NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Are You Ready For Nintendo's Next Console?

The Verge has written a piece about how the Switch is now showing its age and this issue has let it down in 2022.

https://www.theverge.com/23473152/nintendo-switch-console-games-performance

The Nintendo Switch’s lousy performance is as enduring as the console itself. Grainy, stuttery graphics are synonymous with playing games on the 2017 system, which hasn’t gotten a spec upgrade to boost how games look and run. And in the five-plus years since the Switch was released, remarking on disappointing visuals has been a fixture in our reviews of the console’s best games. 

Continuing to sell the Nintendo Switch with its current specs is one of the biggest tech blunders of 2022 — not least because Nintendo’s inaction let other devices steal a sliver of the spotlight. 

If there was ever a perfect time to launch a meaningful hardware update to the Switch (aside from any time in the last two years), it’d be on May 12th, 2023, the day when The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will release. It’s the follow-up to the 2017 launch title The Breath of the Wild, a brilliant Zelda game that revealed all that the Switch was capable of — and not capable of — out of the gate.

Firstly, the Switch is still selling stupidly well and so I can see why Nintendo are in no rush to release its replacement. Secondly, the games that sell well on the Switch are Nintendo's own games and indie titles. Both of these generally don't tax the machine that much, with only Xenoblade and Pokemon having issues, although the latter is due to poor planning and lack of development time rather than the console not being up to scratch. 

So, would you be happy for Nintendo to put off a sequel to the Switch for another year or do you think 2023 is the time to release more powerful hardware? Furthermore, if it is just a more powerful Switch, would you upgrade or just stick with what you have?

I disagree with a lot of the article but I do agree that launching a new console alongside the new Zelda would be a cracking move. Maybe a reveal in a Feb Direct? I know Nintendo do a good job of reveals being very close to the release of a new product but would 3 months be enough to launch a new console? Probably not. I can't remember what the time frame was for the Switch reveal until its release.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I can't remember what the time frame was for the Switch reveal until its release.

It was about three months. I think it was technically unveiled in October but a teaser as much as anything (maybe focused on form factor), with the main showing in January. 

Would I like a new console? Yes. But I don't expect it. As you mention, Nintendo doesn't really have any incentives to release one at the moment and they have shown in the past they tend to leave consoles to die out slowly when they're popular. 

Plus we've not heard any rumours yet, which usually proceed an unveiling by about 6 months. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo start talking to developers towards the end of next year, but can't see anything coming soon. 

I'm ready for a new Nintendo console if they deliver better games with it.
Nintendo lost me with the Switch's output, so I will definitely wait a year or two before diving into their new console.

Regarding the console itself, I'd love to see simply a more powerful Switch. Is a neat device and kinda just needs more power and better ergonomics (and better Joy-Cons...). 

15 minutes ago, Ashley said:

As you mention, Nintendo doesn't really have any incentives to release one at the moment and they have shown in the past they tend to leave consoles to die out slowly when they're popular. 

I'm hoping they've learnt their lessons from this. There's certainly a lot to be said about launching a new console following good momentum of the previous one. Sony done this with PS3 to PS4 and PS4 to PS5 with great results. 

I think with both the Wii and Wii U the situations were a bit different. With the Switch, Nintendo still have some great games lined up for the next year (Metroid Prime 4, Zelda, Pikmin 4, Zelda, Kirby) not to mention strong support from 3rd parties and indie studios. Zelda alone will probably boost sales significantly. 

11 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Regarding the console itself, I'd love to see simply a more powerful Switch. Is a neat device and kinda just needs more power and better ergonomics (and better Joy-Cons...). 

They really need to sort out the Joy-Con issue but I'm not sure how they do this if the new console remains backwards compatible.

• Thanks 1

On 20/12/2022 at 2:48 PM, drahkon said:

I'm ready for a new Nintendo console if they deliver better games with it.

How nice to live in a world where nine exclusives in the space of the last 12 months all earning 81+ on Metacritic equates to Nintendo needing to deliver better games. 

2022:

Bayonetta 3: 86
Pokemon Arceus: 83 
Triangle Strategy: 83 
Kirby and the Forgotten Land: 85
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 89
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope: 86
Splatoon 3: 83
Fire Emblem Three Hopes: 81
Live A Live: 81

Edited by Ronnie

I am SO ready for new Nintendo hardware.  The current Switch is creaking at the seams at this point.

It's ridiculous that Nintendo have waited this long to announce a successor.  The Switch is just a few months shy off of being 6 YEARS OLD and still no sign of any successor hardware!! It's insane! No Nintendo console (outside of the original DMG Game Boy) has gone this long without a successor at least having being announced by this point in its lifecycle, and most Nintendo consoles had already been replaced by a successor console (not even announced! Released!!) by the 6 year mark (the only Nintendo consoles to go on for longer than 6 years before a replacement are the original DMG and the Famicom; and the Famicom only managed 7 years at that...).

