NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ike

Nintendo Direct: The Super Mario Bros. Movie 2nd trailer - 29th November

A reminder that Mario once refused to save the world from an evil demon bat because it'd cost him a million coins.

The guy is not endearing!

Edited by Glen-i

The trailers insist on having Mario almost never talk! I'm actually wondering if he barely talks in the film itself, too.

The one line he gets in the most recent clip was actually pretty decent.

Loving all the nods in that new clip. You can play it a few times and see something new every time. Love the NES cartridge joke in there.

This film is going to be one that you see something new every time you watch it.

• Like 2

Oh yeah in terms of the actual trailer I did like that the Antiques shop font was pixelated. Nice touch. 

Admining out loud here but how do people want to proceed with this film? I think there's a general thread somewhere and if so we've now had three threads about it. Should we just merge them all into one?

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Admining out loud here but how do people want to proceed with this film? I think there's a general thread somewhere and if so we've now had three threads about it. Should we just merge them all into one?

It's weird, isn't it? Technically speaking, it should be under the Films thread in General Chit Chat, but Ninty themselves are plugging it in their Directs, etc, and we always have a new thread for a new Direct.

Oh, I'm not helping, BTW. I'm not very enthused about the film, so I'll leave it to you lot.

I'm gonna say it, I really like how Mario sounds so far.

Don't mind how the thread is handled, I just came on here to appreciate the Crazy Cap store from Odyssey in the background of an early shot. Oh and the way the Cheep Cheep in the bag eyes him up is hilarious.

41 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Technically speaking, it should be under the Films thread in General Chit Chat,

It very much deserves its own thread. Not everything needs to be in a mega thread! Although I see your point that typically it would be in the General forum, rather than the Nintendo one. 

But it's more about whether we roll the direct threads into a general one.

48 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm gonna say it, I really like how Mario sounds so far.

Don't mind how the thread is handled, I just came on here to appreciate the Crazy Cap store from Odyssey in the background of an early shot. Oh and the way the Cheep Cheep in the bag eyes him up is hilarious.

Yeah I think he sounds fine. He's going to be the straight man of the film anyway, so he can't have a ridiculously over the top accent - can you imagine a film with Charles Martinet doing overly long speeches in his silly Mario voice? It would be excruciating to listen to.

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

It very much deserves its own thread. Not everything needs to be in a mega thread! Although I see your point that typically it would be in the General forum, rather than the Nintendo one. 

But it's more about whether we roll the direct threads into a general one.

Yeah, we probably should roll it all into one thread.  Can be hard to track down all the discourse surrounding the movie; and given that it has “direct” (huh huh) ramifications on Nintendo as a company and the Mario series in general? Probably should also stay on the gaming side.

See I did later realise I made the Last of Us TV thread in general chat so in theory the Mario film should be there too but it'll probably remain here. 

Well I guess that's one power up we won't be seeing in the film

I think Illumination should have chosen a different thumbnail for that video. One without any spoilers about the content of the movie.

Still, good scene. And first listen to Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong! 

Film is now releasing a week later on April 7th in the UK.

Also yeah, not chuffed about that thumbnail, they're going to spoil every surprise at this rate.

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Film is now releasing a week later on April 7th in the UK.

Taking it ever further from Mar10.

Something about Bowser in that poster really does look like Jack Black. Something about the eyebrows reminds me of him.

You can definitely imagine Jack Black pulling a similar face.

Still loving DK's new look.

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Is this secretly going to be Spiny's origin story?

See. Now that you mention it, I'm reminded of how weird Mario Kart's Spiny Shell (Yes, "Blue Shell" is not the name of that item) is.

I'm sure you all know what an actual Spiny is, they're the spiked annoyances that Lakitu chucks at you endlessly. And before you point it out, yes, Spinys are red. But we have had a case of Blue Spiny, specifically in Super Mario Bros. 3, and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Anyway, when it debuted in Mario Kart 64, the Spiny Shell did actually resemble a Spiny.

MKSC_Spiny_Shell_Artwork.png

Note the smooth shell, there aren't any lines on it. But then Double Dash happened...

400px-SpinyShellMK8.png

Now it's a Koopa Shell that's blue. Yes, it's still called the Spiny Shell to this day. And yes, this bothers me very much! That isn't a Spiny Shell! And that Paratroopa in the above poster is not a Spiny, it's a Koopa Paratroopa!

Edited by Glen-i

Sign in to follow this