NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

RUMOUR: Amazon to purchase Electronic Arts, to be announced today (USA Today) [UPDATE: LIES & SLANDER]

So, yeah, according to USA Today's sources, Amazon are going to announce the purchase of Electronic Arts today:

Am I jumping the gun by making a thread about this? Probably. But I think it'll be fun to watch and track the fallout either way :p more seriously, I just don't get why USA Today would stick their neck out like this if there wasn't some sort of smoke here. 

While I don't think more corporate consolidation is good for anyone...I think we've talked on here for a while now about how EA or Ubisoft are likely next, and while, again, screw corporate acquisitions, it's about time someone but Microsoft in the Western space actually made a move like this. 

It'd be a big move for Luna, Amazon have the infrastructure to expand their cloud gaming and this would obviously be a huge get. I've got to imagine this could be the move, if it's actually happening, which actually sees other big guns like Apple and Google start bidding on the remaining big publishers over here in the West, like Take Two or Ubisoft. 

Edited by Julius

If EA Play becomes part of Amazon Prime, and if EA Play is part of Xbox Gamepass... Fuck?

Considering it's taken years for EA to improve their reputation (or perhaps those around them just got worse?) being bought by Amazon could take them back to how they used to be.

On the flip side, I'd love a Command & Conquer TV show.  Not that I have much confidence with Amazon's Prime output.

Sign in to follow this