NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

N-E Online Mario Parties (Week 27 - Waluigi's Island - MP3)

Just now, BowserBasher said:

@Glen-i When is this next totally unfair game of Mario Party happening?

Not this week, I'm afraid, Dcubed is working over the weekend.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

@Glen-i When is this next totally unfair game of Mario Party happening?

It’ll be next week, I’m sadly working nights over this weekend.

• Thanks 1

Fl79V5SaUAEHhuz?format=jpg&name=large

@Dcubed might have cashed in all his MP1 luck too early...

Very high scoring round throughout, which is ironic, because no-one was going anywhere really fast.

@BowserBasher was really gunning for "Unluckiest Mario Party game" last night though. Don't think it quite reaches my shambolic DK's Jungle Adventure performance, but it was damn close! Some examples, after this.

Some context for why he didn't nick the star, @Dcubed was right behind him, which means there was a decent chance that he would just nick the star, meaning @BowserBasher would've just wasted 50 coins. Not sure what posessed him to steal coins from 3rd place Luigi, though...
BTW, that was the second time he only got one coin from Boo that game.

I just knew picking the Event Block after the last game was the right choice!

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

Right, we're almost getting there. Time for the last initial MP1 board.

Luigi's Engine Room

Luigiengineroom.png

Yeah, I don't remember this one much, either. It's one of those "paths change every turn" boards that everyone loves soooo much. Every single warp pipe leads to Boo, so expect a lot of thievery. It's also another board where going to Bowser is something you elect to do. Not quite sure this deserves the 3 star difficulty, but we'll see.

I won the last game, so I went with the Slow Block.

150px-SlowBlock.png

The Slow Block is a lazy palette swap of the Fast Block. What? How dare you!? Not every block is a lazy recolour! That kind of talk will get you banned from Mario Party, you know!
Where the Fast Block only has 8, 9, and 10 on it, the Slow Block only has a 1, 2, and 3 on it. Most of the time, it's not helpful, which makes it helpful, because of the silly way special blocks work in MP1.

Granted, throughout the last 5 games, our travel speed has been woeful, so I'm not sure introducing this to proceedings was the best idea...

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

I actually felt a bit sorry for Simon last night, the game was outright out to get him last night...

An appropriate summary of this week

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, I don't remember this one much, either.

I remember doing a maximum turn game on that board. That was a character-building experience.

:shakehead  

• Haha 3

On 08/01/2023 at 8:58 AM, Glen-i said:

Not sure what posessed him to steal coins from 3rd place Luigi, though...

I was letting you two duke it out in first and second, As I had no chance of catching at that point I thought better to close the gap on third. Fat lot of good that did.

@Dcubed that's exactly how I felt. Game was just out to get me. And you'd think being called MARIO Party, it would favour Mario. 

• Haha 1

Fun game tonight, with some fun clips to share...

Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough to clip the moment I Fast Blocked in front of Simon and nabbed the Star, forcing him to pay Bowser 20 coins for nothing...

Still though, Simon deserved what he got tonight! Utterly despicable behaviour! And to think that I tried to HELP him with that Chance Time!! Simon was in full Mario Party 1 mode tonight :laughing:

It was legit close though! Honestly was almost nothing between all four players tonight! Could easily have been anyone's game right up until the last moment; defo the closest night we've had so far! :o

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

Welp, time to move on to the secret boards. And they are some doozys. You're about to remind yourself just how mean this game can be.

Bowser's Magma Mountain

Bowser's-magma-mountain.png

Welcome to "Coin Flip: The Board"! Consisting of one massive winding path, this board does not mess around. There are 4 Bowser statues. The 3 green ones offer you the chance to take a shortcut up the mountain with a 50% chance of success. The purple one is the one to watch out for though, it decides which path you go down. You don't want to go to Bowser, if you lose his coin flip, he'll take a blooming Star! There is no shame in using that third shortcut to skip him. It might just decide the game!
Oh yeah, and avoid the Happening spaces whenever possible, unless you're certain it'll win you the bonus star. It's no benefit to anyone!

There's only one Bonus Block left now, and it's the Plus Block.

150px-PlusBlock.png

What does it say about us, that we saved the block you'd be most happy to see for last? Best not dwell on that.
The Plus Block is the mirror opposite of the Minus Block, it gives you coins matching the number you roll. Of course, it's MP1, so it's three times more likely to show up for someone else instead. There's probably a good reason why all but two of them never showed up again...

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

You don't want to go to Bowser, if you lose his coin flip, he'll take a blooming Star!

Well I won't have that problem, I never get the damn things.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this game hates me! You'd think a game called Mario Party would favour Mario but nope, this game straight up trolled me last night. 

And I know @Glen-i nor @Dcubed get my tactic, but I'll steal from the person who is one place in front of me if I'm way too far behind first. I ain't helping no one in second place by stealing from first. 

Hopefully everyone will lose their stars on the next board and I'll win just cause I don't have any to lose.

• Haha 1

Absolutely disgusting behaviour from @Glen-i tonight! I already had horrendous luck, there was no need to kick poor Wario while he was down!!

dr-mario-badass.gif

An appropriate summary of this week

• Haha 3

I am not going to give this thread the satisfaction of my comments after what the game did to me last night. Also both of you throwing games just out of spite is both funny and insulting behaviour lol

• Haha 1

Right, a tad late due to not being able to get to a desktop, but here are the results.

