NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

N-E Online Mario Parties (Week 27 - Waluigi's Island - MP3)

So @Dcubed suggested that I make a seperate thread for this, so I have.

Every Friday, at 8pm BST, I'm hoping to get together three other people to play one round of Mario Party. I'm thinking that it'd be great if over time we end up playing every N64 board by the end of this.

• Every game will be 20 turns, which usually takes a bit over an hour, so plan accordingly.
  • You'll need an NSO Expansion Pack subscription to take part in the N64 titles.
  • In the case of less then 4 people joining, the CPU's will be set to Normal, and one of them will be Luigi, because I said so.
  • If more than 4 people want to play, then a queue will be formed, with the person who has played the most games so far being swapped out for the person in waiting.
  • In the case that more than 1 person has played the same amount of games, then the person who placed the lowest in the previous game will be swapped out.

So with that, the first week will be on...

Mario's Rainbow Castle

Mario_Party_Mario's_Rainbow_Castle_MP1.p

A relatively simple board, this. Use the junctions well to time your arrival at the center platform so you can buy a star from Toad! But don't make the mistake of getting there when Bowser is present, or else you'll lose... hang on. *checks notes* FORTY COINS!? What the hell!? This is supposed to be the easiest board! Why is it so harsh!?

Current Players

Glen-i - Yoshi
DCubed - Wario
BowserBasher - Mario

Yes, I'm claiming Yoshi before anyone gets a chance. I'm hosting the damn thing! So there! And it totally matters! Shut up!

Fair Warning. Mario Party 1 is notorious for having mini games that involve rotating the control stick as fast as possible. This will ruin your Joycon, and I can't remove them from the pool of games. I highly recommmend using a more durable controller (Such as the N64 controller) if you plan on playing.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

Surely if there's more than 4 people wanting to play then you all roll a die to choose?

But I'm not sure why anyone would want to sign up given you've dibsed the best character

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

But I'm not sure why anyone would want to sign up given you've dibsed the best character

That's impossible, Boo's not playable in the N64 games.

18 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

I'll join. Guess I'll be boring and just be Mario.

Just for the sake of clarity, Luigi is available if you really want him.

• Weird 1

He's right. The poor guy got all the bad luck!

FhT_u0eaAAATI3A?format=jpg&name=small

@Dcubed uses the tried and tested strategy of "guarantee 2 of the Bonus Stars just by getting all the mini game coins" He just happened to be in the right place/team whenever a bonus game came up! Now, I'm no sore loser, but...

add5d19af1de06aae9c3e75542ec9769c06cdcdf

@BowserBasher clinches second place with the Happening Star. And I was third, which given the horrific start I had, is probably the best I could hope for.

N64 NSO ran like a dream! Only one notable stutter, and it was only a slight one, much better then the Mario Kart 64 session I had when it first came out. Really impressed! Unfortunately, Gamecube controllers can't be used, because they lack a ZL button, which some mini games need. Unless you have some kind of adapter to enable button mapping, it's not happening.

• Haha 2

Next week will be...

DK's Jungle Adventure

1200px-DK'sJungleAdventure.png

It's the same difficulty as Mario's Rainbow Castle, apparently. Yet, Bowser is super avoidable and only takes 10 of your coins. That difficulty rating is a joke!
Anyway, let's face it, there's only one notable feature of this board.

pZ8obkr.jpg

Current Players

Glen-i - Yoshi
Dcubed - Wario

As a prize for winning, Dcubed got to choose one special block for use in future MP1 games. He went with the Speed Block.

PXLpWsG_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

When it appears, you're guaranteed to roll an 8, 9, or 10. Sounds useful, until you need to roll a 1 and this bugger decides to show up!

Next Friday, 8pm.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Well that was typical for me. Leading going into the last few rounds with 2 stars and I have them both stolen from me. I still managed to come second though.

Fh4B7yYaAAE9QsK?format=jpg&name=large

Go ahead and nominate my performance for the "Most atrocious luck in Mario Party" award! Absolutely demolished! Luigi landed on a Bowser Space 3 times, and he still had better luck then me!

1cb63cbe587947ed856ea4164ff2822d837f13c5

Absolutely atrocious behaviour from @Dcubed tonight. Some proper "Eff you, got mine" tactics in play. He'll happily lose 5 coins if it meant everyone else also loses 5 coins. In fact, he did that 3 times!
Naturally, he won. Because Mario Party 1 is of the same mindset. The game is proper unfair, y'all.

Anyway, @BowserBasher came 2nd, I came last.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not even going to lie, my behaviour was utterly woeful.  There was no need for me to purposely throw Running of the Bulb... twice.

Nah, who am I kidding, it was totally justified :laughing:

Anyway! Here's some lowlights highlights for your amusement...

That was great fun.  I love how ridiculously unfair Mario Party 1 can be.

yoshigameover.jpg?fit=720,720&p=1

An appropriate summary of this week

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Right, next week will be on...

Peach's Birthday Cake

1200px-Peach'sBirthdayCake.png

Who the actual hell is this cake for? It's far too big! Peach has clearly gone loopy.
With a ridiculous 14 happening spaces and a lottery no-one wants to actually pay for, this board has plenty of opportunity to throw away all your money. Do you feel lucky enough to actually pull off a Piranha Plant star steal? Do you feel 30 coins worth of lucky?

