NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

The Last of Us Part I (2nd September 2022)

ps5-tlou-part-1-game-box-front?$Backgrou

ps5-tlou-part-1-firefly-edition-game-box-front

1015a15dc40ee5e67597370e9a99e20f.png

Get The Last of Us Part I Firefly Edition, only available to buy as an exclusive directly from PlayStation®.

Experience the emotional storytelling and unforgettable characters of Joel and Ellie in The Last of Us, winner of over 200 Game of the Year awards and now rebuilt for PlayStation®5.

Enjoy a total overhaul of the original experience, faithfully reproduced but incorporating modernized gameplay, improved controls and expanded accessibility options. Plus, feel immersed with improved effects and enhanced exploration and combat.

The Last of Us™ Part I Firefly Edition includes the complete The Last of Us single-player story (PS5™) and celebrated prequel chapter, Left Behind; limited edition SteelBook® display case; The Last of Us: American Dreams #1 - #4 comics reprint with new cover art; and early in-game unlocks*.

Yeah, someone is getting fired for pulling the trigger on this news far too early. :D 

• Like 2

Still don't think it's entirely necessary but I suppose it'll be nice for to have the same aesthetic and polish as Part II

Do we think they'll incorporate Left Behind into the main narrative somehow?

What a pointless waste of time this entire project is. Yet another remake. Of a game from 9 years ago. That's already been remade once before. Whyyyyy.

19 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

What a pointless waste of time this entire project is. Yet another remake. Of a game from 9 years ago. That's already been remade once before. Whyyyyy.

hello-money.gif

• Like 1

Looks nice to see the game looking (graphically) as good as Last of Us Part II, but kind of a waste really.  Doesn't look like they'll have an upgrade path either for owners of the Remastered edition on PS4, so looks like it'll be £69.99 (or wait until it "might" pop up on PS+ 6 months to a year from now)

37 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Looks nice to see the game looking (graphically) as good as Last of Us Part II, but kind of a waste really.  Doesn't look like they'll have an upgrade path either for owners of the Remastered edition on PS4, so looks like it'll be £69.99 (or wait until it "might" pop up on PS+ 6 months to a year from now)

Yeah, the price they are asking for this is just ridiculous. The general feeling from majority of gamers is that this game simply didn't need to be remade and I fully agree. 

Posted (edited)

The Digital Foundry comparison of the trailer has arrived (also comparing the game to Part II):

Looks incredible.

It's a tough one for me, as while I think I agree with the general sentiment that it's expensive at £70 for what it is as a consumer - compared to other similar remake projects, and with this being as close to 1:1 visually and in its story as you can imagine - it wasn't a project Naughty Dog have headed since the beginning, and so if "blame", I guess, is to be out anywhere for me with this project getting the focus it has when other studios have been abandoned (Japan Studio) or not given a second crack at something (Bend with Days Gone), it lies with the now closed Sony San Diego and Mumbaur and other leads on the project trying to get this going to begin with as a secret project. I've said this before, but I don't think my biggest problem with this is that they're remaking the game, it's that big names at Sony not in the boardrooms but on the studio floors are the ones seemingly proposing projects such as these. As an internal tech demo to get them up to speed on TLOU II's engine and expand Naughty Dog, or just as a showpiece, cool, but it knocks my confidence in the ambition of some of their creatives if anything. 

Anyways, this is a long way of me saying I'm in. Day 1. Yeah, it's pricey for what it is, and I won't argue with anyone about that, but it's basically doing *exactly* what I thought Star Wars should do with the prequels and go back and revitalise the animated/CGI aspects of those films, because hey, that's a huge bonus with tech being so heavily used in them. Same goes for the appearance of some characters in the films and shows, having the option to update them because of new tech and not needing to completely redo things (in the case of TLOU they're using the same performances and line reads) is just the smart thing to do. If The Godfather were a game you know they'd do it too, and heck, 4K restorations/releases of films these days aren't exactly cheap either. 

To me I'm okay with it because it's not like every game gets this treatment, so far, if we're talking 1:1 stuff like this, it's only really been Bluepoint pushing that with their remakes. The Last of Us isn't any old game, it's in my - and many other people's, including many here's - opinion one of the strongest narratives in video games and one of my favourites. Now if they do this with Knack, or Days Gone, or Ghost of Tsushima, then I think it becomes a problem because it cheapens such a treatment, and if any game from Naughty Dog needed this treatment, I still maintain that it should have been the first Uncharted. 

But it seems like they've got the right people onboard to get even closer to their original vision of a fantastic game, and I'm all for it. I can't wait to play this at the start of September and then roll straight back into Part II now it's going to look and feel so consistent. Again, I 100% agree it's expensive - then again, like 4 games locked in for GOTY discussions at the end of year are delayed to next year, so my own personal perspective is that I'll been spending less thanks to those delays and so don't mind dropping some money on this - and I absolutely worry that it's another sign of Sony going the way of tripping over their own pride, but the game itself, Part I, I'm totally here for. 

@killthenet interesting question about Left Behind, I've got to say, I don't know how well it would work weaved back into the story of the main game. I think it works really well as a standalone piece of content because of the period it's set in within the game and because it retrospectively adds more depth and nuance to Ellie and her struggle, feels like a great bookend to the TLOU experience (in how it gives us Ellie's beginning at the end to mirror Joel's beginning at the start), but if it's inserted into the main story itself, I feel like it makes the excellent pacing of Silver Lake and some of the later moments of the game a bit more shaky. Would love an option for it to be weaved in though, maybe as something which can be unlocked after a first playthrough? That'd be neat :D

Edited by Julius

Well for myself, quite frankly, I am more interested in the new PS5 multiplayer game. We'll probably not be getting any further news about it for a while, but it's great that Naughty Dog can finally focus on new characters. Not that I wouldn't want to see Ellie, Abby or Lev again. Maybe they could all turn up in the third, official entry.

I'm assuming this game set in San Francisco, is meant to be a separate, side story kind of adventure.

Sign in to follow this