NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

All-new PlayStation Plus: Premium / Deluxe | Extra | Essential

22 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Will you stay subscribed to Essential?

Probably. I usually wait a month or so after my subscription lapses and think things over but I always end up getting PS+ again eventually. 

26 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I know you prefer actually buying games, same as I, but there's no denying that it's ridiculous value given the amount of games on the service. 

The problem is that the majority of games that are in this service that are worth playing I have already played. There's only the PS3 stuff which I would probably dip into but I'd only play those if you could download them, which you can't.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The problem is that the majority of games that are in this service that are worth playing I have already played.

Fair enough.

But it would be worth it, if the service just had 3-4 games you haven't played, yet, which would cost 15-20 bucks each :D 
You can't tell me you've played all of those :p 

• Haha 1

That's good to hear, was slightly annoyed we (as in UK, EU etc) were getting the PAL versions.

So far, so good.  I've downloaded Mafia and Toy Story II from the classics to try over the weekend, if i can get off Sonic Origins that is

I mean i'm fine with PAL games since i grew up playing them but the Americans seemed to have lost their shit about it.

Man, the curation of the new PS Plus kind of blows. Don't feel like there's much visibility on the huge number of games available, and the filters suck too (who the hell is only going to want to filter by genre for most of these groups of games, Jim Ryan? Who?!), so hopefully that improves sooner rather than later. I'm shocked that there's no 'The Best of PlayStation' section to house all of the first party titles, I feel like the majority that's the selling point? 

Being subscribed is already coming in handy, though. I normally jump on with my friends on Fridays after work, but as one of us has been jumping on GT7 during these sessions (when none of the rest of us are in the mood and kind of have to do our own thing because of that), Fridays have become my "chill or just try something" day for games while I talk to my mates in the background. I'd been thinking about picking up Tetris Effect - Connected for a while, and with me now needing a game to chill out to, it seems like a game that would tick all the boxes for me. I didn't see it in the sale, so thought I'd check it's price and potentially just give in, but it's in the new PS Plus games catalogue, so that's a win :D

I've also downloaded Toy Story to give it a spin when I'm in the mood and make my younger self proud, excited to revisit it but a little nervous about how clunky it'll probably feel! 

5 hours ago, Julius said:

I've also downloaded Toy Story to give it a spin when I'm in the mood and make my younger self proud, excited to revisit it but a little nervous about how clunky it'll probably feel! 

Clunky is definitely the word I would use when playing some of these classic games. I upgraded my PS+ for my remaining 2 months and fired up Everybody's Golf, Ape escape and Syphon Filter. Everybody's Golf is fine but Ape Escape and Syphon Filter are pretty rough to play. The control scheme for Syphon Filter is going to take some getting used to and Ape Escape just feels awful in general. A couple of years ago I played through Ape Escape 2 on the PS4 and it certainly felt like a much more polished version of the original.

I'm still playing Shredder's Revenge and Nexomon and so I didn't put that much time into any of these titles but wanted to give them a quick go to get a sense of how well they have aged. I'll probably play through at least one of them over the weekend.

• Like 1

Oh nooooo, the clunkiness will probably annoy me a bit when I start my Ape Escape journey later today :D 

Surprised I can actually stream PS3 games with my connection. Was thinking it was going to refuse but it actually works. Working my way through Ape Escape and Arkham Origins again.

I fired it up Ape Escape again this evening and it started it click with me a little more. The game is rough around the edges but it does have a certain charm to it.

I'm really enjoying Everybody's Golf. It's such a chilled out game. I'm just unlocking characters at the moment in the VS mode. 

Well I played maybe about 3-4 hours of Death Stranding and came away feeling it was a crock of garbage. Honestly, I'm struggling to think of a game more dull than this! So much visual clutter and information overload in menus/mission select screens, a seriously convoluted story (I know it's Kojima, but still), but worst of all - delivering packages. Whyyyy. Why is this a thing? Running along repetitive terrain while pressing L2 or R2 periodically to balance is so very boring.

Maybe you guys who've played it all the way through can rebuff me here but what I actually played makes me never want to go back!

3 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Maybe you guys who've played it all the way through can rebuff me here but what I actually played makes me never want to go back!

Don't go back. It's a game you either love or hate. And you seem to hate it, so move on.

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

Don't go back. It's a game you either love or hate. And you seem to hate it, so move on.

Yeah, pretty much this. 

