NEurope

50 minutes ago, bob said:

It doesn't. Or at least, it isn't loading for me. You can right click and open the url in another tab though, and it loads.

Ah, it's embedded for me in FireFox. Are you using Chrome or something else?

Here's another:

cubes.svg

Ok, I'm done making image files from text for tonight.

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

Ah the classic "it works for me", a sign of a true developer.

:D

The code works. I'm not in control of the embedding. :p

Edited by Sméagol

Finished a little personal project of my own that I am just super proud of myself for and needed to "talk" about it with peeps that would understand :)

It's probably something those of ye who've been programming for years would throw together with ease, haha.

Now I say "finished" above but I've already starting getting ideas for a few changes...but "finished" in the sense it now does all the things I wanted it to do.

Made a GUI in Python that allows me sign onto my Oracle SQL Database on my laptop, set up a login function so that login details are not hardcoded and can sign in as different users.

Started it off as a command line program that allowed user to insert new data to a table. The limitations of that was it required the user to type in the table name they wanted to work with and the column names that they wanted to insert data into.

Started looking at how to make a GUI, settled on using PySimpleGUI for now as it seemed the most beginner friendly but down the line I'll hopefully redo it in TKinter or something else.

Managed to first turn what I had into a login screen followed by a screen displaying a list of tables in the logged on users schema, can choose a table to then get a window with input boxes which dynamically creates the right number of input boxes for each column in the selected table. So regardless of which table is selected and how many or few columns in that table the same function works for all. 

From there added functions for handling updating of existing data and deleting data. Added functions to make popup windows for catching and displaying errors. Added a popup window for when you try to delete a row it gives a warning asking to confirm you intend to delete it. 

Added a function to display a full table in a table format GUI (used Pandas to help with this which helped me get to grips with some basic Pandas usage :) ). Was previously using an Outbox box element in the GUI to print the output of a select statement but I didn't think that looked good visually. I was also using the output element to print errors or other messages so made functions that created popup windows for those and removed the Output elements entirely :) 

I've also converted it to a .exe file so I can launch directly from my desktop.

I think I've also accounted for any possible user errors, like if you try view a table without selecting a table, if you try to update a table that has no rows you get asked to insert data first and a few other things I discovered would break when I was messing with it.

I actually enjoyed after I added something trying to see what would break it and then trying to figure out how to fix it. Or even trying to figure out how to make something work better. Like when I first made the update function it would update all parts of a row not just the changed part. So it would be redundantly updating data to the same data (eg: FirstName: Franklin changed to Franklin). So was real happy with myself when I figured a way to get to ignore data that was unchanged and only execute an update statement on the changed data.   

• Like 1