NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Football Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Been a while since I last joined in the fantasy league so I'm in.

Yes, bruvvvv. 

I've thrown Jesus in, which is a pretty solid transfer from Arsenal's point of view. Wouldn't be so surprised if they got into the top 4 and can imagine them having a good season. Feel like they're one or two signings off, but there's promise within their team.

6 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Yes, bruvvvv. 

I've thrown Jesus in, which is a pretty solid transfer from Arsenal's point of view. Wouldn't be so surprised if they got into the top 4 and can imagine them having a good season. Feel like they're one or two signings off, but there's promise within their team.

Yeah I've got Jesus as well. I'm also gonna take a chance on Nunez. I'm hoping he becomes the solid replacement for Mane with lots of goals.

19 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah I've got Jesus as well. I'm also gonna take a chance on Nunez. I'm hoping he becomes the solid replacement for Mane with lots of goals.

I was slightly surprised at first that Liverpool were going to let Mane go, but it makes more sense the more you look into it. 30 years old, so Liverpool have already seen him at his best and he's already won everything he can with the club. Think it'll be a good move in the long run and the timing is right. 

This is an interesting signing:

Have to say that Chelsea's approach seems very scattergun-like in this window. They seem to be after everyone. Easily going to go over the £200million mark.

3 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

This is an interesting signing:

Have to say that Chelsea's approach seems very scattergun-like in this window. They seem to be after everyone. Easily going to go over the £200million mark.

The tweet from our Twitter admin confirming the deal was next level daylight murder and I love it (for context, Brighton came out and publicly denied reports, such as Fabrizio's, that Cucurella was going anywhere, to which Fabrizio doubled down). 

:laughing:

Also, I agree with you, it's been a very odd window in which I don't think we've really got anyone that we wanted as first choice. We missed out on De Ligt (though to be fair he seems a natural signing for Bayern) and Raphinha (to be fair to him if Barça is his dream club what can you do?); we've got Koulibaly in, but I'd say we still could do with another CB seeing as we lost both Rudi and Christensen; Sterling is a very odd signing for us in that while I'm sure he'll put in a shift, I just don't see what the thinking is there other than "well, we should sign someone to contribute to this almost nonexistent front line", but hopefully he proves me wrong; and somehow Azpi has ended up staying (I mean, I'm happy about it, but he was meant to be one of the first out of the door), and meanwhile we had more leftbacks than we know what to do with before, but now we've got Cucurella in the mix too (though, to be fair, he's been a FIFA Career Mode LB I've used since he was at Barça, so I guess I'm happy). Werner is potentially going to be on his way out through a loan too, so I have no idea. 

I think scattershot is honestly too light a word for it, I think we've been absolutely rudderless this summer after missing out on priority targets, and then have basically scrambled for whatever the leftovers have been. I know Marina has clashed with managers before, but seeing as we kept Tuchel, I think we should've fought to keep her if only for another season to avoid exactly what has happened; instead, we've had no transition, and despite knowing where the holes were going to be going into this summer since Abramovich's hand was forced to sell, we've ended up with one of the strangest summers I can remember for transfers ::shrug:

1 hour ago, Julius said:

The tweet from our Twitter admin confirming the deal was next level daylight murder and I love it (for context, Brighton came out and publicly denied reports, such as Fabrizio's, that Cucurella was going anywhere, to which Fabrizio doubled down). 

:laughing:

Also, I agree with you, it's been a very odd window in which I don't think we've really got anyone that we wanted as first choice. We missed out on De Ligt (though to be fair he seems a natural signing for Bayern) and Raphinha (to be fair to him if Barça is his dream club what can you do?); we've got Koulibaly in, but I'd say we still could do with another CB seeing as we lost both Rudi and Christensen; Sterling is a very odd signing for us in that while I'm sure he'll put in a shift, I just don't see what the thinking is there other than "well, we should sign someone to contribute to this almost nonexistent front line", but hopefully he proves me wrong; and somehow Azpi has ended up staying (I mean, I'm happy about it, but he was meant to be one of the first out of the door), and meanwhile we had more leftbacks than we know what to do with before, but now we've got Cucurella in the mix too (though, to be fair, he's been a FIFA Career Mode LB I've used since he was at Barça, so I guess I'm happy). Werner is potentially going to be on his way out through a loan too, so I have no idea. 

