NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Crisis Core –Final Fantasy VII– Reunion (13th December 2022)

37 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Cloud is also wearing the wrong attire for the time this game takes place in.

The picture is based on what he wears at the end of the game.

Spoiler

cloud-crisis-core-zack-and-cloud-anime-f

A little disappointed they don't aim for 1080 on Switch TV mode, but eh.
Whether it's a consistent framerate is what matters.

There are times in recent years I stop and wonder where I am with Nintendo's output, it's not something I get to dwell on for too long before I'm swept away with something or another I didn't have access to on past Nintendo hardware. The Switch has been amazing in this regard.

Crisis Core is the latest and greatest on that front. I'm about 2 hours in, chapter one done, 4% through the missions, level 13, got Ifrit. During chapter 1 it was like I was thrown in at the deep end, drowning in onscreen information and walls of tutorial text, never mind actually getting to grips with the button combinations. Clicking the sticks never comes naturally to me and here it's used for lock-on so I'm probably going to make do without that as long as is feasible. Having just gone from 0-4% with the missions, I'm already seeing an improvement in my gameplay, learning what to glance at and when... spamming magic attacks when I get a few seconds of MP free attacking, spamming the other attack when it's a few seconds AP free. That kind of simple thing has been making a difference.

However, keeping exp hidden seems at odds with the way you're bombarded with info. ::shrug: Maybe to take the focus off grinding? If missions should be replayed for grinding purposes I want to know. 

Must be one of the best-looking games I've played too. There was a slight worry that the Switch version would amount to a "pocket edition" but I'm so glad that's not the case. Sure it's "narrow" and not open world but it's great to see what can be done with the Switch when someone takes a bit of pride in their work. Feels like I've put a foot into the nextgen! :blush: 

Always had my fingers crossed that this and other PSP stuff like Persona would be brought to the 3DS so it's fantastic to see these games get the Switch treatment. Getting to play Crisis Core for myself at long last, I gotta say, I'm in a bit of a starstruck phase if you couldn't tell. It's so cool. Turns out Zack's a goofy kid; his personality is more Tidus and a far, far cry from someone like Cloud, so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes with him and how it ultimately tees up FF VII.

Any missables to be worried about? The missions tell you what you'll be rewarded with and how many chests to be on the lookout for... but this being FF, there must be obscure drops or something?

• Like 1

There are loads of missables. Best not to dwell on it and just enjoy the ride. You're in for a cracking time.

17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You're in for a cracking time.

Only if it's better than the PSP game. That one sucks :p 

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There are loads of missables. Best not to dwell on it and just enjoy the ride. You're in for a cracking time.

Well. Thought you might say the pink tail or some equivalent rare drop but not loads. :blank: If there's nothing worth worrying about I'll just carry on through the chapters and missions.

Only thing I've looked up (after chapter one when I was starting into the missions), was where to input the DLC code. Thought I was overlooking an in-game menu but it's not like claiming Shiny Eternatus and co., this one has to be entered directly on the eShop if anyone's wondering. 

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:
3 hours ago, drahkon said:

Only if it's better than the PSP game. That one sucks :p 

yousuck-suck.gif

Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core - Activating Combat mode - YouTube

Edited by darksnowman
  • Haha 3

Did chapter 2, more missions and general exploration. The story is already shaping up to be heavier than I expected. The sillier NPCs such as the guy at the training room door, Hojo and the materia makers (could be an FF VII band?) do a great job of balancing it out.

uc?export=view&id=1Crjnk74oIsl-R0kSnwOw_

Possibly the toughest job this game is going to have is convincing me Cloud was ever worthy of wielding this.

uc?export=view&id=1CjsgCBkd1E34j_b0NlOM6

YES! I spent a good whack of time exploring the building—not that you have access to a great deal—before heading out on the streets. There were only five or six things on display but you better believe I had a good look at each item. :blush: Outside, I didn't think twice about joining the cult of Loveless when asked—intrigued to see how this plays into things and hoping to have the text made available to me in-game so I can read it. 

Edited by darksnowman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Possibly the toughest job this game is going to have is convincing me Cloud was ever worthy of wielding this.

He was never worthy. He's just a shoddy version of Zack. 

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

But the Buster Sword sucks. Literally any other sword in FF7 is better.

Always amuses me that it's the big iconic weapon in the series, but you immediately replace it at the earliest opportunity in the actual game.

42 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Have you played this yet? The game gives the sword more meaning than just a weapon.

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Who in turn so far seems to be a peppy tryhard version of his mentor! :D Yup, it's gonna be a punch in the guts if/ when something transpires that has me leaving team Angeal. :( 

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Always amuses me that it's the big iconic weapon in the series, but you immediately replace it at the earliest opportunity in the actual game.

If you're only capable of seeing it in terms of cold, hard numbers, then remember this is a prequel to FF VII, so it's only normal the stats of the big sword here would be superseded as you progress through the compilation. 

Or something.

Crisis Core is infusing the iconic Buster Sword with meaning that has no right carrying over into the hands of the empty husk that is Cloud Strife. And I'm only at chapter 3! If this keeps going I'll be outright despising Cloud (who I'm indifferent about as a character) by the time it wraps up. :laughing: Way to go CC. 

