NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

I Was Saying Boo-ris!

I know this isn't exactly the most appropriate bump, but I can't find a better thread and I don't want to commit to a new thread in case this comes to nothing. And with this Prime Minister, that's an annoying possibility.

But I'm sure most of you have seen something of this fallout over the Pincher controversy. The phrase "Rats fleeing a sinking ship" comes to mind.

Now, I might be jinxing it, but this might finally be the thing that finally sets off the end of Bo Job.

But I'm going full on Emperor Palpatine and hoping that he calls a snap election in a desperate attempt to cling on and bring the whole disgusting party with him.

Do it! 

I would like to think that yesterday's events would finally get him kicked out but....yeah. Dude has somehow managed to stay in power all this time despite the stupid amount of controversies that have occurred. 

Part of me wants him to stay until the election purely because the longer he stays the worse it gets for the Tories. What I don't want to happen is for him to go, someone else to take over and everything the Tories have done over the past few years being completely forgotten by the public. Sadly, I think that's exactly what will happen.

Lol, one of the Tory backbenchers literally using PMQ's to ask if there's anything that he'd resign over. I've never heard so much laughing in one session! His temper tantrum at Starmer was full of the usual Corbyn scaremongering. Sheer desperation.

51 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Part of me wants him to stay until the election purely because the longer he stays the worse it gets for the Tories. What I don't want to happen is for him to go, someone else to take over and everything the Tories have done over the past few years being completely forgotten by the public. Sadly, I think that's exactly what will happen.

I'm in the same boat. The longer he clings on, the less time the Tories have to scrub his stench off of their party before the next General Election.

Of course, him calling a snap election is the dream scenario, but I doubt even he is that idiotic.

EDIT: I lost it at everyone on the opposite benches shouting "Bye, Boris!" at the end of PMQ's. If anything, at least I got some chuckles out of this.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

It's nice that things are falling apart, but these are only doing it to save their own careers. They've been fully responsible for the entire mess and corruption, supporting it every step of the way. 

They want to replace Boris, but they still want to continue doing the exact same thing he's doing now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cube said:

It's nice that things are falling apart, but these are only doing it to save their own careers. They've been fully responsible for the entire mess and corruption, supporting it every step of the way. 

They want to replace Boris, but they still want to continue doing the exact same thing he's doing now. 

Totally.

They are backing away now just so when the time comes for new leader they can claim they didn't support Boris, they are different than him and will do things differently. 

The whole lot of them that sat with Boris and cheered him on want kicked to the curb. Not that it would make much difference. A new set of politicians who are only interested in furthering their own career and looking after their business buddies will be waiting to take their place. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cube said:

Oh, for sure. Tories have always been a bunch of self-serving tossers. But there's something satisfying about the sheer speed of knife wielding that Tory ministers will utilise once they decide it's time to bail. It's a tale as old as time, yet it never actually gets old.

18 ministers have resigned since yesterday at this point. There'll be more for certain.

It's really remarkable just how swiftly the knaves began their backstabbing shanking and how quickly the vultures began to circle...

Says a lot about the Tory party as a whole.

So Sky News have a dedicated "Resignation Counter" on screen at all times now. It's at 31 now. Hilarious!

FW_MlNQXkAAWi93?format=jpg&name=large

He's gonna overtake Maybot at this rate! And let's not ignore that record he's set for most resignations in a single day!

• Haha 1

@Dcubed has informed me that Nadhim Zahawi is among three Cabinet Ministers that have just told the chief whip that BloJo has to go.

He's the current Chancellor, and he hasn't even had the job for a day!

I put on the Liaison Committee as background noise for playing SMT III, but I can't focus on it with how much they're laying into him! Riveting telly!

It's 35 now. Boris is officially the MP Resignation Speedrun Champion! And I thought GDQ finished!

Edited by Glen-i
The number literally went up right when I posted!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's still going! 51 now. And I'm not certain that includes Michael Gove, who got sacked! That basically never happens. While I don't expect the daily record to be broken, we'll be seeing more resignations.

Newsnight was funny last night, if only for the way they closed.

EDIT: I suppose it was only a matter of time until someone accidentally Partridge'd.