I think scattershot is honestly too light a word for it, I think we've been absolutely rudderless this summer after missing out on priority targets, and then have basically scrambled for whatever the leftovers have been. I know Marina has clashed with managers before, but seeing as we kept Tuchel, I think we should've fought to keep her if only for another season to avoid exactly what has happened; instead, we've had no transition, and despite knowing where the holes were going to be going into this summer since Abramovich's hand was forced to sell, we've ended up with one of the strangest summers I can remember for transfers ::shrug:

It does seem very messy, for the reasons that you say. The Koulibaly signing is a good one, a bit similar to the Thiago Silva signing. Only downside is that it's not really one for the long-term. However, Chelsea will just go in the market again next season and bring another one in. They do seem like one of those clubs now that will bring a player in for a few seasons and then move them on. It's not really seen a club for youth players, but rather players in their prime.

The Sterling one is a confusing one. I can't believe City let him go. All logic says he should do well at Chelsea, unless there's something Pep knows that we don't. 

Overall, I can't work out how Chelsea will do or what the football is going to look like. On the one hand, it's exciting to get signings. On the other hand, for a club that finished third last season (City and Liverpool dominated, so Chelsea were the best of the rest) it looks like the team is being dismantled. Still issues up front too, with Lukaku going and Werner not really looking amazing last season.  

Interesting game for Arsenal tonight. Saliba looks like a great player for them! On the whole, getting three points and a clean sheet in your first match, which is also away, is pretty good. Annoyingly so.

• Like 1

Not a great start to the season for Liverpool. I'm just glad we managed to pull back a draw. Haven't watched it yet but I heard the midfield were terrible.

The Pool were in snooze control today until Milner and Darwin were thrown on. Even for that last 30 mins when they started to threaten, Fulham didn't fold. 

A cuppa tea and Match of the Day. Ohhh yeah! :love:

Hope United do the business tomorrow and get a victory. Annoyed that we'll probably be starting with Fred + McTominay in midfield again. :cry:

Good result from us yesterday, not the most convincing of wins but we'll have to take it, obviously the team just doesn't feel complete at this point, but there hasn't been much time to integrate our new signings either. 

Curious if anyone has been keeping an eye on PSG's first couple of results this season? Because, even without Mbappé, they look seriously scary under Galtier – who knew that playing Messi centrally and actually making full use of their attacking fullbacks like Hakimi would have such an impact? Just two matches into the season and Messi and Neymar already have a combined total of 10 goals and assists. 

Also, Messi scored what I believe is his first bicycle kick goal (at 35!) to see their 5-0 victory last night, I think the closest he got before was a bicycle kick assist to Suarez back in the day? Well worth looking up if you haven't seen it, it's a wonderful goal. Even got the Clermont fans cheering!

A lot has been made about the World Cup's potential impact on the second half of the season - especially over here, given how big a part fitness and fatigue has played in finding a winner several times over the last few years - but I haven't really seen anyone talking about the flip side to this: all being well, their summer break being cut short by a couple of weeks aside, every player playing in Europe and going to the World Cup that isn't going in injured should be in as close to peak condition as it comes when the tournament kicks off in November. 

Screw Qatar, but I wouldn't be surprised if this World Cup ends up being as compelling as last year's Euro's - if not more so - because of this. 

Edited by Julius

10 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

A cuppa tea and Match of the Day. Ohhh yeah! :love:

Hope United do the business tomorrow and get a victory. Annoyed that we'll probably be starting with Fred + McTominay in midfield again. :cry:

Who's gonna be the first player to open the floodgates this season with the social media apologies. Or has Ten Hag banned those, can't remember the new rules and regs. :D 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Who's gonna be the first player to open the floodgates this season with the social media apologies. Or has Ten Hag banned those, can't remember the new rules and regs. :D 

Oh Christ, I hope we don't see any more of those messages this season.

