NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

PlayStation State of Play (Thursday 2nd June @ 23:00 BST)

Am I the only one who thought Street Fighter 6 looked...a bit slow and heavy? 

Street Fighter 6 looks like the kind of game one of Capcom's Western studios would have made in the PS3/360 era, very odd artstyle.

Alright was not expecting Tunic to come over only 6 months after landing on Xbox

Season looks great! Totally my vibe, love the idea of just cycling around and taking photos

Edited by Julius

Just now, drahkon said:

I knew I was tempting fate by saying it wouldn't show here :laughing:

Square Enix!

yugioh-trap-card.gif

Just now, Julius said:

Noooooooo Summer 2023, Yoshi-P whyyyyyyyyy

:blank:

Yeah, further away than I was expecting. :( I guess we won't be seeing FFVII Part 2 any time soon.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Chuffed Tunic

I legitimately thought this was the name of a game when I read it

• Haha 3

So… Street Fighter 6 is now a Yakuza game, Final Fantasy 16 is now a Devil May Cry game and Resident Evil 4 is The Last of Us?

Am I living in bizzaro world?

• Haha 1

Just now, Jonnas said:

I legitimately thought this was the name of a game when I read it

It's a special edition of Tunic made for the PlayStation. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not gonna lie. Street Fighter 6 has an absolutely gorgeous aesthetic. Love me some street art! Don't care because Smash is the closest I'll get to being decent at Street Fighter, but still!

Final Fantasy XVI is basically Devil May Cry. It was pretty clear that was the direction it was going, but that trailer makes it even more blatant.
I thought Summer 2023 seemed pretty reasonable for the next mainline series, but whatever. I'd rather play a knock-off Devil May Cry then Final Fantasy XIII.

Resi 4 is gonna be ruined because all the cheese is going to be cut out and it's gonna lose all the fun. (Also it probably won't have motion controls, so why even bother?)

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, further away than I was expecting. :( I guess we won't be seeing FFVII Part 2 any time soon.

Likewise, definitely think this year for the anniversary was the aim, but it's weird because it's a bit out of line with what they've said recently (about a short lead time from their next showing to release). Then again, VII Remake was reintroduced around this time in 2019 and released within a year, so I guess there's some precedent for this sort of schedule, but outside of potential development delays due to COVID, I've got to imagine they've shuffled things around a bit with this being PS5 exclusive and there not being anywhere near as many PS5's out in the wild as there could be? 

And yeah, VII Remake Part II is probably like Spring 2024 now at the earliest I'd guess, maybe sneak in just before March 31st 2024 depending on the rest of their lineup for that fiscal year? It's a weird one too because there's stuff planned for FFVII's 25th anniversary (this month unless I'm mistaken?), so while I do want a trailer for Part II...if it's potentially that far out, I'd rather they wait. 

Do wonder at this stage which we'll get first: XVI or Pragmata :laughing: (who am I kidding it's probably XVI)

Just now, Dcubed said:

So… Street Fighter 6 is now a Yakuza game, Final Fantasy 16 is now a Devil May Cry game and Resident Evil 4 is The Last of Us?

Am I living in bizzaro world?

We are living in a world where the next Sonic game is a Zelda game. Nothing is off the table. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wish they would make Spider-Man Remastered available on PS5 as standalone, though I might just get the PC version.

Always wanted to try out Street Fighter, but not sure 6 will be the best entry point based on footage.

• Like 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

We are living in a world where the next Sonic game is a Zelda game. Nothing is off the table. 

And Zelda isn't even Zelda anymore, so...

I'm confused.

• Haha 3

Alright, while it's fresh and before I watch the XVI trailer over and over again until I fall asleep to it, I'll get some thoughts down. 

Won't lie, I thought we were opening with The Last of Us Remake, but obviously I should've been expecting Resident Evil 4! Yeah, I still want to play the original and other RE games, but March 24th sort of gives me a rough deadline to hopefully get through the first few games in that series. Can't particularly say this trailer did much for me as someone whose only experience with the game was watching a friend play it when I was younger, so I'm curious to see how RE fans react. Content being in the works for PSVR2 is good news...even if I'll never touch it.

