NEurope
Glen-i

Nintendo Direct: The Super Mario Bros. Movie - October 6th, 9:05 pm

I get that this film probably isn’t for me, a long time Mario fan. It’s being made to bring in new fans. But seeing that trailer made me more sad than I expected. I thought I’d at least be okay with Jack Black as Bowser… but I’m not.

Well that really was just a teaser, but I enjoyed it. Jack Black is probably gonna steal the show as Bowser, I feel its a great fit for his voice. What little they showed of Mario talking, well I'll want to see more. I know people are not going to like not having his normal voice, but could you really sit through a whole movie of it. Will be interesting to see how it goes on. I found it strange to hear Mario sound like that but will wait to see how it turns out. Already seems to have a good bit of humour and there's so much more to show.

I think he sounded alright but it was mainly just single syllables, it's really sad that people are already judging it as the worst thing to ever happen. Come on... 

I think it's interesting that he seemed to be thrown into the Mushroom Kingdom - where does he come from? Our world, or?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

I know people are not going to like not having his normal voice, but could you really sit through a whole movie of it.

This. The voices as we know them are good for the games, but I couldn't stomach 1,5 hours of Martinet Mario, a shrill Toad and a rumbling Bowser.

Plenty of humour in the teaser already, and happy seeing Luigi is there!

• Like 2

Jack Black is gonna totally carry this movie.  His Bowser is perfect.

It's Jim Carrey in Sonic all over again!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

nintendodirect06102022roundupbanner.620x0.webp

Nintendo Direct 06/10/2022 Roundup

Now up on the main page.

Link to the original direct, which contains the first trailer for the film.

19 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

But holy shit! Chris Pratt as Mario is utterly fucking awful!

Somehow, Kamek sounds even worse though, fuck me! Jesus Christ!

Has Gordon Ramsey hacked your account?

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

I would have preferred some other voice actors, but overall I enjoyed the footage and I'm looking forward to the premiere. I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

Forgot they were dropping the trailer at 9pm so only just watched it. It was okay I guess, Mario does look a bit weird in motion at first but I'll probably get used to that, definitely wasn't a fan of Pratt's performance though - yes it's a bit unfair to judge it on such a short clip but it did seem a bit phoned in. I've never seen any other Illumination films but I can safely say they're probably not for me so I don't really care whether this film is any good or not. Will be interesting to see what the rest of the cast sounds like. 

Chris Pratt didn't even try to differentiate his voice, he's just playing himself. Dreadful.

Kamek takes the crown for awful voice though. That was baaaaad.

Jack Black and Keegan-Michael Key killing it though. Perfect casting there.

Also, it's weird how Luigi's model looks really good, especially compared to Mario. Bowser also looks spot on. They must have the same lawyer as Vector does.

The French and Brazilian dub for Mario sound much better then Pratt.

Edited by Glen-i

Honestly, a much better trailer than what the majority of children's movies usually get. We actually had a substantial scene that sets the mood for the film. Managed to be humorous without ever undercutting Bowser as a character (which is a general concern I had).

More importantly, did you notice some unique-looking goons in Bowser's army? For example, there was a Koopa with an eyepatch. Hoping we get some Paper Mario looking NPCs with character.

As for the voices:

• Jack Black is doing good as Bowser. I feel like we need to hear him talk some more, but I do dig his villainous glee;
  • Kamek sounded fine. Had some Vizzini (Princess Bride) vibes from him;
  • Chris Pratt as Mario did nothing for me. Mario sounded really bland, I was hoping for a bit more enthusiasm;
  • Keegan Michael-Toad was excellent. Hoping he gets a lot of screentime;
  • Charlie Day had a single grunt as Luigi, and it was a good one;
  • King Penguin was the best, whoever that was.

So yeah, mostly positive impressions.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1

I was relieved and pleasantly surprised watching this.  I thought it looked really good and very promising.  I know it’s a little too early to really tell, but look at the backlash after the initial Sonic movie reveal and I don’t foresee anything like that happening here now.

It was a little odd not hearing the regular voices, but I was ok with them.  Jack Black in particular looks like he could have some fun with his part!

Just now, Glen-i said:

The French and Brazilian dub for Mario sound much better then Pratt.

I didn't realise the Brazilian dub trailer was getting dropped at the same time. I checked it out and... sure that Mario is better, but their Bowser & King Penguin were massive downgrades. You win some, you lose some.

Can someone with way too much money pay Jack Black to read all of Bowser's lines from Bowser's Inside Story? And then get someone else to mod them into the game?

I want to play that game so much!

EDIT: Yeah, I do agree, @Jonnas. A pity, that.

Edited by Glen-i

That was fucking awesome. This film is going to be tons of fun.

Bowser, Kamek and especially Toad were perfect, and Chris Pratt's voice was fine for me, especially the Brooklyn twang in that last sequence.

Can't wait.

Getting an overwhelmingly positive response everyone else online, which is encouraging.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Jack Black as Bowser is fantastic, especially considering he's only ever grunted before besides his Mario Sunshine daddy voice. 

The film looks gorgeous, especially considering its illumination, which always look fine but pretty simple.

I didn't have high hopes for Chris Pratt and I'm still disappointed. They could have got any disinterested middle aged man off the street to read those lines off a piece of paper and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

His enthusiasm in the Direct was also hilarious. "I stomped so many................................... KOOPAS as a kid..."

Had he just woken up and quickly turned his blurry webcam on for this big reveal? 

Edited by Josh64
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

His enthusiasm in the Direct was also hilarious. "I stomped so many................................... KOOPAS as a kid..."

I was expecting to cringe during the trailer, but I could feel me folding into myself then.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

Jack Black as Bowser is fantastic, especially considering he's only ever grunted before besides his Mario Sunshine daddy voice.

Not quite true. Bowser actually has a couple spoken lines in Bowser's Inside Story.

Granted, they are single word utterances. But I always liked the way he says "Showtime" in that game. A nice guttural growl to it.

I’m pleasantly surprised by it, I love the look of it and the animations for Bowser when he talks where really good. As for the voice work, I liked all of it especially Bowser and Toad. I am unsure about Mario’s voice but I felt like I barely heard him enough to have much of an opinion on it.

Edited by Helmsly

sometimes the internet does good

This is also uncanny:

• Haha 2

Has the voice of the Penguin King been revealed?

Is it your man that plays The King in Walking Dead?