"Hai fans. Am sorry. Will try harder.
PlEaSe HiT lIkE n SuBsCriBe!"

4 hours ago, Julius said:

Also, Messi scored what I believe is his first bicycle kick goal (at 35!) to see their 5-0 victory last night

Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond Bale was scoring a Messi-esque goal. They're calling it world class but I've seen better defending in the Irish League which is literally a farmers league.

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Oh Christ, I hope we don't see any more of those messages this season.

"Hai fans. Am sorry. Will try harder.
PlEaSe HiT lIkE n SuBsCriBe!"

It's looking like they're picking up where they left off. 

Ten Hag: Cristiano, get yourself down the touchline for a warm-up.
Ronaldo: Saunters down the side of the pitch, makes for the tunnel like butter wouldn't melt and off home. 
Ten Hag: Puffs cheeks and takes out his phone to draft the apology to the fans. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, darksnowman said:

Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond Bale was scoring a Messi-esque goal. They're calling it world class but I've seen better defending in the Irish League which is literally a farmers league.

It's looking like they're picking up where they left off. 

Ten Hag: Cristiano, get yourself down the touchline for a warm-up.
Ronaldo: Saunters down the side of the pitch, makes for the tunnel like butter wouldn't melt and off home. 
Ten Hag: Puffs cheeks and takes out his phone to draft the apology to the fans. 

Awful first half performance. I think many of us were excited to get some new faces in this Summer so we'd never have to see McTominay and Fred in midfield again. 

They hide. All the time. We can't play out from the back, because those two hide in midfield. We can't create chances, because those two can't move the ball forward and quickly enough. The engine of the team isn't working. We're not good enough to carry passengers and that's exactly what we're doing.

It's the right thing we need to wake us up. We need to go out and get some midfielders quickly. Should have done this already but have really fucked it this window.

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Awful first half performance. I think many of us were excited to get some new faces in this Summer so we'd never have to see McTominay and Fred in midfield again. 

They hide. All the time. We can't play out from the back, because those two hide in midfield. We can't create chances, because those two can't move the ball forward and quickly enough. The engine of the team isn't working. We're not good enough to carry passengers and that's exactly what we're doing.

It's the right thing we need to wake us up. We need to go out and get some midfielders quickly. Should have done this already but have really fucked it this window.

Thought Ten Hag would have instilled some confidence in them or at least put them through some drills so they have some ideas of what to do without being lost all the time... but nope. He needs time and resources though will need to show there's progress before long. 

Biggest surprise is probably that that's Brighton's first win at Old Trafford?? United must have been snatching draws off them until now.

4 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Thought Ten Hag would have instilled some confidence in them or at least put them through some drills so they have some ideas of what to do without being lost all the time... but nope. He needs time and resources though will need to show there's progress before long. 

Biggest surprise is probably that that's Brighton's first win at Old Trafford?? United must have been snatching draws off them until now.

You can't make chicken tikka masala out of chicken shit. 

There's only so many training cones you can get McTominay, Fred, Shaw, Dalot, and a few others to run around before you have to admit that they haven't got what it takes at the very top level. Ten Hag is a great coach, but every player has a limit. We've got too many players with low skill ceilings. We just need better quality players, or to stop persisting with the same ones over and over again who have run out of chances.

Saying all of this, it has to be recognised that Brighton also played very well and have a great coach who has got a tidy set of players who can play great football. They full deserved the win. 

United need to give ten Hag time regardless at this point, a minimum of one season in the same way that City stuck by Guardiola after his first season, when they "only" came third. Looking back on the comments from the likes of MOTD that season are absolutely hilarious, and I still don't understand for the life of me how they thought it would go any other way. I think the difference with City's approach, though, is they backed Pep to an absurd degree in the market, but that meant it only took one sort of off season and effectively four transfer windows to get the job done in making it his team. I think there's a lot more for United to do anyways due to their structure, but I also think they're going to take their sweet time in assembling the right team and getting deadwood out of the door. 

