NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (28th April 2023)

Just officially announced at Celebration :bouncy:

"What is your next move, Jedi?"

Experience the next chapter of Cal Kestis' journey in STAR WARS Jedi: Survivor™ - coming in 2023.

Picking up five years after the events of STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order, Jedi: Survivor is a third person, narrative-driven action-adventure game from Respawn Entertainment, developed in collaboration with Lucasfilm Games.

Spoiler

Final Fantasy VII Remake Part II, is that you?! :p

ffvii-sephiroth-tank.jpg

Okay but seriously, am I crazy or does the guy in the tank kind of look like a white-haired, Sephiroth take on Cal? 

Interview with Stig Asmussen from StarWars.com. It has also been mentioned elsewhere that the game takes place 5 years after Fallen Order (14 BBY), meaning it took place in 9 BBY, which means it takes place in the same year as Kenobi. 

Edited by Julius

Fair enough, just a random trailer drop. I guess I was hoping for a little bit more to dissect but oh well. At least it's (hopefully) coming next year so not too long to wait.

Do we dare hope? The game appears to be listed for late Feb/early March of next year:

Think this would be in line with the whispers surrounding the game's supposed internal delay from late this year to next. 

A new novel, Star Wars Jedi: Battle Scars, is set to release 7th March 2023 to help bridge the gap between Fallen Order and Survivor. 

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Delayed 6 weeks.

Well, that's one less thing to plough through in the month leading up to Celebration I guess, and one less thing to talk about in lines too! :p

It's a weird one this delay for me, because I don't feel like we've actually seen that much of the game, which is fine - it's shaping up to be a very direct sequel from a story and gameplay perspective, so similar to perhaps Ragnarök, there just might not be that much they want to show ahead of release. At the same time, though, I think this has a marketing deal with PlayStation because they've been tweeting about it every few days, and so I'm honestly a bit surprised by the delay; maybe not seeing much by this point should've been taken as a sign, but I kind of assumed it was going smoothly. 

Just realised this delay also brings it up to within two weeks of Tears of the Kingdom (or at least it's current release date as things stand), so I'm kind of selfishly hoping it's comparable in length to the first game and has avoided bloat...which I feel like we've been seeing a lot more of as of late. 

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Well, that's one less thing to plough through in the month leading up to Celebration I guess, and one less thing to talk about in lines too! :p

It's a weird one this delay for me, because I don't feel like we've actually seen that much of the game, which is fine - it's shaping up to be a very direct sequel from a story and gameplay perspective, so similar to perhaps Ragnarök, there just might not be that much they want to show ahead of release. At the same time, though, I think this has a marketing deal with PlayStation because they've been tweeting about it every few days, and so I'm honestly a bit surprised by the delay; maybe not seeing much by this point should've been taken as a sign, but I kind of assumed it was going smoothly. 

Just realised this delay also brings it up to within two weeks of Tears of the Kingdom (or at least it's current release date as things stand), so I'm kind of selfishly hoping it's comparable in length to the first game and has avoided bloat...which I feel like we've been seeing a lot more of as of late. 

Two weeks is the minimum games will want to avoid Zelda I imagine! 

Personally I'm happy with the delay, the original release date was looking really busy with Mando on at the same time, Celebration around the corner and even stuff like the Mario Movie. Happy that things are a bit more spaced out now. I'm sure there'll be plenty to talk about at Celebration regardless!

Oh and obv a more stable game with less bugs is always good. As much as I make fun of the now monthly Twitter jpg delay announcement, it's good when games take the time they need.

Edited by Ronnie

Fast travel and rideable creatures are in! 

Rideable creatures are cool, but thank The Maker for fast travel. 

It's absence was one of the strangest things overlooked in the first game's design, especially on planets like Kashyyyk, where there's a good chance you missed something near the top of the tree and would need to slide around with the action music cue/angles from a chase *that had already happened* still being used on subsequent visits. Absolute bane of my existence in the first game. 

Getting more excited for this as the weeks pass :D

IGN First with the scoop in the form of 9 minutes of gameplay:

Looks fantastic in Unreal Engine 5, the chicken run looks a little toned down and evolved compared with the first game, and most noticeably to me, the fighting animations seem just that slight bit faster? Can also already hear a bunch of nods to the films in the music too, always look forward to any and all new Star Wars music! 

