NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Resident Evil 4 (Remake)

So… they’re basically turning it into The Last Of Us? As expected…

A shame.  Hopefully the gameplay is still fun though… and the inevitable content cuts aren’t too severe…

• Like 1

I'm just catching up with the news from last nights Resident Evil show. 

FfjAiezXwAUHmUT?format=jpg&name=large

1BrQsle.jpeg

FfjAtmlXEAY2hS8?format=jpg&name=large

DVaLQJX.png

Ffi_OssVUAA8Bjp?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FfjDRCPXEAgKgNM?format=jpg&name=large

Ffi-EjWUcAAYhXP?format=jpg&name=4096x409

4f958a16532d4261ada425b2992091fd59a9d076

27821ee0e73cc8b231c5b343c157c39d3d213a2a

VERY happy with the story changes. I hated how it never really connected with the other games and so retconning it to fit  with Resident Evil 5 and 7 makes me a happy chappy.

Reading through previews and comments, it appears the game has kept it's cheesy dialogue. That should keep a lot of you happy. :D 

Also...

''In an interview with Resident Evil 4 producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi we asked if the remake efforts for classic Resident Evil titles will continue after the release of Resident Evil 4 Remake and, more specifically would Hirabayahi-san like to work on a Resident Evil Code Veronica Remake.

Hirabayashi-san responded that his focus is currently on the development of Resident Evil 4 Remake and making that the best experience for fans. He continued that there are no concrete plans to develop Resident Evil Code Veronica Remake, but if the "opportunity comes, maybe."

They had better do Code Veronica after this. That game needed an upgrade more than this one did.

• Like 1

The tone is still too serious for my liking, despite some one-liners still being in... but I have to admit that I'm impressed with what we've seen so far.  The village shootout's level design is basically a 1-1 match for the original, and the Castle section is still in (though I suspect that it'll be heavily truncated), as is the Del Lago fight.

I'm not happy about the addition of a crafting system (because of course it has a fucking crafting system, it's a modern game, it has to have the obligitory Minecraft ripoff), but I am happy to see that they haven't messed with the Tetris Attache case too much.

The new parry system looks good though, and the idea of Leon parrying a chainsaw with a piddly little butter knife tickles me in all the right places :D

That being said though? The guns look weak as shit compared to the original.  I don't care if it's more realistic, I can tell just by the video footage that the gunplay is going to feel much worse than the original, never even mind the Wii Edition.

I like the addition of more context-sensitive actions though, like the burnable cow and the wooden overpass being chopped down.  That's the kind of stuff I want to see!

I am still not convinced that most of the original game's content is going to survive the chopping block though.  I cannot imagine a scenario where Capcom actually manage to recreate even half of the original game's content in this HD-era.  The original game's scope is just far too big.  Still.  If there was anything that they were absolutely sure to not mess with, it was going to always be the initial village shootout section.

Also.  Everyone except for Lois & Hunnigan look weird.

Edit:  

ALL CUTSCENE QTES ARE GONE! (wait... what the hell does this mean for the Krauser Knife Fight!? Surely that isn't getting cut right? RIGHT!?)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Is that the Wii one? 
The only RE game that I ever played (never finished it)

I need to play the series eventually, don't I? :( 

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Is that the Wii one? 
The only RE game that I ever played (never finished it)

I need to play the series eventually, don't I? :( 

Yes it is (AKA, the best one).  Was first released on the Gamecube back in 2005.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Confused 1

Looks absolutely incredible!! :o:bowdown:

Hopefully they got the balance between original and new stuff just right. Based on what was shown though I’m more confident than ever that they have. :cool:

Just wish they would pick a face for Ada and stick with it though! She looks completely different in every game. :heh:

This looked really good, still very recognisable but a huge graphical and technical upgrade. Can't wait.

Looks nice, but I don't enjoy RE4 for the horror, so I'm super out.

Why can't I just have a HD port with the Wii controls!?

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Weren't you already super out due to you not owning a console that it's being released on? 

I think that makes you ultra out now.

1 hour ago, bob said:

Weren't you already super out due to you not owning a console that it's being released on? 

I think that makes you ultra out now.

PC is an option.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

You can. Get a Steam Deck, buy RE4, download the graphics mod, and use gyro aiming settings. Voila!

i suspect unlike most of you, I haven't played this game in a long time. The Cube version is the only one I've ever played. That combined with my shit memory, and I'm all up for this remake. It looks great, and half the game will feel like new because of the tweaks of because I've forgotten stuff. Hmm. Just found out Ashley's face model is Dutch.

• Like 1

Continues to look incredible:

That lighting though! Oh, and The Mercenaries is coming, and a Special Demo is on its way soon too :D

• Like 1

So... who else has given the demo a go now?

I gave it a quick playthrough on the Steam Deck... Outside of some Proton related graphical glitches it runs very well.  And my main PC runs the game like a champ.

The game itself though? Ehh... It's very much TLOU RE4 edition, and everything that goes with it.  It controls like utter dogshit! Because it's a modern AAA game, it just has to use the right stick for moving the camera and the result is a mess.  The camera doesn't follow the player whatsoever and will put absolutely no effort into framing the action for you, happily letting you run into the camera Crash Bandicoot style unless you constantly babysit it with the right stick.  This worked ok-ish for RE2 Remake, because that game had a moderate pace and took place in small, cramped environments.  With the much more action-heavy focus of RE4? And the wide, open environments like the Village shootout section? This combination is a disaster!  I'm constantly finding myself running straight into the faces of enemies that I can't see!

