NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Tactics Ogre: Reborn - 11th Nov 2022 (PC, PS4/5, Switch)

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

One of the worst kept secrets in the industry has finally been shown.

I mean I'm excited, but that release date. Poor Tactics Ogre, being thrown out to the wolves of Ragnarök...

This is one of the games I bought on my Vita but felt more like something I'd want to experience on a bigger screen, so hell yeah! Now we just wait for Final Fantasy Tactics, which will be next year I guess? 

31 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Is this a Final Fantasy game?
Character art reminds me of FFXII.

It's not, but it definitely had some of the core team to be, as a lot of its style and direction is similar to the Ivalice stuff (Vagrant Story, XII, Final Fantasy Tactics) due to sharing some key same staff: directed by Yasumi Matsuno (director of Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, original director of XII alongside Hiroyuki Ito) and with art by Ahihiko Yoshida, who did work on most of these projects (alongside some others who crop up on a number of these projects; Yoshida has also worked on Bravely Default and NieR Automata, where you can also definitely see his style pouring through).

Matsuno still gets the occasional bit of work credited XIV, but his path nowadays reminds me a lot of Hiroyuki Ito's (director of Final Fantasy VI, IX, the other director of XII who stuck with it, and maybe more importantly remembered as the creator of ATB), as he's been shuffled into the background and has worked on much smaller projects for a while (hey, might be that they want to, but it's still crazy to think about having these legends on such comparably smaller projects). 

Also can we just laugh cry for a moment about the fact that Tactics Ogre is getting a modern console release before the classic Final Fantasy games and Chrono Trigger? 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, drahkon said:

Character art reminds me of FFXII.

Same director (Yasunori Matsuno) and much of the same staff worked on both games.

The original Final Fantasy Tactics (same universe as FF12) is also a direct gameplay (but not story) sequel to Tactics Ogre as well.  So yes, there is a shared lineage that directly connects Tactics Ogre to FF12.

Looking forward to this one.  Just hope it gets the boost of nitro it needs, because the core gameplay is great… but it’s so sllllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwwww!!!

Edited by Dcubed

10 hours ago, Julius said:

It's not, but it definitely had some of the core team to be, as a lot of its style and direction is similar to the Ivalice stuff (Vagrant Story, XII, Final Fantasy Tactics) due to sharing some key same staff: directed by Yasumi Matsuno (director of Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, original director of XII alongside Hiroyuki Ito) and with art by Ahihiko Yoshida, who did work on most of these projects (alongside some others who crop up on a number of these projects; Yoshida has also worked on Bravely Default and NieR Automata, where you can also definitely see his style pouring through).

Thanks for the info :peace: 

Do you just know these things or do you need to look stuff up before you post :p 

14 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Do you just know these things or do you need to look stuff up before you post :p 

I knew the general gist of its connections to Final Fantasy Tactics (and branching from that the other Ivalice projects) in that it was basically a progenitor to that project, but smaller details I like to fact check (for instance, Matsuno not sticking around was something which sounded right in my head, but if there's one thing I do best it's doubt myself :p). I read what I can on the history of games, it's always super interesting to get a general idea of how things have evolved, or in this case, what essentially one game branched off into, and who ended up where and working on what. Matsuno and Ito being sidelined is hard info to avoid just because a lot of Final Fantasy speculation threads, such as for XVI, often devolve into wanting Yoshi-P to get onboard or have one of the old guys step back into the spotlight. 

Anyways, fact checking more often than not leads to me discovering other cool details I wasn't aware of (such as Yoshida's involvement on Bravely Default and NieR, if I had to guess I would've said that was Minaba, who also worked on XII and does work on Granblue Fantasy), so those are neat details which are always fun to just lump in :peace:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

I remember playing "Tactics Ogre: The Knights of Lodis" for the GBA back in the day. Very enjoyable experience, with an in-depth skill system, a fairly serious plot, and a surprisingly silly side to it (you can recruit mermaids and octopi for your army).

Will be keeping an eye on this remake.

I do like Tactics games so I'll probably check this out at some point. That said, I'd absolutely love a remake/remaster of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Such a fantastic game with a great soundtrack too.

4 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I do like Tactics games so I'll probably check this out at some point. That said, I'd absolutely love a remake/remaster of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Such a fantastic game with a great soundtrack too.

Yeah, FFTA was an amazing game. I've tried a few times to get into FFT but I found the setting quite bland and boring, whereas Advance was a joy to play.

Yeah, FFTA was an amazing game. I've tried a few times to get into FFT but I found the setting quite bland and boring, whereas Advance was a joy to play.

I thought exactly the same! It's very dry, FFT. Like an amateur dramatic production where everyone takes things too seriously. It also felt sluggish to play and the colour pallet was dull. And the story was pretty forgettable.

I also never got too far with FFT and was always curious why it got remastered while FFTA never did. For me, FFTA was easily one of the best games on the system.
  • Like 1

On 04/08/2022 at 9:01 AM, drahkon said:

patrick-star-no-this-is-patrick.gif

Sign in to follow this