52 now, BTW.

Edited by Glen-i

From me leaving for work this morning to me arriving there were 3 resignations. Crazy!

more-kylo-ren.gif

What sickens me about all of this is that there's a war in Ukraine going on, cost of living is going through the roof, gas and electric prices are out of control and car fuel costs a fortune. All of these issues need addressing ASAP but instead of tackling them the government is in complete meltdown and have been trying to sort out their own internal problems for weeks now. No wonder the country is in such a mess.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

Sky News are saying that we should expect to see the resignation of Johnson before the end of the day. Time will tell....

Looks like the fun's over... Everyone reporting that Boris has signed the letter of resignation.

EDIT: Yep, pretty much confirmed. It'll be forgotten in a year and then we'll be back to our regularly scheduled awfulness.

Geez, I'm getting that feeling you get when a game you really enjoyed finishes, and you feel sad because you wanted it to go on longer.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Soooo...what does this mean now for your country?

I'm not into your politics because it seems like even more of a mess than ours :p But with Johnson gone what will happen now?

45 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Soooo...what does this mean now for your country?

I'm not into your politics because it seems like even more of a mess than ours :p But with Johnson gone what will happen now?

Well, the Tory party will soon be having a leadership election to choose who will replace him in Autumn. A lot of Conservatives will be throwing their hat in for that role. The eventual winner will become the new Prime Minister.

It's worth noting that only the members of said party get a vote in this, the general public get absolutely no say in the matter. We'll have to wait until a General Election for that. Which won't happen until 2024 unless the new PM calls an early one (lol).

This causes a problem, because the general public in the UK are fickle and stupid. So that long of a time period without BJ may eventually cause a scenario where the public effectively forgives the Tory party because they, and I quote, "got rid of Boris and did the right thing". @Hero-of-Time referred to this a few times, and it's why a lot of people against Conservatives in general wanted him to cling on as long as possible.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

On 06/07/2022 at 12:05 PM, Glen-i said:

I know this isn't exactly the most appropriate bump, but I can't find a better thread and I don't want to commit to a new thread in case this comes to nothing. And with this Prime Minister, that's an annoying possibility.

Decided to split this into a separate thread.

If people hate the title I will change it.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Decided to split this into a separate thread.

If people hate the title I will change it.

All we want is meaningful change. 

2 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

All we want is meaningful change. 

Happy?

• Haha 1

I am of course happy to see him go and curious about how the next few days shake out but let's face it; there's nobody good that's going to replace him. Just hope it leads to an earlier election and we finally get them out. 

• Like 1

As a Muse-head, I find this brilliant :D 

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2022 at 10:14 AM, Glen-i said:

It's worth noting that only the members of said party get a vote in this, the general public get absolutely no say in the matter. We'll have to wait until a General Election for that. Which won't happen until 2024 unless the new PM calls an early one (lol).

Which to be fair, is how our system has worked for the hundreds of years it’s been around. We’ve also generally had an election pretty soon after a new idiotic Tory leader is elected in recent years. I imagine this will be no different.

The biggest problem right now is that we have no electable opposition. Generally, the country has become so partisan that the lack of a strong alternative means we’re doomed to an early election that the conservatives will win and then we’re just back at square one. 

As happy as I am that Boris is gone, I’m not feeling super enthusiastic about our near-term future.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Will said:

The biggest problem right now is that we have no electable opposition. Generally, the country has become so partisan that the lack of a strong alternative means we’re doomed to an early election that the conservatives will win and then we’re just back at square one. 

My political knowledge may be poor, but I still absolutely agree with this.  Forgetting whether you think the party did a good job or not with things like the pandemic, Ukraine, etc. the PR and public opinion from all the scandals and lies is shocking, and I imagine is what the majority of the general public will remember.  As such, surely there are few better opportunities for the opposition to show how they are the better alternative? Even if it’s simply because the Conservatives are shooting themselves in the foot (repeatedly!), but I don’t think they’re taking anywhere near enough advantage of it and doing the opposite PR to win over the public.

Whether I’d want them to is irrelevant, but it’s as if they have an open goal but don’t know what to do!

Sign in to follow this