36 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

If this keeps going I'll be outright despising Cloud (who I'm indifferent about as a character) by the time it wraps up. :laughing: Way to go CC. 

That's exactly how the game made me feel about Cloud. 

3m2ryssxmss71.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Have you played this yet? The game gives the sword more meaning than just a weapon.

Nope. Not yet. I figured it would though, seeing as it developing Zack's story is half the point.

Which would make it even funnier that Cloud will end up discarding the thing at the first opportunity.

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Nope. Not yet. I figured it would though, seeing as it developing Zack's story is half the point.

Which would make it even funnier that Cloud will end up discarding the thing at the first opportunity.

I didn't know there was anything to the sword other than it being on Cloud's back in the renders. And never thought twice about upgrading from it in FF VII either... and still don't. That's RPGs for you. Buy everything you can with an up arrow on it then hit that optimise button on the equipment screen and move on to the next town and do it again. :D 

If and when you get around to Crisis Core, free your mind of these Buster Sword gripes, and you might well find there's plenty to enjoy. There's a surprising amount of heart to it from what I've seen.

Chapter 5 cleared, 15% missions completed. 

I've been out in the field with Sephiroth, I've fallen into the church and started seeing Aerith down in the slums, I've been up the snowy mountains having banter with a fellow country bumpkin who doffed his helmet to reveal the one and only Cloud (!) and I've taken ownership of the Buster Sword. 

I'm loving getting a pre-FF VII look at these characters. Should hate Sephiroth but I'd be chums with him! Should fall head over heels in love with Aerith however I was initially a bit wary of her during the stolen wallet debacle. Thought Cloud'd be an empty vessel yet there I was enjoying watching the interaction with him before knowing his identity. Most surprised that Cloud already has his hairdo... thought he copied that off Zack and all. Mostly I'm enjoying Zack because it's his way of being that's bringing out this side of these characters. The values that Angeal instilled in him... :weep:

(I'd be curious about dropping Aerith and pursuing things with Cissnei if this was Persona.)

Had to reload my save a lot at the Modeo stealth section. It ended up being too finicky (Sam Fisher Zack is not) so I just fought through and gave up on getting the items. Hope they aren't too vital. Had bother with the chapter 5 boss also. Retried with various materia setups before settling on some HP Ups to see me through. Wish I'd got through that without using a Pheonix Down but he struck me down when I was waiting to get an MP replenish roll from the slots (to cast Cure). Haven't got into materia fusion yet as I'm not sure about the combinations but maybe the time is approaching.

• Like 2

I loved Cissnei which is weird as I usually hate the chirpy female characters in JRPGs. All the Turks in this game are great. It's a shame we never got Before Crisis over here.

17 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I'd be curious about dropping Aerith

I don't know why, but the imagery reminded me of this:

Aerith is not even a baby. My mind is weird.

17 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Should hate Sephiroth but I'd be chums with him!

Yup, he's actually a pretty cool guy :D

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Saw this out. Had taken a break from it because I couldn't figure out the safe code in Shinra Manor. It's just a matter of peeking through four keyholes to count four objects that give you the four numbers. Opening that safe was optional so I could have put it out of my head and moved on after all those unsuccessful attempts, but I wanted whatever was in there. Then when I decided I'd just have another look, a few more guesses and carry on with the game, wouldn't you know I spotted the object I'd been unable to see. :laughing: And what was in the safe? Something I already had. 

From FF VII, I knew how Zack's story would have to end. However, I didn't know the when, where or in-what-way of it. I was surprised then when it happened. The final chapter I thought was another chapter, the final boss, despite the difficulty increase that had me bounce out to run through a bunch of missions to level up and get better equipment, I thought was just another end-of-chapter boss. The final cutscene I thought was starting to stretch out a bit longer than normal... (FOUR YEARS??!) before I was put in control of a scenario that was up there with the last moments of the final day in Majora's Mask. The chilling realisation that this was it. The finale bearing down on me. And still I thought I could get out of it. Damned if I didn't try.

Overall I thought it was a very good game. I was drawn into it from the off—it only lost me a bit around the Nibelheim Reactor section where for some reason, those scenes came across as cheaper and cheesier to my eye... which I'm sure is how others view the entire game. 

I enjoyed the chapter structure, I enjoyed getting out and about around Midgar, I even enjoyed the missions I did. If you read them, each mission line is its own little story. I liked the one that has you covering for a junior co-worker and particularly enjoyed the mission line with Wutai's fledgling thief. The snippets of LOVELESS were good too. Would read more.

I enjoyed being Sephiroth's friend and seeing that side of him and above all, Zack is a great character. Top guy. I'm hoping to see him, Angeal and Cissnei in Theatrhythm Final Bar Line.

That's the clear game saved for a new game + sometime. I think I can see myself doing it. Now I've seen the story through, I wouldn't mind getting more experimental with materia fusion without the fear of messing up and putting myself at a severe disadvantage. Also, it might be good to check around to see what interesting missables I was oblivious too. To paraphrase Douglas Adams, "I love missables. I love how they sit silently and let you go whooshing past."

If you're up for an action RPG that's split up into chapters and missions, this is an easy recommend.

End stats:
Play time: 22:21:48
Level 44
Mission completion progress: 38%
Buster sword proficiency: 10.91%

:peace: 

Sign in to follow this