The bad part for United is that they don't have a history of doing this, they bring someone in, say "they've changed their approach", have a bit of a backdoor reshuffle and then don't stick by their managers when things go south or back them appropriately in the market. Considering the team he had, I would still say Mou gave United their best Premier League season, and then everyone was shocked when things went downhill when he wasn't backed in the market.

How do you bring Mourinho in and not plan to back him in the market? And, similarly, now with ten Hag, how do you bring in a manager with their own deep footballing philosophy and not give them the time they need? Pep was a more than proven commodity before coming to the Prem, and it still took him a whole season and four transfer windows to adjust; ten Hag is far from a proven commodity, so I genuinely think sticking by him for two seasons would be the sensible move. And yes, even if they only make Europa League again this season, because now they find themselves up against a talented Spurs squad who look reformed under Conte and is surprisingly getting the backing he's always been worth of, and Arsenal, I hate to say it, are looking primed for a great season. 

19 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

I don't think it's too shocking, a massive stadium like Old Trafford is always intimidating for smaller teams, and Brighton had a long hiatus from the first division. 

I think the more interesting thing is that United haven't been snatching draws at home against Brighton since they came up (I wouldn't say I thought they'd be snatching draws, but I definitely thought there would have been a draw amongst the results), but actually had a 100% record against them at home since they returned to the top tier in 2017; according to this, United haven't actually drawn with Brighton since 1992, which was a League Cup game, meaning they've never drawn since English football started (:p)

21 hours ago, Julius said:

I don't think it's too shocking, a massive stadium like Old Trafford is always intimidating for smaller teams, and Brighton had a long hiatus from the first division. 

I think the more interesting thing is that United haven't been snatching draws at home against Brighton since they came up (I wouldn't say I thought they'd be snatching draws, but I definitely thought there would have been a draw amongst the results), but actually had a 100% record against them at home since they returned to the top tier in 2017; according to this, United haven't actually drawn with Brighton since 1992, which was a League Cup game, meaning they've never drawn since English football started (:p)

Yeah, I heard an interview with one of the Brighton players on Friday and they said Old Trafford is always daunting. That much hasn't changed. Unfortunately for United, that twelfth man effect can only do so much before the XI on the pitch starts crumbling.

I would have had Brighton down as a team that was getting some joy on away days at Man U in recent years so there you are. Oh well, looks like that's yet another source of points gone for the red devils. :D 

17 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Yeah, I heard an interview with one of the Brighton players on Friday and they said Old Trafford is always daunting. That much hasn't changed. Unfortunately for United, that twelfth man effect can only do so much before the XI on the pitch starts crumbling.

I would have had Brighton down as a team that was getting some joy on away days at Man U in recent years so there you are. Oh well, looks like that's yet another source of points gone for the red devils. :D 

I'm finding your attention for our lot rather flattering. :love:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Guess I've been conditioned by the footy news I absorb where Man U is always the hot topic, win lose or draw. :( I'd love a good look at what Brighton did rather than "credit Brighton [or insert opposition team here], but United..." or some good early analysis on how Spurs are looking after Conte knackering them in pre-season vs this time last year with Nuno, or how are Newcastle looking and what's realistic for Newcastle this term? Are Everton as good as gone? Are Leicester going to be in freefall unless they get bodies in? Second season syndrome for Brentford?

These kinds of things get paid lip service at best then it's back to United. Like last year after the Liverpool and City games at Old Trafford, there was no in-depth look at the attacking prowess of those teams--that was brushed aside to get onto United... :zzz: 

Haven't plucked up the courage to check in on the fantasy footy as I know they were a bunch of duds. :shakehead 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

It's hard to look away from a trainwreck :p

More seriously, as a United fan, I'm curious: where do you stand on Ronaldo's goings-on? 

