her in front of others.

This was apparently made from some of the Hotel Dusk developers and you can see their fingerprints on it (despite appearances the detective is not Kyle Hyde!), and the writers clearly understand how to write a crime story, but the whole presentation of it and lack of gameplay makes this all feel like a one-hour pilot or a demo to try and create a larger game or series.  Why this was released as an actual game I'm not sure.  

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

adbbc970-1cbb-11ec-bdc7-543335690017

KIRBY AND THE FORGOTTEN LAND 

Bought this just after Christmas. I tried the demo when the game came out and liked it so thought I’d take the plunge. 

I’ve never really played a lot of Kirby games in the past. I played the drawing one on DS which I enjoyed, but that’s about it from memory. 
I enjoyed it, but do feel like the game really started to outstay it’s welcome towards the end. I got really fatigued seeing the same mini bosses (and main bosses) again and again and again and it really took the shine off some of the levels when yet again, I had the same boss thrown my way. 

The abilities were cool, but I had real issues with the games controls. I thought Kirby’s jump was practically pointless and felt very slow and lethargic. It didn’t really add anything to the game other than let you get back to a ledge if you fell off. But jumping was slow and the abilities Kirby had were often hampered by jumping. The dragon fire one, for example, you activate fire wings and can burst at high speed if you jump and press B. But sometimes I didn’t want to do that. And it often hurtled me off a ledge and knocked chunks off my health. It would have been better as you level the abilities up, to have a different button for the second ‘attack’. The bomb ability another good example. You can’t aim a bomb unless you’re stood still. So if you’re moving even the tiniest bit it’ll just throw a bomb in front. Infuriating. 

The levels were all pretty good, no complaints on the settings or level design. I liked some of the star levels but often found myself wanting to smash the controller up because of how annoying they were. :D  

There’s no way I will be going for a 100% file. I’ve just got to the last boss and done the two lion stages and then lo and behold here we are again with a third boss. Just fucking end already. 
I think I will give it another go and try to properly finish the game, but I’m pretty much done and feel I’ve seen all I need to. 

One thing I didn’t love is that the abilities (whilst able to be powered up) didn’t really add any additional game play elements. They just increased the power of Kirby’s attack, which was welcome later on, but I’d have liked to have seen more locked down paths in levels that needed specific improved abilities to open up. Alas never happened, so I often sought out the ability I enjoyed using the most rather than use whatever was available in the level. 

Sounds like I’m hating on the game, but I did enjoy it. I just found it a bit of a slog towards the end and a little bit devoid of ambition. 
Onto the next! 

• Thanks 1

On 15/01/2023 at 9:42 AM, WackerJr said:

the whole presentation of it and lack of gameplay makes this all feel like a one-hour pilot or a demo to try and create a larger game or series.

I felt the same way, back when I played it. It's a shame, I was actually enjoying the gritty crime drama with the rough detective, but it clearly wasn't a full game.

• Thanks 1

Ghost of Tsushima

FmhOO01XEAEqlgv?format=jpg&name=large

I loved to to the point that I explored the map to find everything. Combat was a lot of fun and the story was fun (even if some moments made no sense). The game looks absolutely beautiful and the setting is wonderful. 

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this