NEurope
Ashley

Do you still buy gaming magazines?

The print industry is obviously past its prime but I still occasionally pick up Wireframe and/or Edge depending on the contents and if I have a journey coming up and want something to read.

I do know there's quite a few kickstarters for very specific topics. I have got both issues of A Profound Waste of Time and the production quality is amazing, but never really bothered with any others.

I don’t buy them regularly, but I do like Retro Gamer.  Their features are excellent and they do some brilliant interviews with developers.  Highly recommended!

I've been thinking about magazines in general lately, I even ordered one this month, a Dutch magazine about outdoor lifestyle en sports.

Gaming magazines? I don't see me buying any of those. I've never bought them regularly anyway. I had a subscription to the Dutch official Nintendo magazine in the 90s, but apart from those I only have a small selection of gaming magazines like the Power Unlimited, which is the most popular gaming magazine here in The Netherlands (I assume, I don't have any statistics). I get all my gaming info from the internet.

I do actually have a pretty large collection of.. Fashion magazines and men's magazines. Probably around 300. But you're talking about gamings magazines in particular, so I won't elaborate.

Sad to say I don't much anymore, though I'll still on occasion pick up Edge if there's a good feature or review, like say a big 3D Mario or Zelda game

Got a subscription to Retro Gamer when I randomly picked up issue 222 from WH Smiths. Really like the back to the naughties section where they talk about video game news and events from a particular month from '05-'06 Currently in January 2006, really good section.

Coincidentally, yesterday evening I was looking at the magazine Switch Player. It was a Kickstarter project and looks to have been running since the early days of the Switch. It seems pretty cool.

I do miss gaming magazines but I can understand why they died a death.

Last few gaming magazines I bought were copies of Retro Gamer... and I haven't properly read them :heh: Goes to show why I don't purchase them anymore, as they don't really fit with my schedule.

Moreover, I used to read magazines because they were also gaming news. I kept up with releases over various consoles thanks to the magazine I used to read (hence why I still remember the existence of say, Psi-Ops, Forbidden Siren, or Onimusha Tactics), but now I have such easy access to trailers, screenshots, opinion pieces, and even demos and soundtracks, that the need has become obsolete.

Still, I should get around to reading those issues of Retro Gamer, they seem legitimately good.

On 27/10/2022 at 10:58 PM, Jonnas said:

Last few gaming magazines I bought were copies of Retro Gamer... and I haven't properly read them :heh:

Iz you me? Because I do that. Like with actual games I guess, so it fits.  :heh:

I usually pick up Retro Gamer and sometimes Edge, but Morrisons have stopped selling them, so I don't buy them as often nowaways.

• Thanks 1

No not anymore.  I do miss the days of N64 / NGamer magazine as I enjoyed their sense of humour and found their reviews seemed pretty accurate with how I felt about the games I played.

I do enjoy the different articles that paper magazines tended to put together, and I don’t see anywhere near enough online.  I guess they had to fill pages each month so were forced to be creative. 

I am pleased to see that the likes of Edge & Famitsu have still managed to hold on to their reputations when it comes to reviews, and a high score in them is still held in high regard.

7 hours ago, WackerJr said:

No not anymore.  I do miss the days of N64 / NGamer magazine as I enjoyed their sense of humour and found their reviews seemed pretty accurate with how I felt about the games I played.

I do enjoy the different articles that paper magazines tended to put together, and I don’t see anywhere near enough online.  I guess they had to fill pages each month so were forced to be creative. 

I am pleased to see that the likes of Edge & Famitsu have still managed to hold on to their reputations when it comes to reviews, and a high score in them is still held in high regard.

Yeah, this was definitely the case but it very rarely felt like filler. I suppose it's kinda similar now with websites and how they are constantly putting out garbage articles and features in order to get clicks (looking at you NintendoLife and PushSquare). When websites do this it reeks of desperation but when the likes of N64 and PLAY magazine needed content it always came off as a passion project and genuine. 

• Like 1

Not really video game magazine, but I have subscribed to Tabletop Gaming magazine, however the last 3 issues have been very quickly flipped through and put to the side with a promise to read it later. 

I used to subscribe to Official Nintendo Magazine on a regular basis. When that ended online media pretty much took over for me so no.