These two and a half months could be long :laughing: but then, if things go to plan, it's this at the end of April, Tears of the Kingdom two weeks later in May, and then Final Fantasy XVI in June! Going to be an awesome Q2 :D

Environment look great! Animation a bit less so but it never bothered me in Fallen Order. Looks like more of the first game just a bit better, which is fine by me. It's a relatively quick turnaround to get a AAA sequel out, so it was never going to be a huge step up. Hope the story is as good as the first one!

8 minutes ago, Julius said:

Going to be an awesome Q2 :D

Mate, The Bad Batch finale, Star Wars Celebration, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Mando S3 finale, Jedi Survivor, Visions Volume 2, and Tears of the Kingdom... all in the space of 6 weeks.

Edited by Ronnie

On 2/8/2023 at 11:20 AM, Ronnie said:

Animation a bit less so but it never bothered me in Fallen Order.

Yeah, the only animation that bothered me in Fallen Order was his run, and maybe "bothered" is too harsh a way to put it...but it would send me howling every time I was running away from a fight :laughing:

On 2/8/2023 at 11:20 AM, Ronnie said:

It's a relatively quick turnaround to get a AAA sequel out, so it was never going to be a huge step up. Hope the story is as good as the first one!

The other day I was thinking about how it feels like it's been so long since Fallen Order released, and...it will have released just 3 ½ years ago by the time this comes out. Nice to know the COVID era is still warping my perception of time! :p

I'm a big fan of sequels being more fit for purpose these days and just reusing assets as and where possible: if I want a sequel, it's normally a sign that I want more of the same! Sure, there are some that have taken a little while even when trying to do this (Ragnarök and Tears of the Kingdom come to mind), but then again, the examples that come to mind are GOTY contenders whereas I don't feel like Survivor is under such an obligation. 

Something I've noticed lately with video game sequels is an increasing sense of scope creep and bloat (I loved Ragnarök, but it's one that comes to mind despite me loving it!), so I do hope Survivor finds a way to keep itself somewhat lean in the face of that seemingly becoming a trend.

I replayed Fallen Order last year on a lower difficulty and just following the crit path after finally completing what I needed to get the Platinum, and the game and story just flows so, so, so much better without looking around for things to collect. With wider open areas in some of the footage we've seen I am a little nervous that it'll be more of the same here for those drawn to the completionist mentality (which I feel is most of us!), so I might immediately dive back in after completing it this time on a lower difficulty and just sprint through the story to solidify it in my mind and focus on it a little more than the video game aspects of it all. 

19 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I will always be happy when prequel/Clone Wars era stuff pops up so I'm a happy chap :D

Back when Fallen Order was in development, probably around 2016 onwards, public perception of the prequels was still pretty sour (in general, obviously plenty love them), which you tended to see with the direction of the films and, in this case, Fallen Order. Now that opinion has mellowed a lot recently, it looks like Survivor is happy to tie back to them in a big way. 

11 minutes ago, Julius said:

With wider open areas in some of the footage we've seen I am a little nervous that it'll be more of the same here for those drawn to the completionist mentality

It's funny you mention Ragnarok because as expertly crafted as the linear story missions are, some of the most fun I've had in that game is exploring off the beaten path and finding stuff to do. But I can appreciate the comment of it feeling bloated, I bought it at launch and I'm still working my way through it. It's not that I'm not enjoying it but it does feel like a slog at times.

Just now, Ronnie said:

Back when Fallen Order was in development, probably around 2016 onwards, public perception of the prequels was still pretty sour (in general, obviously plenty love them), which you tended to see with the direction of the films and, in this case, Fallen Order. Now that opinion has mellowed a lot recently, it looks like Survivor is happy to tie back to them in a big way. 

To quote the Chosen One himself: 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9528c7bd510f1c14936c

:p

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

It's funny you mention Ragnarok because as expertly crafted as the linear story missions are, some of the most fun I've had in that game is exploring off the beaten path and finding stuff to do. But I can appreciate the comment of it feeling bloated, I bought it at launch and I'm still working my way through it. It's not that I'm not enjoying it but it does feel like a slog at times.