The game is one you'll either love or absolutely hate. I've seen very few people who have landed in the middle when it comes to how they feel about the game.

As for me, I loved it. I generally hate giant, empty open worlds in games but there was something special about this one. The game was built on moments. Walking down the mountains and hearing a song kick in, thinking you are stuck but then finding a ladder or bridge someone had left behind, building a road and then firing the game up the next day to find it has been completed, all of these things made for a very unique and memorable experience for me.

The story is completely bonkers and I'll be lying if I knew completely what was going on in the game but I did find that the smaller side quests offered some meaningful and touching narratives.

@Sheikah given that you have already found they game repetitive, I would just call it a day and move on, especially as you now have many other games at your fingertips that you could be enjoying.

• Like 1

Ah, here was me thinking we could all have a good bitch about it. Well, seeing as you guys liked it it's making me think I should give it one more chance. I know you're telling me to do exactly the opposite but I'm stubborn like that.

• Haha 1

Hmm.. I have Tekken 2 on PS3 so figured I'd be able to download it on my PS4 but can't for some reason.

Anyone know why?

10 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Hmm.. I have Tekken 2 on PS3 so figured I'd be able to download it on my PS4 but can't for some reason.

Anyone know why?

I don't know the exact details, but I saw something about Namco blocking the purchase of some of their games on this service. Tekken 2 seems to be one of them.

Edited by Glen-i

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I don't know the exact details, but I saw something about Namco blocking the purchase of some of their games on this service. Tekken 2 seems to be one of them.

I went onto the PS3 store this morning to pick up Toy Story 2 for the boys but couldn't add funds on there and I don't want to add more funds than necessary as I never play the PS4 these days.

While I was on there, I did notice that games like Tekken and Ridge Racer Type 4 weren't available to purchase anymore!

I just played and finished Minit. What a charming little game, felt very much like a concise Link's Awakening. Probably the quickest platinum trophy I've ever earned.

Essential games are up.

Arcadegeddon hasn't gotten its full release update, yet, though.

10 hours ago, drahkon said:

Arcadegeddon hasn't gotten its full release update, yet, though.

It's there now.

Completed the tutorial and it seems like it could be a lot of fun. Solo probably not for very long, but in co-op this might be an absolute delight.
My mates aren't responding to my suggestion to give it a go together, though :blank: 

Edit: By the way, if you're into that kind of music, check out the game's playlist on Spotify. It's got some bangers.

Edited by drahkon

Sooo, Arcadegeddon is just pure fun :o 

Even solo I'm enjoying it a lot right now.

Here's how it goes:

1. start a run
  2. kill stuff
  3. collect stuff
  4. do some challenges (mostly king of the hill, destroy this and that, kill boss)
  5. kill more stuff
  6. collect more stuff
  7. rinse and repeat until you die or quit your run

With the incredible gunplay and movement it's just a joy.

It's a little rough around certain edges and it will need a constant influx of content to stay afloat, but for now it's really good :) 

(of course, there's some MTX shenanigans but aside from the - I hate that shit - Premium cosmectics, everything seems to be unlockable by simply playing the game)

As I've learned, here are some of the games that are going to be added on the 19th on PS Plus (Premium+Plus): Stray, FFVII Remake Intergrade + FF7R EPISODE INTERmission, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered, Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry, Assassin's Creed The Ezio Collection, Saints Row IV: Re-Elected.

Apparently the guy saying this has leaked PS+ stuff before.

• Like 2

Wow, bold to leak Stray coming to the service. :p 

Don't care much for the Assassin's Creed games anymore, but if FF7R EPISODE INTERmission is coming I'll be over the moon.

I think Black Flag is the only Creed game that I played but never got the Platinum on. This was because of all the online multiplayer trophies. If the list is true, it will be tempting to finish what I started all those years ago. 

Well there you have it, July's games:

Also being added but not pictured:

• Assassin’s Creed Unity | PS4
• Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag | PS4
• Assassin’s Creed Rogue Remastered | PS4
• Assassin’s Creed Freedom Cry | PS4
• Assassin’s Creed: The Ezio Collection | PS4
• Saints Row IV: Re-Elected | PS4
• Saints Row Gat out of Hell | PS4
• Spirit of the North: Enhanced Edition | PS5
• Ice Age: Scrat’s Nutty Adventure | PS4
• Jumanji The Video Game | PS4