@Dcubed won the last game, so he got to choose the next special block to enter play. So, as well as the Speed Block, we'll be seeing the Warp Block from now on.

cIBEzV2.png

When the Warp Block shows up, it will swap the person who hits it with another person on the board. The person you warp with is chosen at random.
In most Mario Party games, this tends to be a powerful item that can really turn the tables if used correctly. But this is Mario Party 1, and Mario Party 1 hates you.
In Mario Party 1, this thing is an utter menace that seems to show up at the worst possible moment to ruin someone's life. Not using it is not an option, and you don't even get to roll a normal dice that turn.

No-one likes the MP1 Warp Block.

Current Players

Glen-i - Yoshi

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

A little late, but...

Fkl_aMGaEAAS3F9?format=jpg&name=large

eedd8e02-66fb-4454-b052-faaec326722e_tex

Bloody hell, I thought those GIF's would last me throughout the entirety of MP1 at least, but I've blown through almost all of them in only 3 games! Anyway...

Yoshi's Tropical Island

1600px-Yoshi'sTropicalIsland.PNG

For what it's worth, I think this is the most annoying board in the first game. The main gimmick is that Bowser and Toad swap their positions whenever someone lands on a happening space, which is more likely then you'd think. The Thwomps in the middle must be paid if you want to pass. The price starts at 1 coin, but the next person has to pay at least 1 more coin then the last person. An interesting, but risky, power play is to burn 50 coins and effectively "buy" an island. Usually, the right island is the one to buy, thanks to Boo, but this can backfire if someone moves Toad and no-one else manages to land on another happening space.

@BowserBasher, @Dcubed should be free after Mario Kart tonight if you want to play then.

Oh right, as a reminder, Dcubed, being the cheater winner of last week's game got to choose the next special block. He went with the Minus Block.

wcPEM0g.png

It's red, it's a block, and it's surprisingly helpful most of the time. The Minus Block, true to its name, takes away your coins when hit. How much you lose is determined by what number you roll. This sounds like a terrible block, but when you think about how special blocks work, it's three times more likely that someone else will get it. In a weird sort of way, that makes this block the most useful one? A rare moment of niceness from someone who purposely throws Running of the Bulb just so everyone loses coins only because he can afford to lose coins!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Grab bag… I lost because of FUCKING GRAB BAG!?!?

That game was ridiculous! :laughing: Well played though, I totally deserved it; I ain’t even gonna lie.

• Weird 1

OK, some context for those of you lurking, because it really was the most amazing game so far!

It was pretty close throughout the first half, but @Dcubed got about 80 coins in 2 turns, guaranteeing him the Coin Star, and setting on path for the Game Star to boot.

And then...

That one star got passed around like a bloody chain letter! And that was only half of the Chance Times! 6 Chance Times in 20 turns! That's ridiculous!

But Dcubed ended up with that star in the end, and he had a good lead. All was going swimmingly. He even didn't mind pulling this off again.

Every time, man! There wasn't even a benefit to it.

The last turn game came along, and it was Grab Bag. There was a chance! A very small chance. So @BowserBasher and I banded together and homed in on Dcubed. He lost 15 coins and I got 1. Was it enough? Could the curse finally be broken!? Will I have to use up another GIF?

FknY4zgaEAAtiBT?format=jpg&name=large

tempsnip2.jpg

It doesn't look that close, until you look at the detailed results.

FknY4zWacAAJfSr?format=jpg&name=large

That game of Grab Bag prevented Dcubed from getting the Game Star, which cost him the match. It was that close.

Amazingly enough, most shameful play has to go to BowserBasher, who stole coins off of second place with Boo for no good reason!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Next game will be on...

Wario's Battle Canyon

1600px-Wario'sBattleCanyon.PNG

I hope you like random chance dictating your path, because it's all over the place here! The 5 islands aren't directly connected, you have to use the Bob-ombs to blast you around the place. Blasting is non-negotiable, if you pass a Bob-omb, you're moving to the next island.
Weirdly enough, despite the horrible top right island, Bowser himself is effectively a non threat. He sits on the middle island, which you have to pay 10 coins to go to! No-one in their right mind would ever choose to go there, will you be the first? (Spoiler, you won't)

I won the last game, and I dictate that the next game will use the Event Block.

nxL2bCh.png

They just took a standard Brick Block and plastered question marks all over it, you fool!

Whenever the Event Block appears, the person hitting it will either meet up with Koopa (Neat!), Boo (Better!), or Bowser (Bad!). Boo acts like they normally do, while Koopa gives you 20 coins. Bowser, meanwhile, takes away 20 coins.
Naturally, the benefits outweigh the risk, making this another block that more then likely will screw you over. Because that's Mario Party 1, and Mario Party 1 is a stupid game.

I swear to the great Comet Observatory in the sky, if I roll the lowest number on the turn order decider a fifth time, I'm gonna blow a freaking gasket!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Amazingly enough, most shameful play has to go to BowserBasher, who stole coins off of second place with Boo for no good reason!

No reason? I got coins, that's reason enough. LOL

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this