NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

PlayStation State of Play (Thursday 2nd June @ 23:00 BST)

Tune in live next Thursday, June 2 for nearly 30 minutes of announcements and updates from the world of PlayStation.

We’ll have some exciting reveals from our third-party partners, plus a sneak peek at several games in development for PlayStation VR2.

Obligatory:

• Let's goooooooooo PS VR2

• XVI or we riot 

• Ragnarök is coming :p (EDIT after the description: or is it..?)

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if Astro Bot will show up? The first VR game was absolutely amazing and a bit of a system seller. It would be foolish not to have a follow up for the PSVR2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I wonder if Astro Bot will show up? The first VR game was absolutely amazing and a bit of a system seller. It would be foolish not to have a follow up for the PSVR2.

Oh man, that's a good shout :D think Astro's Playroom is honestly still my favourite PS5 exclusive experience, and while I do really want a fully fledged console title, I'd be down for more Astro in any form! Speaking of which, hopefully they confirm backwards compatibility for PS VR titles -- unless I've missed something, don't think we've got that confirmation yet? I don't really doubt it'll happen, but the sooner I know I can play VR Rescue Mission, the sooner I'm onboard to get a VR2 :p

There was also that news recently that there were some 20+ PS VR2 first- and third-party titles slated for launch...

tdgw31.png

...which makes me wonder what else could be in the works. Resident Evil VIII VR that I'll never touch? Final Fantasy XVI fishing game? Half-Life Alyx, dare we dream? Final Fantasy XVI fishing game?! 

• Like 1

Next time, push the show further into the night please. Make it 2am for us European suckers. :( 

• Haha 2

According to sources of the popular YouTube channel PSVR without Parole, a Killzone VR game was in development at Supermassive Games. We know that The Quarry developer teased further projects with Sony all the way back in 2018, stating that it was working on "several unannounced PlayStation exclusives". One of these, allegedly, was Killzone VR.

PSVR without Parole claims that the platform holder was unhappy with the project's progress, however, and decided to bring it in-house. They then hypothesise that development may have switched to PSVR2, as sales of the company's original virtual reality headset started to slow down. If true, it's possible the title may be announced during next week's State of Play.

Interesting. Shame it wasn't Resistance. That IP needs a new game.

• Like 2

According to sources of the popular YouTube channel PSVR without Parole, a Killzone VR game was in development at Supermassive Games. We know that The Quarry developer teased further projects with Sony all the way back in 2018, stating that it was working on "several unannounced PlayStation exclusives". One of these, allegedly, was Killzone VR.

PSVR without Parole claims that the platform holder was unhappy with the project's progress, however, and decided to bring it in-house. They then hypothesise that development may have switched to PSVR2, as sales of the company's original virtual reality headset started to slow down. If true, it's possible the title may be announced during next week's State of Play.
Interesting. Shame it wasn't Resistance. That IP needs a new game.
Resistance had such innovative and fun guns. I'd love to have another sequel.
  • Like 1

Curiously, this event is now being branded by PlayStation themselves under the Summer Game Fest banner:

With the focus here described as being third party and VR games by PlayStation, I wonder if there's a chance that, in partnership with Geoff, they've given him one of their big games to show off at Summer Game Fest Live next week? 

I think they could easily sneak in Ragnarök trailer and release date at the end of this State of Play (even if the entire State of Play isn't centred around first party), but I think there's just a good chance that Geoff turned up at Hermen's door with all of the analytics from last year's event, when they got to close Summer Game Fest Live with the Elden Ring trailer, and has tried to convince him and PlayStation that a game like that could close their show. The main reason I highlight Ragnarök is that there's just been a whole lot of noise around it the last 4 - 6 weeks, but I could also imagine something like The Last of Us remake turning up there. 

Guess we'll just have to wait and see :D

We're going to be getting a better look at Horizon Call of the Mountain, which isn't too surprising:

I don't even watch SoPs for the games anymore. After every trailer I try to figure out which comments will be repeated most on certain forums.

"Worst SoP to date."
"Went in with no expectations, still left disappointed."
"Why did no first party games get announced?"
"[insert company] does better shows."
"So Sony has no games coming?"
"WHERE'S KNACK 3/BLOODBORNE REMASTER/SLY 5?

:p 

In all seriousness, I expect nothing. Will I be disappointed, though? COME IN AND FIND OUT!

Oh and also: Never watched cricket :o 

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Oh and also: Never watched cricket :o 

Pffft, you don't watch cricket? You're missing out. I watch cricket all the time.

I mean, just look at it!

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952aaf489831160b6cda

:p

But yeah, my expectations aren't too high going into this. I don't think State of Plays have been super consistent (we've had everything from a VII Remake revival to one advertised as focusing on Little Devil Inside which didn't get a release date? That was super strange!), so if anything it's that inconsistency which I'd criticise, but at least we probably have a Showcase to look forward to in September to hit it out of the park in the worst case scenario. 

I'm excited to learn more about PSVR2 and the games they've got cooking for that, and while we're expecting Final Fantasy XVI news soonish, I'm not hanging my hat on it being here (even if they're promising exciting third party reveals, so I guess it's more likely than the next game I'll mention). Same goes for Ragnarök. It'll come when it comes, and I think we get news on both this summer, but Summer Game Fest is next week and well, I think they'd probably make a bigger splash there ::shrug:

Imagine some of the patience I'm exercising this time around probably has a bit to do with just not playing too many games these past few months though (well, I've still been playing games, just a lot of long ones). Thanks for that, Elden Ring, for deciding my GOTY in Feb :p

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

Pffft, you don't watch cricket? You're missing out. I watch cricket all the time.

I mean, just look at it!

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952aaf489831160b6cda

bH9_Hd.gif

• Haha 2

RE4 Remake is definitely looking too serious, I'm sure it'll be a great game but it just won't feel the same without all the goofy shit

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

Oh they've brought the big guns 

You talking about Lady D in VR? :p 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow they really aren't fooling around on PC, huh?

As if Spider-Man hadn't already sold enough copies! 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Spidey on PC is gonna make some serious money.

%D7%A7%D7%95%D7%95%D7%99%D7%9F%D7%A4%D7%

• Haha 1

What is this obsession with the horror genre these days? 

Fuck off with that.

Edit: Stray coming with the higher PS+ tiers is awesome.

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 2

Wait what? This State of Play isn’t complete shite?

Of all the ones I choose to not watch…

Just now, Julius said:

R2 to hold hands

Next-gen has truly arrived

You're_Too_Slow_Banner.jpg

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this