NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Indie World Christmas Event (19th-23rd Dec)

Gotta imagine Sports Story will drop during one of these.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

This is great. I'll just be getting Sports Story like but I love getting a look at these indies every time there's a video. :santa: 

Another strong showing today. That gecko looks fun to move around and Punchuin looks like something they could build a Shovel Knight sort of series out of... or let it vanish like Henry Hatsworth. 

Yeah another great set of games. I'd be keen to play all of them tbh. The Punchuin looks good fun, and Shin'en have proven their pedigree.

Defo interested in The Punchuin, looks really fun! It's also the kind of game you wouldn't have expected from Shin'en (Think the last 2D pixel art game they did was Iridion 2 back on the GBA!).

Yes for Sports Story! A great finale & lovely surprise!  (Ok a surprise for me, sounds like everyone else predicted it! 😄) Can’t wait to try this one. 

Edited by WackerJr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some brilliant looking games over the last five days. Well done to Nintendo for continuing to promote indies, and more importantly promote them well.

Downloading Sports Story now. (Melatonin next)

• Like 1

Did the opening beach area in Sports Story. Took about an hour which I feel must be well over the odds. :o You don't realise how much you've come to depend on quest/ activity markers until they aren't there. :laughing: Then I was totally stumped on how to use the orange card when I eventually got one... I won't mention what did the trick so @WackerJr and @Ronnie can do the same head-scratching I did! (In the end, I fluked it.) Game seems good. Having a run button but no d-pad movement is a weird one, as is the way the camera jumps to whoever speech bubble it is—definitely didn't expect that to make it over from Golf Story. In the hotel, it said "1 left" on the ice but I was able to keep buying. So I did. Maybe it'll be useful at some point. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Did the opening beach area in Sports Story.

Keep them impressions coming :peace: 

I hated Golf Story because it was tedious and repetitive as hell. Let me know if Sports Story is better in that regard. :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Keep them impressions coming :peace: 

I hated Golf Story because it was tedious and repetitive as hell. Let me know if Sports Story is better in that regard. :D 

Yeah, I couldn't get into it either. I actually fired it up again this week in preparation for Sports Story but the game just doesn't grab me. The controls and pretty weird on it as well.

Reading impressions on Era and it seems a mixed bag. Some are loving it and others are disappointed. A fair few tech issues are doing the rounds. Seems like they pushed the game out just for Christmas.

Guess people who are buying the game early are doing the QA job for the developers? :p 

Loving it so far. Brilliant charm just like the original. Only played a little bit though. 

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I couldn't get into it either. I actually fired it up again this week in preparation for Sports Story but the game just doesn't grab me. The controls and pretty weird on it as well.

Reading impressions on Era and it seems a mixed bag. Some are loving it and others are disappointed. A fair few tech issues are doing the rounds. Seems like they pushed the game out just for Christmas.

Guess people who are buying the game early are doing the QA job for the developers? :p 

I'm looking forward to seeing if they've incorporated things like being able to pan the camera up the course when you're lining up your golf stroke, and hopefully, the other less intuitive aspects of Golf Story have been addressed too. But going by the "difficulties" I had with the orange card, this one's going to have its quirks.

You'd think they'd have had ample time to iron out the "indie bugs" from the Golf Story foundation and any new kinks that came up along the way because Sports Story's hardly been rushed out the door—been waiting years for it! I'd like to think it's not too bad but it must be bad enough if they've had to put out a statement on it. :blank: 

8 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

How's Sports Story going for you, @WackerJr and @Ronnie? Have you got to a round of golf or any sports yet?

Buyers regret a little tbh, there are a ton of bugs and the whole thing is lacking a lot of polish, even from the opening cutscene. Also not sure what they were thinking filling the game with constant fetch quests, takes hours to get to an actual round of golf. So yeah, a very different experience from the original, and definitely not in a good way sadly.

There's a way to out of bounds yourself into a developers' room (like meeting the Dream Team in one of the endings in Chrono Trigger) that's otherwise not accessible via conventional means.

July 27, 2013: /r/n64. The last time you blew on your carts ...

Anyone been able to reproduce this? Doesn't seem too hard but I just can't seem to get the box into the right position because either when I reenter I'm not far enough behind it or the game knows to put me past it. Will probably try again because it's by no means a trek to that shop.

uc?export=view&id=1ECHGbyL5qk3U5bJHwIudX

Got a slybeak frozen in flight there. :laughing: There was a drawer I could seemingly get infinite 10% off coupons from but after getting up to 99 it cycled back to 1 again in my inventory, then later when I checked my items I had like 11 of them so it seems like the game was keeping track. Other than that, still waiting for the game to fall apart at the seams. ::shrug: My main problem with it is that it's front-loaded with quests rather than sports.

I got my first round of golf in. Sadly it was only 7 holes but I'll take what I can get! Good news is that by pressing R you get an overhead view now. :yay: This is something that was sorely missing in Golf Story. 

On 29/12/2022 at 7:18 PM, Ronnie said:

Buyers regret a little tbh, there are a ton of bugs and the whole thing is lacking a lot of polish, even from the opening cutscene. Also not sure what they were thinking filling the game with constant fetch quests, takes hours to get to an actual round of golf. So yeah, a very different experience from the original, and definitely not in a good way sadly.

Yeah, I agree. There's bigger problems here than can be sorted with a performance patch. I did far too much running around talking, figuring things out, trading items and doing quests than was necessary before getting that first round of golf with Lara. Thankfully there's only one thing on my quest list at the moment... not looking forward to populating it again. At least I should be able to replay that first course any time now, fingers crossed. I definitely think they could have ordered/ paced the opening different to get you into the sports tournaments first and build the questing around that.

Sports Story Patch Notes

Version 1.0.3 (Not Yet Available)

Misc
Various efforts were made related to golfing, general performance, getting stuck and misc challenges. For more specific problems that might have trapped you, see below. If your issue is not listed, feel free to email [email protected]

Tennis Academy
Speaking to the receptionist a second time after starting the baby court task will reset your progress but advance your mission. After downloading the patch, speak to the receptionist again to fix your quest progress.

Hitting the gong twice in a row can advance your mission progress. After downloading the patch, hit the gong again to fix your progress (unless you have already continued playing after this point).

A clue can be looted through the fence in the basement, meaning it will not be there when you need it later. After downloading the patch the clue will return when you need it.

The challenge on the left side will give a punch card now.

The baby tennis match should be less confusing.

Impressing Kelley Gibbon
Leaving and returning would make Kelley's challenge starter disappear. After downloading the patch, speak to him again to get the challenge to reappear.

Returning to the Dark Whispers
This isn't a bug but people have become stuck returning to the place where Cap breaks the bridge when the Perpetrator shows up. To escape, return through the previous rooms and push the coffee machine out of the way from the left side.

Catching Bees
Sometimes there were not enough bees entering the hive when trying to catch them. People with this issue will be able to proceed by waiting a certain amount of time during the challenge.

Chase Trade
Chase will not accept the offering trade if you don't have more than $3 in your possession. This will be fixed in the patch, but it's possible to get past in the meantime by making sure you have the cash.

Silver Mines Return
Returning to the Silver Mines on the mine cart could cause you to become stuck.

https://sidebargames.com/PatchNotes_SS_03.html

Patch incoming! Haven't been afflicted by any of that but hopefully it smooths things out for others. Funniest thing I've seen is a minecart returning to its starting point as the crow flies, ignoring the tracks entirely. I walked through a wall that I later exploded too. Thought I'd found a secret then when I went on to blow the path up I knew better. Other than that, the number of items left counters don't go down on things, allowing me to buy what I assume is a lot, and there are so many times when I can just keep "checking" something to pick up multiple. Think I lost a tennis point on a ball that was not up but no replays so...

...but if I hit one long, it comes trundling off the back wall and the CPU pops it over and get's awarded two points... I don't think a replay is needed to know that one was a home town call. :laughing: 

You Cannot Be Serious GIFs | Tenor

8 hours ago, darksnowman said:
Anyone been able to reproduce this? Doesn't seem too hard but I just can't seem to get the box into the right position because either when I reenter I'm not far enough behind it or the game knows to put me past it. Will probably try again because it's by no means a trek to that shop.

Sadly it was only 7 holes but I'll take what I can get! Good news is that by pressing R you get an overhead view now. 

These comments aged well. The shop upgraded so I can't try that glitch anymore and I've had my one and only crash on hole 3 or 4 of the Britannia course when I pressed R to check the overhead. :woops: 

There's 16 holes of golf available to me now and I'm currently putting myself through tennis school. I can't tell if there's the bones of a good tennis game in there or not because the camera's set to follow the ball instead of keeping the players in frame which gives it an unnatural feel. Can't get any angle on shots but you'd like to think that's something that'll come through levelling...? Early impressions are that a drop shot will win almost every point. Similarly disappointed with the cricket so far–it's just you trying to hit balls that come flying up the screen. As long as you make contact it's a job well done. No runs to worry about. Would love to see some proper matches and competitions but I'm ~8 hours in now and need to be realistic with my expectations. I can go to another area and start questing through it, so at least there are options. The travelling scene looked so cheap because the train wheels were not animated. :blank: 

The monster mini golf has probably been the best thing in it...? That's the kind of thing I'm here for. At least the tennis academy had a variety of drills to go through... which should be the absolute bare minimum of what this game has you doing. Sadly however, it just has you running through a story with some sporting tasks tacted on and if they think I care about the story... Reading it in an Aussie accent helps. You can at least imagine how they would have thought all this bonkers stuff would be hilarious. For me, the gamer, the story just needs to be decent enough to get me rising through the ranks in each sport. Just pepper in the comedy and it'll be memorable. Same for the quests—less can be more if they're good and cohesive. Pity they've gone the throw the spaghetti at the wall route then. :(

Sign in to follow this