Speaking of PSVR2, though, there was a lot less here than I was expecting -- maybe a blowout later in the summer or during the potential Showcase in September? RE Village in VR -- cool, I know people enjoyed VII in VR, but I won't ever do that to myself. The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners - Chapters 2: Retribution (oh my lord what a long title)...eh, couldn't really be less interested. No Man's Sky in VR makes total sense, but if I ever play that game, I'm probably just playing it on my TV. Horizon Call of the Mountain (are we really not sticking a colon in there? What do you mean Zero Dawn and Forbidden West didn't have colons, so this title needs to looks stupid too?) looks spectacular, but it kind of looks like a glorified tech demo and more like a ride than a game? Still, I'm curious, and hopefully it's a launch title for PSVR2 whenever it lands! 

Free update for Forbidden West is cool, I'm still waiting to be in the mood to go back to that world before picking up the game, but at least there'll be plenty for me to do when I get around to it. Spider-Man Remastered on PC is going to print money, I was really expecting it to be Returnal based on recent rumours but hey, I'm getting a Steam Deck at some point, this would be an awesome game to play on there (though I kind of also want to get it on PS5 for the trophies). Like @Ike mentioned, I'm really surprised that they still haven't separated Remastered as a standalone game from Miles Morales, though. 

Stray looks fun, it being included in PS+ Extra and above means I'm more likely to check it out, for sure! I'm waiting on Dead Space Remake so, sorry Callisto Protocol, but my space/horror survival energy is focused there. I thought Rollerdrome was Sable at first, based on its art style, and then when we saw rollerblades I was like "wait...didn't Ubisoft already release Roller Champions?", having not really kept up with that game after its initial announcement, so while there was no real interest from me to begin with, the lack of impact when breaking through the glass means I definitely won't be checking it out. Eternights, aka handholding simulator, looked incredibly generic...minus the handholding and the calendar. Seems such a weird game to announce so far out with it coming in 2023. 

Street Fighter 6 did nothing for me, the gameplay looked very laboured, and I think that art style suited one, maybe two of its characters? I'm not a big fighting game guy, so hopefully this is doing something for SF and FGC fans, but I don't see this pulling in more casual players (not that that was necessarily the aim). Wasn't expecting Tunic to turn up here, at all, much less get a release date in September, just some six months after its launch on Xbox after having been so heavily tied to the platform in its marketing for years! Which is to say, yeah, I'm very interested in checking it out. Season: A letter to the future. is absolutely up my alley, love it's vibe, colour palette, and what I can gather about the general flow of the game. 

And then we finish on Final Fantasy XVI. Summer 2023 is soul-crushing, but hey, at least now I've got a second trailer that I can watch a load of times! 

Overall, I thought it was a really good State of Play. Nothing exceptionally crazy beyond XVI (which was balanced out by being so far away), even if I expected to see more from PSVR2 after it got name-dropped, but I guess that's a tale for another time! 

My Verdict: 8.5/10

Spoiler

February

State of Play: Gran Turismo 7 - 8.0/10

Nintendo Direct: February 2022 - 9.5/10

Pokémon Presents: Pokémon Day 2022 - 7.0/10

March

State of Play: March 2022 - 4.5/10

May

Indie World Showcase: May 2022 - 6.5/10

June

State of Play: June 2022 - 8.5/10

Curious now to see what, if anything, turns up at Summer Game Fest, as this State of Play didn't add a big hitter to the slate for the second half of this year, which was a bit odd; it felt like something like that was missing. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, killthenet said:

Street Fighter 6 looks like the kind of game one of Capcom's Western studios would have made in the PS3/360 era, very odd artstyle.

The art style reminds me of the GameCube spaceworld tech demo videos.

Not much for me in this one. Was already looking forward to Stray, but being in PS++ makes me want to wait for a sale.

Might which a let's play of Horizon VR for any story stuff.

I'm confused.
Zelda is now a Far Cry/Assassin's Creed game.

2 minutes ago, bob said:

Zelda is now a Far Cry/Assassin's Creed game.

@Dcubed literally said the same thing to me, minus the Far Cry bit!

Funny reading a couple of comments about Zelda not being Zelda any more when BOTW is as close to the original Legend of Zelda on NES than we've ever had since.

As for the State of Play, sounds solid enough, without anything major. I gave up on watching them for good reason but looks like they finally put out an ok one.

Edited by Ronnie

I mean, aside from BoTW feeling and playing almost nothing like Assassin's Creed, sure, it's like Assassin's Creed.

Assassin's Creed also feels a bit like Mario now that I think about it, on account of the third person camera perspective.

I'm confused.
People say the same thing every time a series is shaken up. I wonder if you were there saying this when OoT came out.

Sign in to follow this