If the Switch 2 ends up being a failure? It will be because Nintendo have waited too long to replace the hardware, allowing the "Switch" brand to rot and die off; just like what happened with the Wii-Wii U transition.

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

How nice to live in a world where nine exclusives in the space of the last 12 months all earning 81+ on Metacritic equates to Nintendo needing to deliver better games. 

2022:

Bayonetta 3: 86
Pokemon Arceus: 83 
Triangle Strategy: 83 
Kirby and the Forgotten Land: 85
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 89
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope: 86
Splatoon 3: 83
Fire Emblem Three Hopes: 81
Live A Live: 81

Look, while I agree with you that 2022 has been one of Switch's better years for games, Metacritic isn't that good of a barometer for game quality. Critic reviews and user reviews have been known for varying wildly at times.

Anyway, I'm honestly fine with Switch going on longer if good games keep coming out. I couldn't give a toss about resolution, and I'm not that sensitive to frame rate issues. I've just finished Bayo 3, and I couldn't notice any, except for one in the opening cutscene.

I doubt I can afford a new console now anyway.

28 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Look, while I agree with you that 2022 has been one of Switch's better years for games, Metacritic isn't that good of a barometer for game quality. Critic reviews and user reviews have been known for varying wildly at times.

It's as good a barometer of general consensus as you'll find. Forget the 100 point scale, all of those games, bar none, are widely considered great. That was my point.

Edited by Ronnie

I am not ready for a new console. The Switch feels like it's barely started, and has so far been the most disappointing Nintendo console for me. 

The only Switch game I played this year was Return to Monkey Island, which I would have played on Xbox if I was at home. I played more mobile games than Switch games while at the hospital.

Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion are pretty much the major Switch games for me.

But great/good/etc are subjective. He wants "better" (exclusive) games from his perspective of what he likes/wants. He didn't say "there's no great and/or well received games". He's just got very specific interests and tastes and the Switch hasn't delivered that for him. 

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I couldn't give a toss about resolution, and I'm not that sensitive to frame rate issues. I've just finished Bayo 3, and I couldn't notice any, except for one in the opening cutscene.

I'm a bit like this. I mean, I played Pokemon Violet and The Last of Us Part I pretty much back to back and Pokemon was the game I had more fun with, even if it was a technical and visual mess in comparison. 

To be honest, I think the industry would do well to slam the brakes on pushing for high end graphics and just make do with what we've got. Just like Iwata was getting at years ago when the Wii was launched. Games that are made with the hardware in mind usually end up looking amazing anyway. For example, Luigi's Mansion 3 is one of the best looking game this generation has produced and it's a Switch exclusive. Octopath is another game that I think is visually amazing but it didn't require a beast of a machine to run. Sure, games like Xenoblade could do with a little more power under the bonnet but the strong gameplay loop and narratives easily make up for any visual shortcomings. 

I'm someone who still enjoys playing on his 3DS. So, yeah, basic graphics and lower resolutions don't really bother me.

• Thanks 1

I said about the switch showing it's age in the Pokémon thread a few weeks ago and I still stand by that the console is now getting too long in the tooth. 

I have hardly touched mine in months. None of the games released this year have appealed to me in the slightest. 

The last good game I played was Metroid Dread which was over a year ago. 

I think they could have even benefited from a mid life refresh with more power but they've continued to be stubborn. Then again, as others have said, why wouldn't they when it's still selling like it is. 

These days I generally prefer playing on other consoles. 

Am I ready for Nintendo’s next console?

Yes… and no.

Yes, because a new Nintendo console should finally bring about some brand new Nintendo games that will hopefully appeal to me. Seriously, it feels like ages since I’ve been excited for something from them, were it not for the upcoming Zelda TotK it’s almost as if they’ve ceased to exist. ::shrug:

No, because even though I’d obviously love to play some original stuff from Nintendo again, I’m currently very happy gaming on PC and have such a massive amount of games (past, present and future) to enjoy on there that I’m not exactly thrilled at the idea of having to fork out for a new console (and no doubt re-subscribe to Nintendo’s extortive online “service”) purely to play a handful of exclusives. :hmm:

Unless they really knock it out of the park with their lineup for the Switch successor it could even end up being the very first time I don’t buy one of their systems at launch! :eek:

17 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

To be honest, I think the industry would do well to slam the brakes on pushing for high end graphics and just make do with what we've got. Just like Iwata was getting at years ago when the Wii was launched. Games that are made with the hardware in mind usually end up looking amazing anyway. For example, Luigi's Mansion 3 is one of the best looking game this generation has produced and it's a Switch exclusive. Octopath is another game that I think is visually amazing but it didn't require a beast of a machine to run. Sure, games like Xenoblade could do with a little more power under the bonnet but the strong gameplay loop and narratives easily make up for any visual shortcomings. 

Yep, I agree. And the more time I spend gaming on PC the more it’s  actually made me realise that the sweet spot for resolution/performance should probably be 1080p/60fps! :o 

I know a lot of people that are massively into the high-end gaming scene will disagree with that (and then some :hehe:) but the fact is, unless you’re using a ginormous monitor or TV, 4K is complete overkill and something that absolutely tanks performance for a negligible benefit. Stuff like DLSS certainly helps, but not every game utilises it and some actually use it really poorly.

And while insanely high frame rates are a nice thing to have, 60 is definitely smooth enough. The difference between 30 and 60 is way more noticeable than when you increase from 60. Perhaps it’s a bit more of a subjective thing, but for me personally, I struggle to see as much of a difference at above 60fps. :hmm:

I think ray tracing and other features that noticeably enhance visuals are a more worthwhile pursuit but they’re also very demanding on hardware, so attempting those kind of things while simultaneously pursuing high resolutions and frame rates is definitely pushing things too far too quickly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That's a strange article. I feel like these things always wheel out the same poorly performing games and mandate that the next machine come along and smooth everything out. Sure the Switch had bother with the NSO N64 games and those should in no way be taxing modern hardware! So as was done there, I think a lot of the Switch's woes could be solved with a bit of work in the optimisation department and better planning to reign in the scope of those bigger moments that make performance chug. Because even on the next generation of Nintendo hardware, developers will keep taking the piss. Reviewers and commenters do a poor job of drawing a line and saying here's how much the machine is capable of and here are the areas in which games are not properly built for it. The same issues are going to crop up next time around–new hardware is not a cure-all.

Personally, I wouldn't like to see a new machine with the new Zelda because I don't like seeing Zelda used like that. :( 

Am I ready for Nintendo's next console? Err, the tech inferiority doesn't massively bother me. I've had some goes on souped-up PCs and nextgen consoles but otherwise the Switch is as far as I've been so maybe if I was coming "back" to it my eyes would likely be bleeding out of my skull too. I notice jaggy edges here and there and think "that's a pity" and my eyes get used to it. Load times peeve me more I reckon. I honestly think games are just churned out with little to no care. Games that could have almost been on the SNES or GBA are making me sit through loading screens! Feels like we've gone miles backwards in this regard. And slow down? Man, I kind of like it because I still equate it to the console being pushed to its limits. It's very possible I haven't played the worst performance offenders though... because I do have standards. ;) Granted, a successor with a spec bump and everything that comes with it would be nice but only if I can take eShop purchases forward and the thing has a game card slot built in. Even if it has to be relegated to the dock itself, because I've far too much unfinished business on Switch that I don't need to be an early adopter next time at all. 

On 20/12/2022 at 3:12 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

They really need to sort out the Joy-Con issue but I'm not sure how they do this if the new console remains backwards compatible.

I don't think games are made now with drift in mind you know. :heh: I would love to get into the handheld aspect again and enjoy games in all their driftless glory.

On 22/12/2022 at 1:36 PM, Ronnie said:

I think Nintendo has been doing a great job with their consistent release schedule yet I find myself passing on more and more of their stuff these days. I think they've settled into a safe zone. ::shrug: 

On 22/12/2022 at 1:45 PM, Dcubed said:

If the Switch 2 ends up being a failure? It will be because Nintendo have waited too long to replace the hardware, allowing the "Switch" brand to rot and die off; just like what happened with the Wii-Wii U transition.

They lost me with the Wii U on the muddy reveal, unclear follow-up information, no killer apps. And unlike with the 3DS, they couldn't salvage it. Nothing to do with the Wii branding. I can only hope they've learned from this and with Reggie gone, I'm sure they won't make the same mistake twice.

• Like 2

I absolutely think there should be a new Switch soon.  Sales-wise it’s still excellent, which is obviously good.  While there have been some strong games this year and ones that have used the Switch’s capabilities to its fullest, I am finding more and more that are struggling on the Switch hardware.

The obvious recent titles notwithstanding, I’m finding a great disparity now with the multi-platform games.  I understand that graphically it’s hard to compare, but when performance and gameplay is becoming an issue that’s where it gets frustrating.  Tunic did well at hiding it’s graphical differences, despite longer load times, we’ve seen Sonic Frontiers’ differences, but even things like the Two Point games which look good, have had to reduce gameplay elements (such as maximum number of buildings) to compromise.

I love the portability of the Switch, and if the differences are minor then I’d usually opt for the portability of the Switch version.  As these differences get larger it’s making the argument to get the Switch version harder.

I also worry about Zelda: TotK as I desperately hope that the Switch hardware doesn’t stop this becoming as amazing a game as it should be.