They've also greatly reduced the effectiveness of Leon's roundhouse kick.  Its hitbox is tiny now and it's nowhere near as effective at crowd control as before... In general, your options for crowd control are hugely limited compared to the original game.  The shotgun's area of effect is woefully limited and nowhere near as punchy as in the original game, while enemies are huge damage sponges who can happily take a pistol shot to the face and barely even stagger, often not even giving you the option to follow up with a kick!  To make matters worse, they've greatly increased the number of enemies on screen and they've taken away almost all of the i-frames after you're grabbed, meaning that enemies will constantly Wombo Combo you... Oh! Speaking of which, that's clearly very intentional as the game has a very heavy emphasis on combo follow-up attacks where one enemy will grab you and the other will charge to attack you (some of them even being scripted one-hit-deaths!).  I see this becoming very quickly infuriating when you're constantly being attacked by enemies that you can't even see!  All the enemies having magic magnet hands with massive Plesioth sized hit boxes for grabs doesn't help either.

Generally speaking, your guns feel pretty weak and nowhere near as satisfying to use as the original game (also, dismemberment is almost entierly gone now - including the iconic Leon Chainsaw Death from the original where he gets his head cut off... that's gone).  Leon's movement also feels clumsy and not as responsive as the original game either.  I can't even kick doors open anymore! I'm not impressed with how this game plays at all.

There's also a rather nasty potential design flaw in place with the new knife durability system... It's entierly possible to softlock yourself completely.  Should you run out of gun ammo and destroy your knife? You're totally screwed.  If you end up in that situation and you're in an area where you have to kill enemies to procede? That's it, your save file is ruined, because you can't even kill enemies to get your ammo back.  Now I did test this out in the demo and the game does have a pity system in place where it forces item drops to become gun ammo, but it's still absolutely possible to put yourself into an unwinnable state; and that's really not acceptable.  Speaking of which, the idea of a knife durabity system runs entierly counter to many of the game's new mechanics anyway! You actually lose knife durabilty for carrying out stealth kills and for killing enemies with them with normal slashes, which makes no sense! You are actively punished for playing well! WTF!? This is a bad idea from a game design standpoint and it will lead to players actively avoiding using the knife (especially since knives now take up space in your attache case to boot!), while also allowing for nasty softlock situations.

Finally, the level design is somewhat suspect in the demo... The initial house has been turned into a dungeon basement of sorts and navigation feels unintuitive and confusing.  I found myself getting lost for an embarrasing amount of time as I couldn't find the stairs to go up and get out, I had no clue where I was going in a way that I never felt in the original game (or RE2 Remake for that matter); and it's not a good kind of lost either, the way out was just very poorly signposted as I kept running right past it.  And I don't know if this is just for the demo, but pretty much the entire start of the game was cut up until the initial Village shootout section, outside of the first house; there's basically no room for exploration whatsoever.  The original RE4 is definitely not this linear.

As for the game's overall tone and narrative? It's strange in that it seems to want to keep some of the B-Movie esc cheese from the original, but also present itself as a super serious HBO drama.  The game seems to want to have its cake and eat it, and I feel that it's not going to satisfy either camp that wants a Prestige TV drama nor those that want something true to the original.  And this is just a pet peeve of mine, but I find it deeply unsatisfying that you don't even get to fight the first Ganados you encounter; he's entierly dispatched in a cutscene, and you miss the iconic realisation that he's a regular human and not a zombie... (This also has gameplay ramifications as you're not even given that chance to familarise yourself with the gun controls here before you get into a proper encounter!).  Likewise, you don't even get to jump out of the first window either.  Already the game's narrative changes rub me the wrong way, and I can already see myself lamenting the loss of the QTE sections that the original game was so famous for... 

Overall? I'm not happy with the demo... I think I'm either gonna give the game a miss, or I may wait until it's on deep discount.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CrowingJoe79 said:

Now, giving how hypocritical the RE community usually is, most RE4 fanboys will likely gloss over the fact that there's omitted content. Which again, is hypocrisy. I've seen it on GameFAQs so many times.

The members spoke about RE3 cutting out the clock tower, certain enemy types, and whatnot, yet my memory does not deceive me. I've seen all of the butchered content in both RE2 and 3. So why the heck they choose to bash 3 over it and not 2, it's clearly just a case of RE2 being more of a beloved game that they'll openly stick up for, despite coming across as idiots for picking sides. They even added gameplay elements from 3 into 2, overhauled the plot and scenarios, and one thing that personally annoyed me was how flipping dark every area was. The original was NOT like this whatsoever. 

Call it hypocrisy. Call it whatever you want. But if anybody chooses to mock RE3 for having missing stuff and not offer criticism for 2 and 4 for doing the same things, then there's your answer right there and then. 

Are you sure those are actually the same members having two conflicting opinions? Or two groups of members who disagree with each other?

Going to pick this up this weekend. It's actually my least favourite RE and by that I mean, I like it, but it's not the best for me.*

I'm hoping this remake will bump it up a few notches! 

Didn't get round to downloading the demo, so looking forward to diving in once I finish up Metroid Prime Remastered. 

*Its worth noting that I class RE 6 as a game that never happened and has since been wiped from my memory. 

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this