NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Prey (A Predator Film Out Now On Disney+)

This is out now on Disney+. Official trailer below:

I saw this last night and thought it deserved its own thread. (fuck the megathreadssssss)

Oh my absolute god, what a film! :bouncy:It far exceeded my expectations. It's a damn good film in its own right. GORGEOUS cinematography. The fight scenes were superb and...it's just an overall very satisfying film.

Holy shit, we got a legitimately great Predator film. Can't quite believe it.

Everyone watch it.

Finally got around to watching this yesterday with @Goafer and I enjoyed it. Mostly just a fun Predator movie with maybe a slightly by the numbers story. Only real issue that stood out to both of us was the dialogue choices. A lot of it felt very modern for 1719.

On 21/08/2022 at 2:38 PM, Happenstance said:

Finally got around to watching this yesterday with @Goafer and I enjoyed it. Mostly just a fun Predator movie with maybe a slightly by the numbers story. Only real issue that stood out to both of us was the dialogue choices. A lot of it felt very modern for 1719.

Glad you liked it. I had a wicked time with it and it far surpassed my expectations.

Regarding the dialogue, there is an option for a Comache dub, which does sound interesting. I do wonder if this was the creators not trying to alienate too much of the audience and to get the balance right between authenticity and accessibility for such a wide audience. I'd say that they got the balance right overall.

I do agree that the story was simple, but I liked that. It didn't get too convoluted and ridiculous. Sometimes action films can throw in ridiculous twists or the story can go in a weird direction just for the sake of trying to keep the film exciting. I like that it's kept simple and straightforward, but I feel they executed it well.

Only thing annoying for me is that they didn't give this a wide cinema release. Would've loved to have seen this on the big screen.

Was it Predator 2 that this links with? I know one of them we see an older weapon (possibly the pistol not Aubrey Plaza has at the end) which is explained as having been a gift after a big Predator battle.

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Was it Predator 2 that this links with? I know one of them we see an older weapon (possibly the pistol not Aubrey Plaza has at the end) which is explained as having been a gift after a big Predator battle.

That film is so underrated. I love how it's an ordinary bloke (Danny Glover) who needs to step up and be the hero, rather than an over the top action star. 

I still need to watch Prey. I have some extra days off from work over the bank holiday and so I may sit down and finally get it watched.

• Like 1

I think if you ignore the AvP movies then I would says The Predator is probably the only dud of the lot. It's surprisingly consistent.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I think if you ignore the AvP movies then I would says The Predator is probably the only dud of the lot. It's surprisingly consistent.

Baffles me how they have yet to make a decent AvP film. There have been numerous comics and books that have been able to tell a decent story involving them both but the movie industry just can't get it right.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Baffles me how they have yet to make a decent AvP film. There have been numerous comics and books that have been able to tell a decent story involving them both but the movie industry just can't get it right.

It'd have to be a reboot if they tried it again, I think the Alien prequels have now messed up their timeline. To be honest Predator 2 probably has issues now with the alien skull as well.

Just now, Happenstance said:

It'd have to be a reboot if they tried it again, I think the Alien prequels have now messed up their timeline. To be honest Predator 2 probably has issues now with the alien skull as well.

That was such a cool moment. It was one of those schoolyard discussions that were had if you were able to get away with watching these movies at that age. 

• Like 1

Always surprised me that Predator 2 got a very mixed reaction. I thought it was pretty good! It was different enough compared to the first film, but built on the lore and the ideas of the Predator, and had some very memorable moments. Thought the story was pretty interesting enough, too. I don't think it felt too ridiculous.

The first AvP is very frustrating, because it's got some neat ideas and set pieces. But...the run-time is frustratingly short and it is very tame, considering the other films that take place in the series. 

Saying that, the second AvP is truly fucking awful. I went to watch this with a mate (we were both hungover after a heavy night out) and he feel asleep, and I was internally shouting at the screen the entire time. It's so bad. 

I miss being young and watching stuff I shouldn't have been 😆 I remember watching Robocop and being scarred for life when he's gunned down!

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I miss being young and watching stuff I shouldn't have been 😆 I remember watching Robocop and being scarred for life when he's gunned down!

Robocop is a film that every kid got to see despite it's age rating. I remember watching both Robocop and Robocop 2 back to back at a friends house while his parents were out for the day. The same friend also had a sleepover where we watched Total Recall. The quote "You make me wish I had 3 hands." was forever burned into my memory after that night. :D 

I still have to look away when I watch Robocop, when Murphy gets killed. It's the hand getting blown off that does it. It's mad how films have evolved and the tech has changed, yet that still grosses me out.

CGI has gotten very impressive over the years but I'll still always prefer prosthetics, squibs, models etc in my movies.

God I miss 80s movies. It's like that entire decade was a genre to itself.

Agreed.

I was talking to one of my brothers the other day about 80s and 90s films and how they felt so different compared to what we have now. Yeah, the action and dialogue was cheesy but there was something about them that pulled you in. I think a lot of it had to do with the sets, effects and props being real as opposed to everything being computer generated. I mean, just look at one of the sets that was built for Big Trouble in Little China.

tumblr_plyf2pZ7sW1x6m6njo1_1280.jpg

behind-the-scenes-of-john-carpenters-big

There were countless examples like this during that era of film.

You also had movies that had amazing soundtracks which made them more memorable. Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Over the Top, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future etc. You'd watch a movie and then go out and buy the soundtrack as well. I used to love it when they used a licensed song and came with a music video that showed clips of the movie. Everything I Do by Bryan Adams was amazing not just for the song but also because you got to see snippets of Prince of Thieves as well. 

• Like 1

Whoohooo, we're talking about movies.

Oh...80s and 90s movies...

YOU'RE OLD :p 

I always want to watch those huge movies from that time but I never get around to it.

Never seen the likes of Top GunGhostbustersBack to the Future. Maybe as a wee lad, but I can't remember.

• Sad 1

The one thing I have noticed now is that there's a trend starting to bring back practical effects and use them in concert with CGI. Star Wars productions seem to have been a good example of this and it's something I'm happy to see happening.

Just now, drahkon said:

Never seen the likes of Top GunGhostbustersBack to the Future. Maybe as a wee lad, but I can't remember.

FIX THIS RIGHT NOW. 

Turn off your PS5 and watch at least one of these movies...unless you use your PS5 to stream stuff then leave it on. :D 

Just now, drahkon said:

Whoohooo, we're talking about movies.

Oh...80s and 90s movies...

YOU'RE OLD :p 

I always want to watch those huge movies from that time but I never get around to it.

Please start a thread where you watch these movies and we will gladly talk to you about them for hours.

The one thing I have noticed now is that there's a trend starting to bring back practical effects and use them in concert with CGI. Star Wars productions seem to have been a good example of this and it's something I'm happy to see happening.

Yup. I was happy to see more practical effects being used in the newer Star Wars movies. I think they age much better than cheap CGI. The CGI stuff in Episode I and II looks very rough these days.

Please start a thread where you watch these movies and we will gladly talk to you about them for hours.

I wouldn't even know which of these he should watch first. There are all amazing films.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. I was happy to see more practical effects being used in the newer Star Wars movies. I think they age much better than cheap CGI. The CGI stuff in Episode I and II looks very rough these days.

Yeah, something like Jurassic Park is a perfect example of this. The mixture of CGI and animatronics still holds up today in comparison to much newer CGI only movies.

That's a good idea. Not in the mood for a movie right now, though :p 

I'll think of something in the coming days. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this