NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Harvestella (4th November 2022)

Xenotrowel Chronicles? 

Introducing a brand-new fantasy x life simulation RPG from Square Enix!

Through the changing seasons, explore an imaginative world, tend your crops, make new friends, face enemies in dynamic combat, and unravel the mystery of the season of death, Quietus.

HARVESTELLA is set to launch for Nintendo Switch and Steam on November 4th, 2022

Edited by Julius

This is literally just Rune Factory with the serial numbers filed off lol.

My godmother is called Stella and I don't wish to harvest her.

I love the fact there's a character called Emo though.

• Haha 1

So, did anybody try the demo? I feel like this game has been getting a lot of unfair criticism. It's not my genre, but I wanted to at least give it the fair shake it deserves. So I tried the demo yesterday and...mixed feelings:

• The scenery and art style look lovely. Character design as well, it's distinctive enough to be memorable, and detailed without being overbearing;
    • Except for the enemies, those looked different, but... not exactly good;
  • Music is excellent and soothing;
  • Plot was more intriguing than I expected. The writing was also pretty good (in a subdued way), most lines are doing something for either the setting or characterization;
  • The combat is basic, and lacks a lot of oomph. Serviceable at best;
  • The farming side of things feels like an afterthought, weirdly enough. Maybe it's just because of the start of the game. Controls were pretty snappy, at least;
  • Sadly, the exploration side of the game is super clumsy. Your character can jump, but they meet invisible barriers everywhere. Loading times are very bothersome, and they happen very frequently (basically everytime you go through a door or entrance)... It's a shame, but at least the loading times
    • Another thing to compound this further: days go by incredibly fast. With that in mind, exploration is discouraged even further, when you could spend the day farming, fighting, or collecting loot.
  • Finally, and this might be nitpicky, but there were a lot of segments where characters talk inside a room, they all leave in a hurry except for you. At this point, you get the prompt "LEAVE THE HOUSE" like two times, so you take control, move the character to the exit door... and the plot just continues from there. It feels incredibly clumsy, from the broken pacing, to the unnecessary prompts, to the quest marker hovering above the door... and the game did this all the time!

All in all, it feels like a lot of individual parts are pretty good in a vacuum, but it lacks the direction it needs for it to gel together. The high price doesn't help either.

Still, it's pretty promising in parts, so I might get it if it ever finds its way into an affordable price.

Sign in to follow this