NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Fire Emblem Engage (20th Jan 2023)

sbHwayX.png

FcinJgiWIAA5mFF?format=jpg&name=large

The leaks all those months ago were right. Game looks great, despite the weird coloured hair. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Started off looking more like a traditional Fire Emblem (more than Three Houses) then they showed the Tokyo Mirage-esk fusion system.

Funny because earlier I it actually crossed my mind if they were going to somehow shoe-horn in Lyn and low and behold, there she is (kinda). I didn't know anything about the leaks.

This is actually coming much earlier than I would like since I need another playthrough of Three Houses and probably at least 2 more for Three Hopes. And Pokémon is coming up.

So, that picture with Toothpaste girl was real? Hilarious!

Nice to get a new Smash character reveal!

I never expected the leak to be real. Goddayum. Welcome to the series, PepsiMan and ColgateGirl.

Some loose thoughts:

• I love the graphics, but I'm not too much into the aesthetics. This has the side effect of making Marth and Celica look GORGEOUS, but I'm iffier on the new characters;
  • That said, the artwork is very pretty and good looking, love the colours;
  • Definitely not a fan of the lamps;
  • Hate the name of the game too;
  • Not feeling the stand/persona system. We already have FE Heroes for celebrations, and I didn't like how Awakening handled the einherjar, either. So it's a concept I fundamentally dislike;
  • The mural at the beginning shows Lucina with a bow, as well as Ike with Urvan. Neat;
  • Fell Dragon was already Grima, so what the hell is that moniker!?;
  • Incidentally, the Fell Dragon has blue highlights on the right side, red highlights on the left. So that's an obvious twist;
  • The best FETuber (Faerghast) noticed that there's a lot of pure French nomenclature in the trailer. That's legit fun stuff.

As of right now, I'm still lukewarm on the game. I'm fine with waiting for this one right now.

But good trailer though. Informative and... engaging.

Edited by Jonnas

Wow! Koei-Tecmo isn’t involved? That’s a shocker!

And it… actually looks like a real Fire Emblem game and not a dating simulator with some SRPG action on the side? Well fuck me sideways! I might well actually be interested in a Fire Emblem game again! :D

For those who are interested, here's a pretty good breakdown of the trailer:

The Japanese Fire Emblem twitter account is already posting character profiles and gameplay clips.

I wish there will be skins for the main character, because I honestly can't stand that combination of colors. If they'd been more subtle, or toned down, or just one of them be toned down, I could probably roll with it. But they're both too... dominant to work together. Ugh.

Monk class can use "qigong" martial arts, so Monks aren't completely useless outside of healing.

What's also interesting is that the text "break" appears and you see the archer has dropped their weapons. Is that a way to disarm enemy units?

It should be noted, the typical healing class is called "Cleric" (also "Priest" or "Troubadour", but these are clearly not her case). If she's classified as a "Monk", then that should explain why she seems to be more combat-focused. Amusingly, with the use of knuckles/gauntlets with some healing magic on the side, this class sounds a lot like traditional Final Fantasy monks as well.

(Curiously, the "Monk" class has only been used so far to refer to the offensive White Mages of the GBA era, Lucius and Artur. The Engage!Monk is clearly something new, even if it shares the same name)

I hope it's not as easy as "You can choose to Break an opponent, and so you do", otherwise that would trivialise most threats.

But if it's a random chance of happening (like with crits), I think that'll be fine.

So those rings work just like Pokéballs, huh?

Not much else to say, besides... expect a "Fallen Marth" in FE Heroes soon :heh:

Story seems very Fire Emblemy. Some good character designs. Looks like we're getting some actual cutscenes.

41 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

So those rings work just like Pokéballs, huh?

Not much else to say, besides... expect a "Fallen Marth" in FE Heroes soon :heh:

Spoiler

More like Ow the Edge Marth.

• Haha 1

Nintendo Japan dropped a video detailing some battle mechanics and also shows Corrin, (the wrong) Byleth and Lyn.

The Japanese Fire Emblem account has a thread for the text based coverage.

Finally! Some proper gameplay footage! And it looks… pretty superb :hehe:

The Emblem Rings system looks like a neat twist on the Pair-Up mechanic and the previous equipable skills of past games.  Lots of strategic options and unique combinations, I like the look of it! (Celica looks busted with her essentially granting you Warp lol; and as @Glen-i can attest to, it’s only fitting that Celica grants Warp, considering how utterly broken it is in Shadows of Valentia :laughing:).

I like the focus on terrain effects that they’ve got going here.  Something quite different for the series, and something that the series hasn’t really explored too much before :)

Everything I’ve seen so far about this game looks great! And the release is very well timed too, since I’m just coming to the end of my playthrough of Shadows of Valentia (write-up to come in the Gaming Diary thread, but short spoilers? It’s awesome!)

Really looking forward to FE Engage now :D

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

(Celica looks busted with her essentially granting you Warp lol; and as @Glen-i can attest to, it’s only fitting that Celica grants Warp, considering how utterly broken it is in Shadows of Valentia :laughing:).

OK, that's hilarious! And ironic, seeing as Alm's army is the one that gets Warp.

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I like the look of it! (Celica looks busted with her essentially granting you Warp lol; and as @Glen-i can attest to, it’s only fitting that Celica grants Warp, considering how utterly broken it is in Shadows of Valentia :laughing:).

You're not allowed to mention that game until you've played it!

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dcubed said:

it’s only fitting that Celica grants Warp, considering how utterly broken it is in Shadows of Valentia :laughing:

It's more a reference to the witches, I feel. They be warping all over the place.

FE Fates did the same with one of its DLC Witch class, which could rewarp to nearby allies at will.

I like the focus on terrain effects that they’ve got going here.  Something quite different for the series, and something that the series hasn’t really explored too much before :)

You mean Corrin's ability? That's something she (as well as a handful of other units) could already do in Fates.

I’m just coming to the end of my playthrough of Shadows of Valentia

05034b0659993f2bda90c5999272c49eeb96f27a

Edited by Jonnas
  • Haha 2

fireemblemengageengagingemblemstrailerbanner.620x0.webp

Fire Emblem Engage Shows Engaging With Emblems Trailer

Now up on the main page.

An engaging trailer, indeed.

Sign in to follow this