Oh absolutely, don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the side content in Ragnarök, especially the challenging stuff, and even more so as someone who didn't touch much of the side content in GoW 2018! I haven't really spoken to my experience with the game yet (I'm sure I will at some point), but the fact that there were moments where I doubted - even if only for moments - that Elden Ring was my GOTY last year is a testament to how fantastic that game turned out. 

There's just a lot about it to me, at times, that remind me of The Last of Us Part II, which I think also suffers from scope creep, bloat, and pacing problems, and I feel like the three are kind of a vicious cycle to get caught in and hard to escape from. Things like the wider open areas, the story pacing (I won't get into it too much as you're still playing the game, but I remember voicing some concern over the potential pacing of this game after it was announced that it would bring to an end out Nordic journey rather than being a trilogy, and think it was somewhat earned), it's just not as lean and as purposeful, I guess, as it's predecessor.

Which is how I felt with The Last of Us Part II, kind of one of the reasons I haven't picked up Forbidden West yet, and a big part of why I'm a little cautious going into Survivor. Don't think it will make the game bad by any means if it does have some bloat, it's just something I'm noticing in a lot of sequels these days, and I'm not a huge fan of that direction :shakehead

I think the moment to moment gameplay doesn't suffer too much from scope creep imo. Similar to Forbidden West, it feels like more of the same, but in a perhaps expanded world. It definitely feels as though they're trying to cram a lot into Ragnarok given there won't be a third game though, things like having to feature every realm etc. And the pacing is definitely all over the place.

Have to say that after playing so much of Ragnarok's mostly corridor-ed level design, it'll be nice to go more open with things like Hogwarts and Survivor. 

Also need to play Elden Ring at some point. It'll be my first From/Souls game.

Another preview for Survivor, Mitch killed it:

This is going to be the fastest long two months in a while :laughing:

On 2/10/2023 at 1:24 PM, Ronnie said:

I think the moment to moment gameplay doesn't suffer too much from scope creep imo. Similar to Forbidden West, it feels like more of the same, but in a perhaps expanded world. It definitely feels as though they're trying to cram a lot into Ragnarok given there won't be a third game though, things like having to feature every realm etc. And the pacing is definitely all over the place.

Yeah, I think I totally agree with you, I guess it's just the general pacing being pretty clunky and the wider areas which make the moment-to-moment gameplay not necessarily feel repetitive or like it's outlived it's welcome, but maybe just like it's all a bit much in general. Which is exactly my issue with TLOU2 (well, that and other stuff), a game I also hold in very high regard but I just feel loses sight a bit of the pristinely right pacing of the first game. 

Still nearly knocked Elden Ring off its perch as GOTY for me last year though, so the fact I have issues with it and still think it's that good really speaks to how great a job SMS managed. 

On 2/10/2023 at 1:24 PM, Ronnie said:

Also need to play Elden Ring at some point. It'll be my first From/Souls game.

Would love to hear your thoughts when you get around to it :peace:

Story trailer hype:

(okay but why does the music keep wanting to break out into the main melody of the Game Awards theme :laughing:)

Oh, and also obligatory High Republic hypeeeeeeeeeee (and even more Coruscant muhahahahaha)

Edited by Julius

Looks amazing, can't wait. 

Also, I'm started to feel bad for TIE fighters

tumblr_p3otafk6o61w4t7wqo3_540.gif

Previews have been going up and look great, check a look:

And here's a clip from Kinda Funny showing off far more customisation options than I expected: 

Three and a half weeks to go! 

Wow customisation looks great. Nice to see positive reactions, the whole game sounds a big step up from Fallen Order which was already a great foundation.

How much do you think this is worth? Because I'm seeing it on Amazon for £65 on PS5, because I have a £25 voucher from my birthday, but that's still £40...

Unless you're itching to play it immediately when it comes out, i think its one of those games that will fall in price pretty quickly.

Last week's gameplay trailer, totally forgot to post it as I watched it in the queue for the Obi-Wan panel :laughing:

Hype. Two weeks to go! 

Edited by Julius

Sign in to follow this