NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Just completed NG++ and got the third ending, and all I can say is: wooooooooooow. 

Love the approach they took to the other endings in this. Obviously it's down to the game being mission-based, but when the paths diverge on subsequent playthroughs, they REALLY diverge, and that means a whole host of new missions and so much more context. 

That final boss fight had me grinning from ear to ear :D beat it first time, too!

All that remains for my Plat is to get the rest of the collectibles (through replaying the NG and NG+ missions for Chapter 5), and then it will be a case of getting S-Ranks, and that'll be that. 

I'll make a longer post with more cohesive thoughts on, and videos of, my time with NG+ and NG++ once it's all wrapped up, but yeah...hell of a game! :bouncy:

• Like 1

Me and my friends weren't in the mood for BG3 tonight, so all ended up doing our own things. One of my friends ended up on AC VI and the next mission he had to do ended in Balteus, so him not knowing this, I asked if I could watch him via Share Screen. He hasn't played a From game before this, and while very different from their other offerings, I think the customisation and mechs is exactly why he was willing to pick it up after my recommendation. 

Took him a while, long enough for me to redownload the game and beat it with my NG+/NG++-clearing build, and then again with the build I used the first time around, both on my first attempt. As he was having trouble and another friend was watching I had them watch me beat the fight - no pressure, right? - and I beat it first time again, and shared a bunch of tips with them, and showcased how aggressive and in-your-face fighting just seemed to work out better. 

He then did it on his next attempt, so I'm pretty proud of him :D

So, just bumping this to give the game some more love. I ended up getting the Plat a few months back after around 54 hours with the game, and while I think there are better quality games which have released this year, I think it's my personal GOTY. 

The fact that I'm thinking of going through it again after just seeing and replaying the same missions a few times tonight is testament to that, I loved it! :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Vaati has uploaded his first video on the lore of AC VI, and it's a doozy! 

Man, I love this game :D 

Must...resist...the urge...to play again...

I was hoping to pick this up in the Black Friday sales but sadly there doesn't seem to be any retailer that has discounted it. Same goes for Lies of P. :(

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was hoping to pick this up in the Black Friday sales but sadly there doesn't seem to be any retailer that has discounted it.

Yeah, so far I think the lowest I've seen it at so far is £40 for the PS4 version, and that's how it was before the sales started to kick off :( fingers crossed it drops somewhere in the coming week for you! Would be super interested to hear your thoughts on it :peace:

The Black Friday sales stretching out to more than a week before the actual day really makes it hard to get a read on the best deals this time of year, guess the corpos know what they're doing there though ::shrug:

26 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Same goes for Lies of P. :(

Man, the reviews and pre-launch impressions for Lies of P have me really curious, but I'm trying to resist by burying the thought of playing Lies of P behind wanting to play Bloodborne again and forcing myself to play anything else to get my mind off doing just that. That being said, I did re-install Bloodborne on Friday, so I'm not sure how well that's working out for me :laughing:

6 hours ago, Julius said:

Man, the reviews and pre-launch impressions for Lies of P have me really curious, but I'm trying to resist by burying the thought of playing Lies of P behind wanting to play Bloodborne again and forcing myself to play anything else to get my mind off doing just that. That being said, I did re-install Bloodborne on Friday, so I'm not sure how well that's working out for me :laughing:

There's a stupid amount of praise for the game. Been catching up on various threads on here and see @RedShell also loved it.

I could do with another Soulslike game. I recently played Wo Long and really enjoyed it but it lacked the dark and depressing feel that the Souls games bring to the table. Lies of P looks to capture that perfectly.

21 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There's a stupid amount of praise for the game. Been catching up on various threads on here and see @RedShell also loved it.

I could do with another Soulslike game. I recently played Wo Long and really enjoyed it but it lacked the dark and depressing feel that the Souls games bring to the table. Lies of P looks to capture that perfectly.

I did indeed love it, game is an absolute no-brainer for anyone that enjoys the Souls formula. :)

BTW, you just reminded me that I need to try and get back to Wo Long at some point! Not played it in a few months, but was pretty far into it I think. :blank:

3 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I did indeed love it, game is an absolute no-brainer for anyone that enjoys the Souls formula. :)

BTW, you just reminded me that I need to try and get back to Wo Long at some point! Not played it in a few months, but was pretty far into it I think. :blank:

I appreciate Team Ninja's approach to the genre. If Nioh was their attempt at a Souls game then Wo Long was certainly them having a stab at making something like Sekiro. 

• Like 1

I see Smyths have knocked the price down to £29.99, which is what I was looking to pay. I may check the store that's on the way back from work and pick up a copy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I see Smyths have knocked the price down to £29.99, which is what I was looking to pay. I may check the store that's on the way back from work and pick up a copy.

absolute-win-hulk.gif

• Haha 1

Booted this up again tonight as my friend has slowly been chipping away at it and unlocked Nest, the online PvP mode. 

Wiped the floor with him with my Tristan MK-I build for well over an hour, but eventually he figured out that a tanky build might work best (I'd mentioned before about the tanky builds being broke, the Songbirds and to fly up when using them, etc.), and yeah...it was no longer as intense or as fun for either of us :blank: the only way to combat it, really, was with a tanky build of my own, so we were just there like a bunch of little kids bashing these big ol' goofy mechs against each other :laughing: the high HP, high defense stats and being able to fit the hardest hitting weapons to it really makes the game play so differently, in a way I personally didn't enjoy (not because I started losing, but more because there was very little skill involved when we both landed on the same tanky build). 

While I absolutely loved my time playing through Armored Core VI with a very speedy build, it simply doesn't translate to PvP well, where tanky builds - like in the main game, I guess, seeing some of the meta builds after I beat the game - reign supreme. By all means, the adage "play how you want to play" applies perfectly here, and I think it will help my friend to push through the game some more and hopefully face a bit more of a challenge with some of the bosses, which would be cool. 

I just think that with the next game they should really try to balance things a bit more. The trade-off feels like it should be that the faster build is equal in that though it has less health it can dodge the attacks easier and more consistently, but the area of effect of some of the shoulder weapons are insane and just make it a bit of a no-go, so it doesn't work out that way, and so you end up unable to keep up and have way less health while doing so. I beat him a couple of times in the end and had some close run-ins but it wasn't anywhere near as fun as the more skilful battles we had early on with both of using lighter mechs ::shrug:

Anyways, our different approaches to the controller is also very funny, as I can his button-mashing while I'm calmly going through the motions on my end :D I think I'm going to give an anti-tank build some thought and testing, though, so if nothing else, this seems a brilliant excuse to return to the game here and there :p

Edited by Julius

Sign in to follow this