NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

PDC World Darts Championship - 2023

A little early, but I'm already excited :D 

On Thursday, 15th of December, the Ally Pally will be host to the PDC World Darts Championship yet again.
Crazy costumes, incredible atmosphere, Chase the Sun and darts on the highest level.

Michael "Bully Boy" Smith enters the tournament as one of the favourites having recently won the Grand Slam of Darts. But as always, Michael "Mighty Mike" van Gerwen is in excellent form. Not to mention the other top players of the PDC Order of Merit.
Gerwyn "Iceman" Price, Peter "Snakebite" Wright, Luke "Cool Hand Luke" Humphries. All players who could win it all.

And then there are the newcomers, most importantly Josh "Rocky" Rock who, at a young age of 21, is all the rage these days. He managed a 9-darter against MvG a few weeks ago. Even though he still lost, it was one of the best matches in history. What can he achieve in the biggest darts tournament?

As a German I, of course, will root for the three contestants from my country:

• Gabriel "German Giant" Clemens - currently the best German darts player
  • Martin "The Wall" Schindler - not far behind Clemens
  • Florian Hempel - has talent but needs to prove himself more (and finally get a nickname :p)

@killthenet, ready to be the only one besides me to post here? :D This year, I'll have no work to do during the tourney so I'll most likely be able to watch it all (aside from a few nights of real life socializing).

Edited by drahkon

11 hours ago, drahkon said:

killthenet, ready to be the only one besides me to post here? :D

Ha ha! I proved you wrong out of nothing but pure spite!

Edited by Glen-i

You should give the darts a chance at least @Glen-i - it's the best thing about the Xmas season! 

As ever I'm really looking forward to the start of the World Championships, as you highlighted in your post there are lots of interesting narratives this year that will add intrigue from the very first session. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how Josh Rock and Beau Greaves perform on their debuts but first and foremost I'll be supporting Michael Smith, hoping he can follow up that long awaited first major by clinching the biggest prize there is. 

Besides the German's who are your outside picks for a good run in the championships @drahkon? I think Alan Soutar is likely to back up his good performance at the Grand Slam and I wouldn't be surprised to see RVB upset Price again in the third round. 

MVG is certainly the man to beat, the form he's been in this year he's going to take some stopping, but the field is so strong these days that it's hard to predict how it's actually going to pan out. 

Anyway, can't wait for it to start - roll on Thursday!

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

You should give the darts a chance at least @Glen-i - it's the best thing about the Xmas season! 

Oh, I've never been one for spectator sports. But don't let me stop you having a dedicated thread. I just wanted a giggle.

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

Besides the German's who are your outside picks for a good run in the championships @drahkon?

I'm gonna go with Ricky Evans. I love his speed and I think he's good for a few upsets :D 

2 hours ago, killthenet said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see RVB upset Price again

Every night I dream of Price getting eliminated. :p Hate that man. 

Ohhh boy, Wright vs Mansell was rough. :blank: 

Sampson with a bit of an upset. Was very happy for him :D 
Rafferty with a similar upset.

Interesting first session.

Wright has to improve. Granted, Mansell played pretty poorly, but it was still not a great performance by Snakebite.

Yeah, Wright v Mansell was a bit of a slog - he'll definitely improve in the next round but he wasn't pushed at all last night, didn't even have to get out of first gear. 

The tournament hasn't really sparked to life yet, besides Keane Barry losing I wouldn't say there have been any real surprises and that second session was full of one sided matches.

Hopefully tonight is a bit more exciting!

4 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Hopefully tonight is a bit more exciting!

It'll be exciting for me as Florian Hempel will enter the stage :D 

5 minutes ago, killthenet said:

that second session was full of one sided matches.

3:0 all the way!

Didn't get to see Hempel's win but I'm glad you've got more representation in the second round.

The quality has definitely picked up over the last few nights, there have been some cracking games and even the ones with lower averages have been thoroughly entertaining contests on the whole. Favourite match so far was probably Williams v Joyce on Sunday night, they were both on top form so you have to feel sorry for Joyce, putting in the highest average of the championships and still not getting through to the next round. 

Fingers crossed Fallon can put in a good performance tomorrow night, she hasn't been in great form all year but she seems to love the big stage and will have to be on it to get past Ricky Evans - hopefully it's another entertaining match.

On 12/11/2022 at 7:26 PM, killthenet said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see RVB upset Price again in the third round. 

Fingers crossed :D 

On 20/12/2022 at 1:09 AM, killthenet said:

Fingers crossed Fallon can put in a good performance tomorrow night

Check.

she hasn't been in great form all year but she seems to love the big stage and will have to be on it to get past Ricky Evans 

She hasn't, she does, she will.

hopefully it's another entertaining match.

It was!

Nailed everything. Unfortunate that Sherrock let Evans off the hook big time. 

@darksnowman I'm glad she played well, that's the best I've seen her play for a while, it's just gutting that she couldn't hit her doubles when she needed to - she really should have won.

Rydz v Rock this afternoon wasn't the barnstormer we hoped it would be, Rydz wasn't really on it at all so Rock didn't have to raise his level much to beat him. I don't think he'll get past Aspinall playing the way he has so far but I'd be surprised if he doesn't add a few points to his average in the next round so that one could be a classic. 

Clemens was fantastic just now against Willie O'Connor - that 132 was ridiculous.

:(

You gotta punish those mistakes...a win was definitely within the realm of possibilities...

Edited by drahkon

Christmas break is over and I'm ready for darts again :D 

Fingers crossed for Clemens tonight. 
And of course for Barney. Kick that son of a gun out of the tournament...please :p 

Unbelievable.
I'm still shaking. What a comeback :D 

Williams was stupidly good but Clemens managed to fight back and win this. Incredible :bowdown: 

I was sure that Williams had done him when he was 2-0 up in the 6th set but Clemens was phenomenal from then on, hauling himself out of trouble - the fact that Williams only had one dart for the match was a testament to Clemens clutch darts.

Didn't expect that to be such a classic, what a great start to the night!

Magnificent Mensur - never expected a performance like that from him! Shame he trailed off towards the end, he deserved to take it to a deciding set but hopefully it can be a springboard back towards the top next year. 

I know you'll be rooting for Schindler in the next match but I'm really hoping he won't end Michael Smith's championships tonight - I would love for the Bully Boy to go on and take the title this year

Devastating :(
Happy for Bully Boy but Schindler had his chances.

Still, he can be very proud. :peace:

Edited by drahkon

As much as I wanted Michael Smith to win, it's hard not to feel sorry for Schindler - when he was 3-1 up I thought that was game over, can't believe he didn't even get a dart to win it.

Crazy night of darts, the championships is well and truly in full swing now - more of the same please!

Sign in to follow this