NEurope
Glen-i

Nintendo Direct: The Super Mario Bros. Movie - October 6th, 9:05 pm

It's a nice poster but there's something about Mario's texture that just looks off 

Also this:

• Haha 1

Mario's texture is really strange indeed, I actually thought it was a in-costume mascot at Nintendo World at a quick first glance before I read the title 

FeOv_FhX0AEF2zL?format=jpg&name=medium

Just so we can see the full picture. 

His gloves seem to be made of cotton. Otherwise I don't see what's so weird about the textures? 

Wow that’s a stunning poster. 

Mario looks fine to me. Though if we’re talking textures it is a little weird seeing the Mario World style hills have an actual grassy look to them!

Excited to finally see what this is like. 

Edited by Ronnie

The look of the movie was never what concerned me. It's how Mario sounds that worries me.

On the plus side, I'm still eager to hear Jack Black tackle Bowser. That's good casting.

43 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Otherwise I don't see what's so weird about the textures? 

I think mostly the fact there are textures for one. 

But even compared to his Smash appearance where his clothes looked like fabric here he kind of looks like a beanie baby but it's not helped by the fact we can't see his skin. 

I'm sure it's one of those things where it looks more 'normal' in motion. 

That poster is making me desperate for a new 3D Mario game. Maybe a cross between 3D World's obstacle course design and Odyssey's openness... somehow... ::shrug:

It does look like they're plushies, making me think that Mario starts out human but turns into a toy when he arrives in the Mushroom Kingdom

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

That poster is making me desperate for a new 3D Mario game. Maybe a cross between 3D World's obstacle course design and Odyssey's openness... somehow... ::shrug:

You know you just described Bowser's Fury, right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

nintendodirect06102022banner.620x0.webp

Nintendo Direct to be broadcast on 06/10/2022

Now up on the main page.

There will be a full roundup article... of the trailer, some time on Thursday evening.

No way of knowing if it's genuine until tomorrow evening but ummm no thanks. Again, maybe better in motion but there's just something off about the proportions 

I dunno, the dungarees look too denim in that. It might be the lighting though.

Dear god it's worse than the original movie Sonic character! Nintendo will never live this down! Sell your stocks now!

• Haha 1

My first thought was 'yep, that looks like Mario' 

FeSM2JuVsAAoikP.jpeg

The head does seem rounder though, and the arms shorter (maybe?). Funny how we're so sensitive to these little changes after all these years.

Also a polo neck! Dear lord. Cancel this film now!

Edited by Ronnie

Yeah I think it's just a few different little things making up a whole that's a little 'off'. The smaller eyes (and the fact they curve before reaching the edge), the bottom of his face looks a bit wider and the lighter moustache colour. Plus the teeth also look like they're more detailed but I think that's just the shadow/picture quality.

But it could very well be the angle and could look better in motion.

Personally I think I'm just so excited to be getting a big budget animated Mario feature film, with all the little nods and easter eggs in it, to be too fussed about a slightly off character model. That poster is so nice looking I'm pretty much all in at this point, even if it's only for the visuals and easter eggs than the actual story itself. Still, that could all change tomorrow night I suppose :grin:

They've obviously changed him to look more like Crisp Rat.

That "new" face is looking very Hoskins-esque, a fitting tribute.

Also fingers crossed for a Captain Toad spin off

24 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Personally I think I'm just so excited to be getting a big budget animated Mario feature film, with all the little nods and easter eggs in it, to be too fussed about a slightly off character model. That poster is so nice looking I'm pretty much all in at this point, even if it's only for the visuals and easter eggs than the actual story itself. Still, that could all change tomorrow night I suppose :grin:

Oh yeah I'm not fussed really, but this is what happens when you have time to fill!

Curious to see what they do with it. I'm not even expecting anything great but want to see how it turns out.

And in terms of easter eggs this video does a good job of pointing out some of the smaller stuff:

• Thanks 1

Another leak, same image of Mario as above but a direct shot which makes him look a tad more like his in-game character? Also Peach and the film's nice looking title logo.

Spoiler

1665050290534103.png

Edited by Ronnie

They've probably had to adjust his face so that it doesn't look too creepy when talking. Or maybe they did some facial capture of Crisp Rat saying his lines, and this design works best with that.

Well, Jack Black as Bowser is completely fucking perfect; as expected.

But holy shit! Chris Pratt as Mario is utterly fucking awful!

Somehow, Kamek sounds even worse though, fuck me! Jesus Christ!

Edited by Dcubed