NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Octopath Traveler II (Switch, PS4/5, PC - 24th Feb 2023)

S-E are really cranking out these 2D-HD games. Bring them on.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Awww yeah! That mobile gacha prequel can suck it!

All in for more job based, "4 slots is not enough" shenanigans!

Interesting that the 8 base jobs remain the same as the original.  Figured they’d change it up.

Anyway, game looks amazing! So glad that this game finally exists; it was announced like 3-4 years ago!

On 14/09/2022 at 12:06 AM, Dcubed said:

Interesting that the 8 base jobs remain the same as the original.  Figured they’d change it up.

Funny you mention that, because I had a read through the Press Kit, and it seems that each character has a few extra nuances to help make them more distinctive.

For example, the Warrior? Well, he can can actually learn skills from NPCs he challenges! The guy is a mother effing Blue Mage! The other 7 don't get access to this, even if they were to use the Warrior Job as a secondary one!

Meanwhile, the Dancer's skills get additional effects depending on which NPC she has allured.

Some other details I gleamed from it...

- As well as the unique skills I mentioned above, each of the 8 characters get a sort of "Limit Break". This guage gets built up by taking damage or breaking enemies. Which Limit Break you get depends on who uses it. Dancer, for example, can use it to make her dances affect the entire party for a while.

- As hinted in the Direct, Field Actions change depending on the time of day. The Warrior can challenge NPC's during the day, but at night, this changes to Bribery, where you can pay them for information.

- In response to the "These characters don't interact" criticism the first game got, there are optional side stories where two of the 8 characters join up for an adventure.

- You could see this in the trailer, but the animation has gotten a lot more elaborate, with party members doing far more acrobatic feats, and enemies having actual attack animation.

Can I have this game now, please? I need it!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

A Collector's Edition was also announced for Switch, PS4, and PS5:

The Collector's Goods Box includes a set of gorgeous bust figures depicting the game's eight travelers, a lavishly bound art book with a full-page spread of illustrations, and a CD containing extended music not included in the soundtrack. These limited items will be packaged and delivered in a Collector's Box which prominently features the game's package art.

Seems to only be available at the moment from the Square Enix Store, priced at £169.99. 

Looks good, but it was always to struggle to live up to the first game's pop-up:

81qqRRgrFBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

51 minutes ago, Julius said:

Looks good, but it was always to struggle to live up to the first game's pop-up:

I prefer the new one (I don't like the pop-up book and I do like the artbook), but I'll skip this one as well as I have no use for the busts.

This is simply what I want from a CE: artbook, physical soundtrack, and a nice box around it. I don't need anything else. Small trinkets like a pin are fine though I can do without. If you do a figure (and thefore increase the price by a lot), it needs to be high quality, and most aren't I believe.

I wonder will the Dancer still have that move that give random effects including EXP x 100 I managed to hit that a few times in the first game, it was ridiculous and I loved it haha.

46 minutes ago, Mokong said:

I wonder will the Dancer still have that move that give random effects including EXP x 100 I managed to hit that a few times in the first game, it was ridiculous and I loved it haha.

That’s like the entire reason why the Dancer job even exists lol. Bewildering Grace had better be in this game!

• Haha 2