NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Tales of Symphonia Remastered (Switch, PS4, Xbox - 2023)

Looks like the PS3 version, so might be a pretty lazy port. 

Will have to wait for more information. Interested in playing this again, but I could also just fire up my Game Cube version ::shrug: 

I swear, if this still isn't the 60 FPS version the GameCube one got, I'm gonna be very annoyed!

• Thanks 1

It was a surprise, but not a good one. It looks cheap (at least put some effort in a real remake), and as a Nintendo fan I've been waiting for a new Tales game since Tales of Symphonia 2, but we've never gotten one. I'll skip this one.

Man, I remember this game looking a lot better than this!

I love this game and would absolutely kill for a full remake but this just looks meh.

11 minutes ago, Ike said:

I would have thought it would be based on the Steam port, but that was 30FPS.

Every port after the initial release has been based on the PS2 version, which was 30 FPS, and it's infuriating!

• Thanks 1

I understand the scepticism (I've been holding off on purchasing the Steam version for the those same reasons). I'm happy to see Symphonia again, but this needs to be properly done.

And that device on the Triet Base needs to become a Gamecube again.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one shocked by the look of this. It looks terrible. But I have fond memories of the game (the first one at least) so I was pleasantly surprised at first.

30FPS = No buy.

Simple as that.  If you can’t make it play as good as the GCN original, then don’t fucking bother Namco.

Edited by Dcubed

5 hours ago, Eddage said:

Man, I remember this game looking a lot better than this!

I love this game and would absolutely kill for a full remake but this just looks meh.

It DID used to look better than this.  All of the HD versions are based on the inferior PS2 port (which runs at half the frame rate of the GCN original and features downgraded visuals).

The extra content isn’t worth it when the core gameplay is worse than the 60FPS GCN original.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

The game's official site has confirmed it will be 1080p and run at 30FPS. This is for all versions of the game.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weird 1
  • Angry 1

If they weren't going to give me a remake of Graces f, then I would Symphonia/Abyss.

But don't call something a remaster if it's just a port. I'm half tempted not to bother, but I know I probably will. 

I just can't say no to Tales of Symphonia, been a good few years since my last playthrough of it and I was only thinking not so long ago I would love to play it again so I will likely definitely be getting this.

Has it been confirmed if it will be digital only or if there will be a physical release? (Hopefully with a Collectors Edition set with some nice goodies)

22 hours ago, Mokong said:

I just can't say no to Tales of Symphonia, been a good few years since my last playthrough of it and I was only thinking not so long ago I would love to play it again so I will likely definitely be getting this.

Has it been confirmed if it will be digital only or if there will be a physical release? (Hopefully with a Collectors Edition set with some nice goodies)

There is a special edition, but it's with stickers, some prints and a steelbook*

*aka bullshit

On 9/18/2022 at 6:04 PM, EEVILMURRAY said:

There is a special edition, but it's with stickers, some prints and a steelbook*

*aka bullshit

Yeah those don't sound like nice goodies :( 

Seems that GVG posted a video about the release history of ToS:

Just in case you weren't aware of why some of us are sceptical of its recent releases, this video sums it up quite nicely.

• Thanks 3

Yup.  It’s just not good enough.  They needed to go back to the original GCN version’s codebase and start the port again from scratch.  The PS2 version’s codebase is simply too compromised.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest this. They should have their asses sued for even calling this a "remaster"

Absolute total POS.  Total garbage port.

Don't give Namco your money for this trash.  Just stick with your Gamecube copy.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Don't give Namco your money for this trash.  Just stick with your GameCube copy.

I saw this video also. After watching the one I posted it cemented my decision not to bother (unless it goes below a tenner on eShop) with this. After the first impression of hoping maybe we'd get future style full arena combat, it lessened to it to be just a lazy port, with minor graphical tweaks. It is that, and more. Unfortunately the more portion is just glaring pacing screens, lagging loading (and if I was hearing it right no English dub on the skits?!). And all that overlay stuff mentioned in your video, not much of it made much sense but it didn't sound good. It literally seems like they haven't added anything, and have actively taken stuff away.

Metroid Prime comes in and goes POW with an actual remastered version of a game. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dcubed said:

That was already evident from the trailer.

• Like 1