NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2022/23

Can't not post the comunicado oficial:

Nutty transfer. No idea if it'll pay off - it's still absolutely nuts that the reaction to United signing objectively world class players these days is seriously questioning if it'll actually even work - but that sure is one hell of a signing, the best CDM around at the moment and arguably has been the best to come through and stick around in the last decade. 

I still can't believe a few days ago it was going to be Rabiot they were going for as their main midfield target with De Jong not wanting to leave Barça. It's absolutely barmy. 

I honestly think United need to go the Arsenal route, promote youth and long-term gains for a better future, they've thrown obscene amounts of money at players and most of them have flopped.

Most people question why so much money on a 30-year-old. But it's a signal of the desperate situation Manchester United find themselves in. Having to overspend to put a band aid over a severed limb (potentially, he might not flop).

1 hour ago, Emerald Emblem said:

I honestly think United need to go the Arsenal route, promote youth and long-term gains for a better future, they've thrown obscene amounts of money at players and most of them have flopped.

Most people question why so much money on a 30-year-old. But it's a signal of the desperate situation Manchester United find themselves in. Having to overspend to put a band aid over a severed limb (potentially, he might not flop).

I completely disagree with that second part. United badly need a quality defensive midfielder, and they've bought arguably the best one on the planet. Fernandinho was about 28 when he signed for City. Makele was 30. Thiago Alcantara was 29 (I think). Nothing wrong with paying for a well established player, especially in a position that's crucial. This is a brilliant signing and nobody will turn away from the possibility of having Casemiro in their team. If Arsenal were signing him, we'd be calling them a top 4 certainty. 

United have definitely had flops, but Arsenal's 'route' hasn't really led them to the success that you think it has. You've still blown £72million on Pepe, who isn't even getting games these days. Your team isn't largely made up of academy or youth products. Saka qualifies in that regard, maybe Saliba and Martinelli (not sure you can count them), but all of the rest have been bought over the last few years. It's actually not that dissimilar to United's situation, as McTominay and Rashford have regularly been getting games and are from our academy system. Elanga, too. So, yes, United have spent much more, but the reality is that both approaches aren't as wildly different as you think. Let's look at Arsenal's league finishes.

2021-22: 5th

2020-21: 8th

2019-20: 8th

2018-19: 5th

2017-18: 6th

2016-17: 5th

2015-16: 2nd

2014-15: 3rd

One could easily look at those league finishes and suggest that Arsenal's strategy has taken them backwards. They've done well with the FA Cup wins, but have largely been on the fringes. I don't really see how you can say that United should adopt a similar strategy to Arsenal's, because they've done fuck all too, bar the FA Cups. Even that 2nd place finish, they were largely out of the race as that was between Leicester and Spurs.

Since Arteta has taken the reigns, and been backed in the transfer market, buying young and exciting younger talents and re-establishing a mentality, an exciting attacking brand of football and reconnecting the fans with the club, I'm filled with a new found sense of optimism with our future prospects, Post Wenger things haven't gone well for us since but it's finally looking like there is light at the end of the tunnel. United post Ferguson feel like they are caught in a vicious cycle that may once in a few seasons result in a distant second place finish. The amount of Money United have pissed away on big name players and managers that just haven't worked out, with a transfer strategy that is all over the place. You can't honestly say you have enjoyed seeing this?

3 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Since Arteta has taken the reigns, and been backed in the transfer market, buying young and exciting younger talents and re-establishing a mentality, an exciting attacking brand of football and reconnecting the fans with the club, I'm filled with a new found sense of optimism with our future prospects, Post Wenger things haven't gone well for us since but it's finally looking like there is light at the end of the tunnel. United post Ferguson feel like they are caught in a vicious cycle that may once in a few seasons result in a distant second place finish. The amount of Money United have pissed away on big name players and managers that just haven't worked out, with a transfer strategy that is all over the place. You can't honestly say you have enjoyed seeing this?

You're saying all this now and Arsenal fans are loving Arteta. Let's see how this season goes for you and what they think of him if he gets another 5th-8th place finish. Arsenal fans will love him if they think it's all going somewhere. Ironically, these were the fans who got on Wenger's back for 'just' achieving top 4. Things look good for you at the moment, with the Jesus signing and Saliba particularly looking great. But, the jury is still very much out. I still wouldn't put it past United to end up finishing above Arsenal this season.

United fans are pissed and tired of how the last decade has largely gone. But, we've finally got the right type of manager in place in Ten Hag, who wants to play progressive, attacking football. The players are a huge problem and there are so many that need replacing, because the recruitment and strategy has been shoddy. There are still too many gaps that need filling over the team and we are nowhere close to challenging for the league yet, but there is optimism that things are reaching a point where they have to change, especially with talk of the Glazers finally selling up and fucking off. But, despite all of this, the vast majority of fans are definitely not looking at Arsenal and wishing we could trade places with them and their situation. Arsenal may be improving gradually with their situation, but they're still very far away, too.

Amazing performance by the Toon. Getting 3 past City isn't an easy thing to do, just a shame they couldn't get the win. I'm sure the fans will be happy with getting a point from the game though.