I'm seeing a lot of fans use his situation as a black hole for all of the other issues at the club (such as the lack of signings this transfer window - apparently you're now getting Rabiot?), and from the outside looking in, I couldn't blame him for wanting to leave for UCL football if that's he wants.

I've also seen some suggest he knew this would be the case at the end of last season, but I could easily imagine he was planning on staying if there was enough activity this summer to show that United wanted to get back to the top the same way he does, but there simply hasn't been.

Then there's also the matter of him losing a child, I could understand him not being in the right headspace for that reason alone, and also potentially wanting to return to Portugal because of that (such as a potential return to Sporting) to be closer to family. 

It's crazy seeing some fans and the occasional pundit act like he's the issue, especially considering how many goals he scored last season, which was probably the best season anyone's had in a United shirt outside of goal since Ibra left ::shrug: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

It's crazy seeing some fans and the occasional pundit act like he's the issue, especially considering how many goals he scored last season, which was probably the best season anyone's had in a United shirt outside of goal since Ibra left ::shrug: 

Heard Souness say they'd have finished 14th last season if you take Ronaldo's 18 goals out of the equation. Crazy.

6 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Guess I've been conditioned by the footy news I absorb where Man U is always the hot topic, win lose or draw. :( I'd love a good look at what Brighton did rather than "credit Brighton [or insert opposition team here], but United..." or some good early analysis on how Spurs are looking after Conte knackering them in pre-season vs this time last year with Nuno, or how are Newcastle looking and what's realistic for Newcastle this term? Are Everton as good as gone? Are Leicester going to be in freefall unless they get bodies in? Second season syndrome for Brentford?

These kinds of things get paid lip service at best then it's back to United. Like last year after the Liverpool and City games at Old Trafford, there was no in-depth look at the attacking prowess of those teams--that was brushed aside to get onto United... :zzz: 

Haven't plucked up the courage to check in on the fantasy footy as I know they were a bunch of duds. :shakehead 

I'm only taking the piss, don't worry. :laughing:

We're having a meltdown on the RedCafé forums at the moment. It's an utter mess. Wasted another transfer window.

1 minute ago, Julius said:

It's hard to look away from a trainwreck :p

More seriously, as a United fan, I'm curious: where do you stand on Ronaldo's goings-on? 

I'm seeing a lot of fans use his situation as a black hole for all of the other issues at the club (such as the lack of signings this transfer window - apparently you're now getting Rabiot?), and from the outside looking in, I couldn't blame him for wanting to leave for UCL football if that's he wants.

I've also seen some suggest he knew this would be the case at the end of last season, but I could easily imagine he was planning on staying if there was enough activity this summer to show that United wanted to get back to the top the same way he does, but there simply hasn't been.

Then there's also the matter of him losing a child, I could understand him not being in the right headspace for that reason alone, and also potentially wanting to return to Portugal because of that (such as a potential return to Sporting) to be closer to family. 

I've gone back and forth on the Ronaldo one. When he came in, it was a decent window with the Varane and Sancho signings alongside him, so I can't blame him for thinking that we were going to be stepping things up. Unfortunately, this window has been really poor and we've wasted it. We knew that we needed additional cm options, and we didn't do that. We knew that we needed more attacking options, and we didn't do that either. Generally, fans are pleased with the three signings that we've made so far, but there's just not enough of them. 9 out of the starting 11 were the same as last season, and many of them had very, very underwhelming seasons. 

At the same time, he is 37 and should not be our starting striker in the league, nor should he be our main attacking outlet. He's at that stage in his career where, despite his frankly immense physical condition, he probably hasn't got that many years left at the very top, and he wants to win more whilst he still has a chance. I can't fault him for having ambition. We are winning nothing right now. We're also fucked because we can't let him go as we haven't got enough squad depth to do so. Martial is now injured, Rashford isn't doing anything at all on the field, and Sancho is...I guess 'there'. We need goals.

Some of the names that we're being linked with right now is a joke. Rabiot is a hmmm signing. We're linked with Arnautovic?! It reeks of piss, tbh.

• Like 1