Finally, a fresh start to the eShop! Please!  There is so much rubbish on there now it’s increasingly difficult to navigate.  At least a new Switch would be a fresh start.  Even if the current games still work, at least they could be filtered out, or Switch-specific could have their own section or app on the new machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

Finally, a fresh start to the eShop! Please!  There is so much rubbish on there now it’s increasingly difficult to navigate.  At least a new Switch would be a fresh start.  Even if the current games still work, at least they could be filtered out, or Switch-specific could have their own section or app on the new machine.

Yeah, I'm hoping Nintendo do something about it with their new console. Sony have recently implemented something to stop or reduce shovelware on their storefront and it would be great to see the others do the same. Maybe if there wasn't as much garbage on there the store would run a bit better. It's been terribly slow for a while now and they've never done anything about it. I think most people just use DekuDeals if they want to have a browse because the eShop is far too slow.

• Thanks 2

Yes, Switch absolutely needed a Pro model to tide the generation over, or a Switch 2 sooner. It felt very outdated even a year after launch and recent standards that we've come to expect (HDR, 60 FPS, 4K, SSDs) are usually sorely absent with Switch and very noticeable. I would literally never buy a multiplatform game on Switch as it's a significantly lesser experience than the current gen models. Also I would never pay for Switch online being as feature lacking as it is, so there's that too.

Switch may continue to sell well but there is extra money to be made that Nintendo are missing out on. People are showing with the popularity of the PS5, XSX and Steam deck that they are willing to pay a good amount for the latest spec.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chip shortage. The last couple of years were not the right time to release a new or updated console.

Chip shortage. The last couple of years were not the right time to release a new or updated console.

Tell that to Valve with the Steam Deck, which has done pretty well for itself, all things considered.

Also, Nintendo continue to produce consoles which have chips, and they use a different manufacturer to Sony and Microsoft for their chips (and likely will for Switch 2), so that's not really a reason not to release a Switch Pro or 2.

They could have done a more expensive Switch Pro which wouldn't need as many units manufacturing as it would only be targeted at the more core users willing to spend more.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Tell that to Valve with the Steam Deck, which has done pretty well for itself, all things considered.

Released in February, hit the 1 million sold mark in October?

6 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Also, Nintendo continue to produce consoles which have chips, and they use a different manufacturer to Sony and Microsoft for their chips (and likely will for Switch 2), so that's not really a reason not to release a Switch Pro or 2.

They've commented many times that manufacturing issues have caused Switch sales to dip and sales targets to be cut. I suspect the OLED model was supposed to be a Pro but they decided to pivot late in the game. 

Edited by Ronnie

They've still managed to produce and sell a lot of Switches though, haven't they?

Also Steam Deck has done well for what it is. A Switch Pro also wouldn't need to sell to too many people what with it being targeted at bigger spenders.

According to a recent Digital Foundry podcast there was a planned Switch Pro ("mid lifecycle refresh") but it seems now work is going towards the next console instead. 

Watching a GameXplain podcast where they're discussing it and one of them had a good point as to whether to expect a Switch 2 next year; would Nintendo really release Zelda and then not even give it a Christmas? (Unless there's backwards compatibility) 

With that in mind I don't even see them teasing/announcing it until 2024 so as not to overshadow the console next Christmas, other than maybe vague "we work on new consoles continuously but cannot confirm anything" kind of messages during 2023. 

I imagine Tears of the Kingdom will get a Switch 2 enhanced port when that console releases, but I fully expect that a new 3D Mario will launch with Switch 2 when it launches in 2024. Can't see anything else being a system seller. 

I'm not a fan of mid-gen hardware updates (that boost actual performance at least) so I'm not fussed about there not being a Pro, it seems pretty late in the game for that now anyway.

10 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

but I fully expect that a new 3D Mario will launch with Switch 2 when it launches in 2024. Can't see anything else being a system seller. 

Yeah, I think they realised that having the best launch year of any console ever, software-wise, pays dividends.

We're definitely at the end of the Switch's life but we're still getting really solid games.  Up until 2022 I was using it for playing pretty much any game in it's portable form but the Steam Deck has taken that away from it for me.  But that doesn't stop it being an amazing machine on the first party output alone and it's still probably my most used gaming device.

The theoretical Switch Pro wouldn't have helped with Pokemon Scarlet/Violet's performance issues.  If you overclock (more accurately: remove the underclock. Which is what the rumour was) the Switch, the performance issues remain.  That game's issues stem from the engine itself.  This wouldn't have entirely gone away even with a much more powerful machine to brute force it.

Either way I'm past wanting a Switch Pro now, that ship sailed in 2021.  Do I want a Switch 2?  I guess yes but it does make me sad that it'll likely be a straight forward successor rather than something game changing.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this