NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

The Orville: New Horizons

Didn't know whether to put this in the TV thread or here. Either way, I can't wait to watch the new series. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Happenstance you watched The Orville yet? I was going to give it a watch but decided to go through the first two seasons again first. 

No I hadn't actually realised it had started yet. Might give that first episode a watch tonight thanks.

I've been enjoying going through The Orville again. The show has such a perfect balance of feeling like Star Trek and making me laugh with Seth MacFarlane's usual comedy style. Malloy is the one who usually has me in stitches. His references to our own time period cracks me up.

I just finished episode 7 (Majority Rule) and it's such a good commentary on today's society, the obsession with social media and the pull it has on people. 

I think I might have to rewatch The Orville as well. I'm watching the first episode of season 3 now and am feeling no real connection to it. 

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I think I might have to rewatch The Orville as well. I'm watching the first episode of season 3 now and am feeling no real connection to it. 

Yeah, I thought I would feel the same which is why I decided to rewatch them all. There was too big of a gap between this new season and the last.

I'm currently on episode 9 of the second season, so i've not long to go before I can watch the new episode.

• Like 1

I see a transporter accident must have happened and caused a thread separation. :D 

I'm now on the last episode of season 2. I forgot how fun the second half of this season was. So many great episodes. Also, I was wrong, Bortus is actually the funniest character in the series. 

Corner Piece Cake GIF - Corner Piece Cake The Orville - Discover & Share  GIFsBortus Orville GIF - Bortus Orville Silent - Discover & Share GIFs

Bortus The Orville GIF - Bortus The Orville Mustache - Discover & Share GIFsThe Orville Pillow GIF by Fox TV - Find & Share on GIPHYPeter Macon | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | TumgirRandom Fandom Stuff — The Orville, 2.11. Bortus and Klyden are getting...

• Like 3

The new series definitely has had a budget increase compared to the previous two. However, I wasn't a fan of this first episode. It was overly long and far too serious. Seasons 1 and 2 managed to balance a serious tone with some funny scenes but this first episode didn't really have any of the LOL moments. That being said, the subject that's tackled in the episode is very heavy and very well done. Claire's speech at the end was great.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The new series definitely has had a budget increase compared to the previous two. However, I wasn't a fan of this first episode. It was overly long and far too serious. Seasons 1 and 2 managed to balance a serious tone with some funny scenes but this first episode didn't really have any of the LOL moments. That being said, the subject that's tackled in the episode is very heavy and very well done. Claire's speech at the end was great.

On the plus side, Charly is yummy 😋 

• Haha 1

Only just realised the new series started, will have to catch up tonight.

Admittedly, I'm almost entirely in it for the Seth influence then the actual Star Trek homage, but I liked the other series.

The trailer seems to have a much more serious tone than the first two seasons. It started off as a Star Trek spoof, and now it's looking more and more like just Star Trek. Looks good though.

On 09/06/2022 at 12:58 PM, bob said:

The trailer seems to have a much more serious tone than the first two seasons. It started off as a Star Trek spoof, and now it's looking more and more like just Star Trek. Looks good though.

Sadly, I think that's exactly what has happened. Just watched the second episode of the new series and it was pretty much the same as the first. An hour long and once again very few laughs throughout. :( 

Yeah the second episode was even more serious. I guess you could kind of see this coming, the second season was also more serious than the first, just to a lesser extent. I don't necessarily hate the more serious tone but at that point I'd rather be watching Star Trek again. They need to work on striking a better balance.

• Like 1

It's such a shame that Halston Sage decide to leave the show. Rewatching the first season at the moment and Alara is a much better character than Talla. Don't know how true the rumours were that she was seeing Seth McFarlane and it ended badly but it'd be nice to see her back at some point.

Agreed. Talla just seems boring in comparison to Alara. The backstory about her childhood and her parents thinking of her as the black sheep of the family was really interesting. 

I quite liked the third episode. It wasn't as dark as the first two episodes and I enjoyed the call back to a previous season. 

Yeah, I agree. Much better balance between funny and serious. The flat "What?" a certain character says cracked me up!

This season just keeps getting better and better. The first episode is a bit dull. i understand why they had to go with it as a season opener, but it was a real turn-off. 

Episode 2 felt like a real classic Star Trek episode, was pretty good, but nothing special. 

Episode 3 was fantastic. Twists and turns, and no idea what was going on until the end.

Episode 4 was excellent. Not quite as good as 3, but still fun. 

There's definitely a reduction in the amount of humour overall though. Probably isn't coming back; it seems like they want it to have a more serious tone, which is ok, but I do miss the early S1 jokes.

• Like 1

I still need to watch the 4th episode. I completely forgot about it! 

Does anyone know how many episodes are planned for this season?

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I still need to watch the 4th episode. I completely forgot about it! 

Does anyone know how many episodes are planned for this season?

IMDB says 10.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bob said:

IMDB says 10.

Thanks. I'm always wary of looking for information about stuff like this in case I end up running into spoilers. :) 

Just finished the 4th episode. Man, that was some good TV. They must have spent a small fortune on the special effects and sets on this episode. Loved the storyline and once again appreciated things from earlier series coming into play here. Also, I was happy to see a bit of humour injected into this episode. The cowboy scene and Annie play were great. :D 

Episode 5 is much slower, but I really enjoyed it. I love how they deal with some really heavy topics - it's so well written!

They also have a very bizarre song choice near the end of the episode that I think H-o-T will enjoy.

Another fantastic episode. I love how one week we can go from an action packed episode and in the next we get an episode which deals with issues that carry a lot of weight and are relevant to what's going on in the world today. 

I don't think Seth MacFarlane and his team get the credit they deserve for some of the stories that are told on his show. These kind of stories and issues have been very well handled, even from when the series first started.

Oh and yeah, I loved the song. :D 

• Like 1

Yeah the writing has been top notch. It's definitely one of the best written shows on at the moment.

The comparison between this and the Star Wars and Marvel shows is night and day.

Sign in to follow this