Meanwhile, us Chelsea fans after losing 3-0 to Leeds:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9526cb9641e6fdf7149b

Outfought and out-thought. Mendy howler aside - and for the love of all that is good stop messing around at the back like that - Leeds thoroughly deserved the win. 

It's games like this where it's so plainly obvious (and has been the case since our last league win some 5 years ago to be fair) that we simply aren't going to be challenging for the title like we used to be, with all the finals we reach and occasional wins we get in those I'm reminded a bit of the early 2010s Real Madrid. Yeah, I know we've got a new owner now and obviously it'll take time to transition to a new structure, so I can't be too harsh, but Tuchel saying in an interview before the Spurs game last week that he didn't even know what the objective for the season really was doesn't exactly fill me with confidence ::shrug:

Crazy day for football, and a very interesting start to this season. It's a hard to predict the results. I would've had Chelsea and City down to win their games and maybe for West Ham to get something, too.

West Ham are going under the radar a little, but they're looking pretty bad. Similar story with Leicester, too. Watching Wolves' game yesterday, I thought they generally played well, but lacked a striker or somebody up front to put the chances away. The running theme with the bottom 5 of Everton, Wolves, Leicester, United, and West Ham is that all of these teams look like they find it very difficult to score goals. 

Nervous for tonight's game. I really can't call it. I've changed my prediction on this about 8 times. On the one hand, we are godawful to watch at the moment and can barely string passes together. On the other, form can sometimes go out of the window in these types of games. But then again, we don't really look like we've got enough players right now who can raise their game and turn it on to make it a feisty encounter. But also, Liverpool are still feeling their way into this season, too.
:shakehead
Tempted to say it'll be a draw. We badly need to get a goal and create good chances of our own. It'll look a bit rubbish if we go three games with our only goal being an own goal.

1-1, I think. There's even a small part of me that thinks that we can even narrowly sneak this 1-0 or 2-1. I really can't call it. I'm also being overly optimistic...There's also a major part of me that thinks we'll get thumped 4 or 5-0 again.

Yeah I'm really not sure how its gonna go. Usually I would have said we'd easily win but the start of this season has been so rocky that I just don't know.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah I'm really not sure how its gonna go. Usually I would have said we'd easily win but the start of this season has been so rocky that I just don't know.

That's part of the reason I feel like we could get something. We're awful at the moment, but it also looks like a semi-decent time to play Liverpool.

Ask me in an hour, and the prediction will change again. Both teams need the win tbh, a draw doesn't really help either.

Thank God we started showing at least something by the end of that 1st half as those first 39 mins or so Liverpool were terrible. Man U absolutely deserve to be in the lead.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Thank God we started showing at least something by the end of that 1st half as those first 39 mins or so Liverpool were terrible. Man U absolutely deserve to be in the lead.

Agreed. We've carried on from our awful performances in our first two games. So many mistakes when we are passing the ball. Our midfield is a mess.

Oooof, that moment when Fernandes twatted it into Martinez. No idea what he was doing there! I love the guy, but he seems to lose all footballing ability the closer he gets to our goal. :shakehead

Martinez has been our best player. Varane and Malacia have looked great, too. Liverpool are probably going to score a goal in the second half, so it's down to us to get another. I don't see this staying 1-0.

I still fully expect Liverpool to win this game but that first half was the best I've seen United play for such a long time! Amazing what a bit of energy and enthusiasm gets you!

I like playing with both Eriksen and Fernandes, supported by a holding midfielder. Once Casemiro replaces McTominay we might have something resembling a competent midfield. 

5 minutes ago, Eddage said:

I still fully expect Liverpool to win this game but that first half was the best I've seen United play for such a long time! Amazing what a bit of energy and enthusiasm gets you!

I like playing with both Eriksen and Fernandes, supported by a holding midfielder. Once Casemiro replaces McTominay we might have something resembling a competent midfield. 

I predicted a 1-1 initially, which I'm tempted to stick with. I don't think we've got the energy/fitness levels to do what we did in the first 30 for the entirety of the game. We dropped off towards the end of the first half, which was quite noticeable, I thought. 

Not sure I agree with that onside but given we don't particularly deserve anything I can't complain too much 😭

I thought that was offside looking at Rashford's feet! God bless that shoulder :bouncy:

I'll take that all day long, but...how the fuck is that onside?! :laughing:

It's a silly rule/law that nobody understands anymore. I guess according to the current interpretation, he's onside. But...I can't agree with that.

At least with VAR and the line drawing it is (theoretically) the same for everyone, even if the offside law itself could do with some tweaking!

1 minute ago, Eddage said:

At least with VAR and the line drawing it is (theoretically) the same for everyone, even if the offside law itself could do with some tweaking!

Somebody on Match of the Day (think it might have been Danny Murphy or Gary Lineker) said that they should judge offside by the feet and use that as a marker. Kinda makes sense. It's nonsense the way it all currently works. 

"Ohhhh, his arse is playing him on!"

Martinez has been unreal! Love him already.

• Like 1

That's a clear booking and in turn send off for keeping hold of the ball this long :nono: