NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Rate Your 2022

The year is nearly over so let's see how it went. 

Will leave this pretty open ended in terms of what you discuss, but maybe if people are particularly interested in reflecting on media for the year (film, TV etc) start new threads for it. We could always do with more of those!

Mine really feels like it can be split into three; the first half was relatively uneventful, summer was awful and then the end I've been trying to make changes. 

The year started with the departure of my PT who had been an anchor of sorts as the first friend I made when I moved here. At the start of the year I had decided I wanted to leave this country and was speaking to lawyers about visas but then ultimately realised I might be able to get one, but it would have to be doing the work I was doing at the time which I didn't like so I paused that. 

Then jubilee weekend my mom moved house so we helped out 3 of those 4 days. A week later her husband died. A week after that my nan was rushed (if you can count 5 hours waiting for an ambulance as such) to hospital and then spent the final 3 weeks of her life there. During that time I was going back and forth a fair bit (about a 40 minute train ride) and was with her when she passed. We then had those funerals about a month apart, one on one of those 40⁰ days and another when it was also very hot. Understandably a lot of time and effort was then given to try and help my mom through all of this. 

In the tail end of the year I left my job and I've been retraining to become a personal trainer and hoping to qualify before Christmas (need to submit some coursework today). The original plan was to open a gym with my new PT and his business partner but they've decided to get office jobs (that's two PTs I've lost in a year) so that's off but still making plans for next year... But that's for another time.

So another year where things didn't quite go to plan. 2020 I was supposed to travel round the world for a year (lasted 17 days), 2021 felt like treading water and now this. But I think I'm ending it in a more optimistic place than starting. 

• Like 1

2022 was the year I met the best girlfriend I've ever had, so I'm very grateful for that. Life has been lovely with her nearby, and most new things in my social life were due to meeting her.

It was also the year my family finally fixed several problems at home, so I'm relieved. Also, my workplace saw a shake-up after almost a year of stagnation. I'd say that's a positive.

All things considered, this felt like a normal year, but there was massive improvement in several areas of my life. Thinking about it, this is basically what an ideal year is supposed to look like, and it's kind of wild that I hadn't quite noticed up until now.

• Like 2

A very life changing year for me.

Started off with buying a house, then the arrival of Ollie and his heart issues. We spent a total of around 2 months in the hospital with him.

But it's been worth it as he's amazing.

• Like 2

Life in 2022 has been wild for me. Reading your responses, I'm thrilled for large parts of your lives <3 

We'd finally started to settle into our house this year, really started decorating and it finally feels like ours. With all the ups and downs of fixing it, changing it, it's just lovely to drive to it and know its ours. I hope to never get over that feeling.

Work has been interesting too, I got promoted again! Took on line management fully which has been scary and fascinating in equal parts. I adore all of the members of my team, though I wish I could do more. 

On the same hand work weren't as good as I hoped about sick leave, it ended up being a whole mess I'm still trying to recover from, but they were at least understanding of how sick I am and have given me time, even if its unpaid.

Health wise, well I did finally get my surgery, three years later. To then find out I had a complication so rare it's less than 1%. I'll need my ureter reconstructing and that's a whole thing for 2023. But I'll figure it out eventually. I also really discovered who will be there for you when you really need and sometimes that might not even be your parents. 

Otherwise, I spent time with my wonderful husband, really bonded with some new friends, bought all the things I wanted, went on holiday to Romania and really tried to enjoy everything outside of my health. I'm really proud of this year even if we're not quite 100% yet, but I know I can get through it. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this