FnZ2TAwX0AAn-YT?format=jpg&name=large

Look, I did behave despicably, but I've run out of GIF's, so @Dcubed must not be allowed to win, even if my dignity has to take a hit!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

Oh my daze! We're almost out of the unbalanced hell hole of Mario Party 1. But first, one more board...

Eternal Star

Eternal-star.png

I hope you lot appreciated how much time I wasted watching CPU's play Mario Party to get those 100 stars...

This board is weird. The gimmick of this one is all the warp pads that take you to various parts of the board. The problem is the actual destination changes between 3 different "Courses". So unless your memory is amazing, good luck. It sucks too, because one of those warp pads will take you to Bowser. He isn't messing around, he'll take a star if you get to him. No ifs, no buts.
But this board isn't happy with just one gimmick, it needs two! Toad doesn't handle the star space here, Koopa Kid Mini Bowser Baby Bowser (Not that Baby Bowser) does, and there's 7 of him all throughout the board. When you get to one of them, you'll have to beat them in a dice game, after you pay 20 coins of course. Don't worry, it's heavily rigged in your favour.

Complex board, this.

Anyway, a certain other game is out very soon, and that may have gotten some people to bite on the Expansion Pack, so if anyone out there actually wants to join in, let me know, and I'll tell you when we're next playing.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Anyway, a certain other game is out very soon, and that may have gotten some people to bite on the Expansion Pack, so if anyone out there actually wants to join in, let me know, and I'll tell you when we're next playing.

Hint hint @S.C.G ;)

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Hint hint @S.C.G ;)

Hmm? I did just buy the expansion pack... but I assumed that you already had four players for Mario Party? (Yourself, Glen, Hazel and Simon)

If there's a space free, then I'd be interested, depending on when it is... though I'm waiting on either the N64 Switch pad, or the Raphnet N64 - GC adapter that I just ordered to arrive before I get properly into playing N64 games on it.

If there is a suitable workaround for using the GC controller though, I could just use that if you're playing soon. (I seem to recall there was some remapping to be done for Mario Party?)

Anyway, the N64 games do seem good, I did have a quick go on F-Zero X in portable mode and it's easily the best emulated version I've played on a Nintendo console.

12 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Hmm? I did just buy the expansion pack... but I assumed that you already had four players for Mario Party? (Yourself, Glen, Hazel and Simon)

If there's a space free, then I'd be interested, depending on when it is... though I'm waiting on either the N64 Switch pad, or the Raphnet N64 - GC adapter that I just ordered to arrive before I get properly into playing N64 games on it.

If there is a suitable workaround for using the GC controller though, I could just use that if you're playing soon. (I seem to recall there was some remapping to be done for Mario Party?)

Anyway, the N64 games do seem good, I did have a quick go on F-Zero X in portable mode and it's easily the best emulated version I've played on a Nintendo console.

If you're using the official GCN controller adapter? Afraid not.  There's no way to remap the buttons for the GCN controller when using the GCA (The Switch Home Menu just blocks you from doing so, for some stupid reason), which locks you out of using the N64's Z button (Since that gets mapped to ZL rather than L)...

If you have an 8bitdo G-Bros adapter though? You can use that instead though, since it tricks the Switch into seeing the GCN controller as a Switch Pro Controller (where you CAN then remap the controls).

BTW, we're planning on playing Mario Party tonight at 20:00 if you're up for joining us! :D

• Thanks 1

OMG did it really happen? I was actually winning for more than one round, and didn't come last! I should retire whilst I'm winning.

• Haha 1

FnhD2fWaEAEBUSS?format=jpg&name=large

20 turns, and none of us could get that seventh star...

@S.C.G took the Luigi reins and astonished us all with his Chance Time expertise!

What's that? It just looks like he was running around randomly and mashing A whenever he felt like it? Shut up!

• Haha 3

OH GOD! WHY WON'T MARIO PARTY 1 END!?

Mini-Game Stadium

Mini-Game_Stadium_MP1.png

It's a board, it counts, we're doing it.

I couldn't find a picture with the spaces in it, so I'll detail it here. Koopa is on the northmost tip of the star, the other tips have red spaces, and there's a single mini-game space in between the two southern tips. The rest are all blue spaces.

This board doesn't work like the standard boards. For starters, there are no stars here. Victory is determined purely by how many coins you have at the end. Blue and red spaces don't give or take away coins, they're only used to determine the next minigame. However, passing by Koopa still gets you coins, and the mini-game space gives you a chance to get some more coins. So while your Mini game chops will be the biggest factor in play here, high rolls and lucky single player game landings will give you an edge.

For this session, I'll be giving everyone a 50 coin boost at the start, purely because I want more coins to buy actual stuff with.

I'll let you know when @Dcubed is available next.

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

For starters, there are no stars here. Victory is determined purely by how many coins you have at the end.

Well that's me out of contention. I mean I ended with 15 last night, though I was able to buy 2 stars, so that would have been 55 coins I had, and you lot did steal all my coins when I decided to go for mayhem on the Bowser space.

14 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

We'll finally be putting Mario Party 1 to bed this week.

Praise the lord! 

• Haha 2

Sign in to follow this