NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Living to 100

Presuming you'd have a moderate bill of health (not incapacitated and/or in great pain) do you reckon you'd like to live to 100? 

Was randomly thinking about it recently but from a slightly different angle; I'd like to try and be healthy enough that I could get there. Obviously you never know and all sorts of things could be the end of you, but as a kind of loose goal I think it's worth a shot personally. I guess the opposite of "live fast die young".

I seriously plan to make it to 120.

Think about it. It's the only realistic way of time traveling. My curiosity will get me there.

I'm only 35 and I feel like my body is falling apart. If I get to 100 i'll mostly be bionic parts held together by string.

• Like 1

I didn't want to go past 30 and yet here I am 10 years later.

The thought of living a long time doesn't appeal to me at all. Sure, if you can afford to retire when you hit your 50's it would be nice but for most of us that isn't happening.

I've worked with a few people in their late 50's early 60's and it isn't a pretty sight watching them struggle on. The same goes for when I see people older than that out and about shopping. There's no real quality of life there.

The thought of having to live another 60 years to reach 100...no thanks.

If ageing didn't come with the body deteriorating, I might have answered "yes". But as it is, our bodies - while being a marvel - turn to shit eventually, so no. I will go as long as I'm able to do my own shopping and smack noobs on Call of Duty: Futuristic Warfare in Space XV.

As soon as that's over I'll try to get my hands on some cocaine and go out with a bang :D 

If medical science progresses to the point that I could be healthy, mobile and in my right mind then absolutely, I'd love to stick around for as long as possible, but I'm not optimistic about that being the case. 

I wouldn't be averse to cybernetic upgrades if that was an option, would love an artiforg heart and reinforced bones to keep me going into my 100's, anything to delay the inevitable.

Either I will through sheer determination/spite or I won't make it to 65. 

Its really no secret all my health problems. Even though they are on the way to getting sorted, the amount of medical trauma adds years. My partner mentioned it (nicely) this morning. 

Im also not even sure I'd want to live that long. Even if I were healthy. Because would anyone else? Would my husband? Sure that'd be awesome to have 60 odd years with him. But otherwise no. Let me die already 😂

I think "yes" in any case: the in-built will to live just overpowers everything for me.

Would I like to be an immobile shell with a barely functional mind? No. But if Death comes anywhere near me, I'm going to tear his face off.

Edited by Iun
teh spellings

Sure, I'll live to 100. It'll be fine as long as I refuse to age.

More seriously, I see folk who's still cheery and energetic well into their 80s, even when their bodies can't quite keep up. I'd like to aim for that sort of mentality.

5 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Sure, I'll live to 100. It'll be fine as long as I refuse to age.

More seriously, I see folk who's still cheery and energetic well into their 80s, even when their bodies can't quite keep up. I'd like to aim for that sort of mentality.

Yeah, my granddad turned 92 a few days back and he's just so miserable after the death of my grandmother several years ago. He finds no joy in living and has completely lost his spark. He's not saying it outright, but I have the strong feeling that he has given up on life.

• Sad 3

I'm sorry to hear that Iun. I can't imagine what that's like; to have lived with someone for so long and for them to not be the anymore. 

Thanks, Ash. It's been a few years and talking to him on the phone (I'm still overseas) has shown a marked decline, which has been sad.

On 28/10/2022 at 2:13 AM, Iun said:

Yeah, my granddad turned 92 a few days back and he's just so miserable after the death of my grandmother several years ago. He finds no joy in living and has completely lost his spark. He's not saying it outright, but I have the strong feeling that he has given up on life.

That's really sad to hear, and I'm sorry for that. It's a shame that this is actually a lot more common than we think amongst people of that age bracket. Their bodies have broken down, their memory isn't what it used to be, and they've been through heartache with losing their loved ones. My mum has got a form of Parkinson's and we lost our dad 8 years ago. She's deteriorated so much in the last 5 years or so and is just feeling miserable. Old age seems very cruel at times.  

12 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

That's really sad to hear, and I'm sorry for that. It's a shame that this is actually a lot more common than we think amongst people of that age bracket. Their bodies have broken down, their memory isn't what it used to be, and they've been through heartache with losing their loved ones. My mum has got a form of Parkinson's and we lost our dad 8 years ago. She's deteriorated so much in the last 5 years or so and is just feeling miserable. Old age seems very cruel at times.  

Do not go gentle into that long "goodnight"...

Sign in to follow this